abwsco

Clothes shopping

Please tell me I'm not alone in loathing it. Been doing it today and am exasperated by the sizing. Bought 2 tops today both identical apart from the colour and had to buy them in different sizes :? and as for jeans, I gave up after trying on 10 pairs and not finding a pair that fitted properly.

You're not alone. I hate it. Sizes are all over the place - well my size is anyway! There is no point in my even looking for trousers in most places. Even when they are long enough (pretty rare!) they seem to want to sit on my hip so that the muffin top look comes into play. Not a good look on anyone (imho!) and certainly not someone of my age and size!

I hate it too! All my trousers (don't wear skirts :lol:) come from Sainsbury so I can try them on in the privacy of my own home... and all my tops/hoodies/t-shirts are Animal or Quiksilver from play.com :lol:

Holiday shopping (=bikini :shock: ) is even worse :evil: Sainsbury saved the day again there - I bought them in all sizes then took a lot back!

Have never tried Sainsburys for clothes as ours only has a small selection and no fittings rooms. Forgot to say that I tried on 6 pairs of jeans in Asda last week with the same result-lol Oh, and forgot I bought another top but needed yet another size in that so my purchases today were in size 12, 14 & 18 :?

Personal shopper. :cool: Obviously not Sainsbury/Asda, but most large department stores will have a service, and it's usually free. I've used Debenhams several times, as they have a wide range of franchises, i.e.Wallis as well as more expensive stuff. There's no obligation to buy, although I go with a budget and plan to get a certain number of things, and they are fabulous at finding things the right size and shape while you relax with a coffee and a magazine. It's also encouraged me to try things that I wouldn't normally buy - I usually get some basics e.g. black trousers, cardigan/jacket and a couple of tops, and then I'll try and find similar tops in cheaper stores.

I loathe shopping, and it's the only thing that makes it bearable!

Hate it. I get a lot of clothes from Land's End, it does have some stuff that's not too fuddy duddy. But the glorious thing is that the sizing is American so you can select a size smaller than normal and the cut is generous anyway.

I bought some of their 'activity trousers' ( that always seems packed with innuendo somehow) and they're light, well fitted and sit at the perfect height on the waist. I'm very happy with them and I can confidently wear nice little summer tops with them. I bought some swimmers from them earlier in the year and they are so flattering that I went back to swimming after many years absence.

They seem to get that most women aren't shaped like boys!

I too hate clothes shopping, I have the combination of broad shoulders, muscular upper arms and thighs that belong on a rugby player ( not an ounce of flab on them I might add) and I'm only 5ft2 ...............there's some shops I don't even bother venturing in, I know my arms won't fit in the sleeves/ trousers won't go above the knees!

One of my work colleagues decided that she would accompany me on a trip to Bluewater once (she didn't believe my protestations about clothes shopping) she was amazed that Fat Face clothes would fit a treat but Zara was a total waste of time. We did manage to find some clothes that fitted but it was a nightmare ( and she has refused to ever shop with me again :lol: )

I have to say the personal shopper thing does sound like a good idea, Mr W reckons I would be their worst nightmare.........he once said I would put Gok Wan's skills to the test!

Another clothes shopping hater here.

I have just bought a few things from the Fashion Union sale online though. I had a size 12 summer skirt from them last year and it fitted OK so have treated myself to a few things. My wardrobe needs a mini overhaul to keep it passable fashionwise, especially for work.

I also have different dress size hips to my waist, so what fits my waist doesn't touch my hips. I really have a gripe about sleeve widths though. I used to be underweight and sleeves were perfect. Now I am a well rounded 9.5 stone, I find that sleeves on all sizes of clothing are too tight, I haven't got big arms so what's that all about??

Probably why I enjoy charity shops so much, I can buy clothes for a pound and it's no great loss if they don't fit well. I also buy whatever size looks like it'll fit, hence my wardrobe ranges from a size 8 to 16 :shock:

Bring back waist high trousers :D

My trouble is I buy a top or bottom and then realise that I've got nothing that goes with it at home. I seem to never buy 'normal' coloured clothes thus making it really hard to get anything to go with it. :roll:

I keep saying I'm only going to buy a complete outfit from now on, trouble is that can work out expensive.

I have got a couple of short trousers from Sainsburys and they fit lovely :D For special things I really like Monsoon and Wallis. I like Boden too but they tend to come up a bit small so usually have to buy size bigger.

OH keeps saying to me that I should go and have a personal shopping experience so I might take him up on that (I think he's just fed up of me moaning every time we go out that I've got nothing to wear) :lol:

I love shopping for clothes but rapidly become frustrated that there is very little selection in my size (6). I also have quite different sizes top and bottom - 6 bottom, 10 top thanks to very broad shoulders. Also some of size 6's are now too big for me. I'm exactly the same measurement as I was when I was 18 (now 51) and yet I've gone from a size 10 to a size 6. I usually like lots of things but they are only available in larger sizes, and a lot of dresses don't suit because I have to have enough room for my shoulders, but the hips and boobs are all baggy. Very frustrating.

If I find something that fits I tend to buy it and then figure out whether I have anything to go with it (usually not!). I can't buy in Sainsbury's/Asda because they don't do my size. Next does size 6 but it is too big and I'm fed up of having to wear a belt to hold my trousers up! In consequence I usually buy online from Boden, Republic, Joe Browns or similar.

Sizing should be standard across all manufacturers and retailers so we know what we are buying. They should also recognize that there are different shapes - I have broad shoulders, no real waist to speak of and small hips, but stuff that would fit me wouldn't fit another similar-sized person with a large bust and hips but smaller waist. It would take a lot of frustration out of clothes shopping to have standard sizes and at least two fits (slim or straight and curvy).

I have a wardrobe full of clothes but and the same as previously posted - nothing matches at all! - I buy on a whim and as I am quite generously proportioned ahem! - I buy what fits and usually when I get home nothing matches!

consequently I have nothing to wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also have stuff which is too small and keep it in the hope of losing weight - (I wish)

Hate it Hate it Hate it! Not even interested in clothes, never mind shopping for them. Do it all on line from Next as their clothes always seem to fit my shape.

How can anyone like it? My husband never worries when I reluctantly drag myself out to buy clothes. He does however go pale and tries to remove my credit card if I mention garden centres. :lol:

i hate it to and having gone from a 12 to a 16 in a year i am having to do a fair amount of it. I used to go to long tall sally for tops and skirts, marks for trousers and white stuff and fat face for tops. Now though i have been buying from sainsburys and found their stuff quite good and cheap, although very hit and miss on teh sizing

I am soooo glad I am not alone. I get odd looks at work when I say I loathe it.

Hate it Hate it Hate it! Not even interested in clothes, never mind shopping for them. Do it all on line from Next as their clothes always seem to fit my shape.

How can anyone like it? My husband never worries when I reluctantly drag myself out to buy clothes. He does however go pale and tries to remove my credit card if I mention garden centres. :lol:

Kate, what a shame you don't like it as I could have taken you along to be my personal shopper-lol

Chalk me up as another one! I'm giving up wearing trousers I think - I can never find any to fit my hips and my waist at the same time. Grr. Plus I'm a bit of a pygmy so jacket sleeves are always too long and I look like I'm wearing fancy dress.

I really like Bravissimo's clothes but a) they're really expensive and b) given how expensive they are, I want much better quality fabric than they use.

I am a size 16-18 and I find that the best place for Jeans is New Look (although they have recently rebranded so hoping when I need some new ones they will still fit!).

I am also now totally converted to Joe Browns online. Their stuff is a perfect fit and is just so nice. It does smell funny when it arrives though, but after a good wash is perfect. They are obviously more pricey than Primark, but worth it as a treat