Cinnamon

First sowings of the season

Potted up 2 Cucumber - Hana. Seedlings that I bought from Homebase yesterday :oops:

The Tomato seeds I planted still have not germinated :? Homebase had some lovely looking tomato plants which I very nearly bought. May go and buy some at the end of the week if my seeds haven't appeared.

Having cut down our 'rapidly growing and overtaking the garden' bramley at the end of last year I put in some King Edwards in the freed up space. :P ES and I constructed a sort of cage of branches over the top to stop the three bantams scratching there until the shoots are up (two are broody and the third is a bit half hearted now, though!) Do hope the spuds survive the girls! :roll:

Also got some dwarf broad beans into pots on the fenced off patio to accompany last weeks peas and planted up the seed grown sweet peas together with another tray of same for the windowsill (only because there is a plant swap at the pub in a couple of weeks and I want to take some reasonable offerings so that I don't feel mean wandering home with an armful of freebie goodies!!! Will also take the excess seed pots! :oops::whistle: )

Only the dwarf parsnips to go - maybe tomorrow if the weather holds and I have enough compost! I've some foxgloves, comfrey and mullein to go in to the border when they have grown on a bit and can, I hope, survive the girls! :wall:

The wild garlic seems a bit slow this year - not sure if that will get pecked to death too?! Only got our girls last July at 8 weeks so I am somewhat dubious about what they will and wont consume - thank goodness for E-bay; the comfrey, mullein and foxgloves were a fraction of garden centre prices! :dance:

Just off for a relaxing soak now.....ahhhhhh! :D

(white chicken) Casserole

white chicken) Korma

(white chicken) Kiev

(green eglu)

Been pricking out like mad lately. Hellllooooo puffy ankles! :roll: Peppers and aubergines all potted on now and toms potted up again to an even bigger pot. Just beginning to see side shoots - which will make more plants later. :dance: More beans and peas sown, more leeks and assorted flowers. Geraniums, petunias and busy Lizzies have all been potted on and pretty much take up all the space along the top shelf. The beans in the pot noodles are looking much better than the root trainer ones. I think they will have to be for peas and smaller seeds. Also been planting strawbs and other shrubs. OH and I hammered in posts around the fruity beds and netting is on order. Mum said it looked like a petrified forest out there. :roll:

You can do that, but I prefer to just break them off and stick them in a 3" flowerpot of compost - plain and simple. It will look sad for a couple of days, just water well - whenever you do the parent plants really - and all of a sudden it will ping up and hey presto - as many tomato plants as you can handle! :D

Where did you get the echinaea from and is this the stuff used to boost the immune system?

Yes, it is the stuff to boost the immune system, but I like the flower. I think you need echinacea Purea (sp) for health benefits, these are 'white swan' and look great in the garden. I bought them from Wilkinsons.

Picked up some sad looking mange tout seedlings reduced in Homebase. A quick water with seaweed and water and they are looking good now. 8)

Today I have a hit list of seeds to get sown:

Carrots (second lot)

Radish

Pak Choi

Knee high Sweet peas

Parsley

Courgette Black Beauty

Poppies

I am also freeing up my windowsills & moving everything into the greenhouse,earthing up my spuds & getting the grow bags in place,so I know what is going where 8)

Also,I wanted to ask some advice.

I am growing a fair bit of salady stuff this year - mixed cut & come again,Rocket & so forth,& can envisage it sown in squares - the seeds just scattered,rather than in rows.

I don't know why I think that this would be a good idea,but it just seems right.

Has anyone else done this ever,or do you sow your salad leafs in rows?

I do salad in long trays and go for a cut and come again mix, plus some frisee and radichio on same principle. works a treat - so long as I remember to sow every week/10 days.

those of you who do lettuce etc in the ground - dont you find it it a bit of a faff? or is there some secret that I'm missing? I am a VERY lazy gardener though...

We grow most of our lettuce at home in raised beds where it grows nice and lush, i usually do it in rows so that I know here it is for weeding etc and it is easier to resow to the side then pull up the older plants and feed to the hens. We grow loads of lettuce because the girls eat all the excess they love lettuce :D I find it we grow it at the allotment the sand from the soil gets into it too much when it rains, lettuce with the wrong kind of crunch :vom:

find it we grow it at the allotment the sand from the soil gets into it too much when it rains, lettuce with the wrong kind of crunch :vom:

ah I think that would happen here, as we are about 30 yds from the sea. sandy salad, bleurk. hence the long tray choice. I have a new cold frame on order, but it is so warm I'm just going to chuck a tray load together tomorrow and let it take its chances...

How exciting -lots of germinating seeds. I have sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, basil, echinacea, cosmos and lots of other seeds beginning to germinate in my greenhouse. I love coming home from work and seeing if anything else has managed to poke through the soil in the course of the day - Isn't nature wonderful :)