Cinnamon

First sowings of the season

(guess it will be blue poo day tomorrow :lol: ) .

Been there done that! Confused me big time until I worked out what they had been eating!! Was worried they had found some slug pellets or something from somewhere - who knows where!

But back on topic - you are all putting me to shame, I am behind this year! On Maternity leave from end of next week - guess will start sowing then. And then just hope that when Bubba arrives I still have time to tend to some of the plants - if not there is always the parents to help out if they aren't too busy with little 'un!

I finally planted something :dance: The shallots went in today, bit late, but it is such a late season.

OH did the broad beans a few weeks back in the greenhouse, because our autumn ones on the allotment were a complete failure, the new ones are coming on really well :D

We will be back at the allotment tomorrow hopefully, it was lovely there this morning. :D

I put some dwarf gladioli in the border :D and potted my huge sprouting begonia corms. I have four bought from Aldi three years ago and the biggest is six inches across. Last year it went crazy and bloomed for months tumbling down a chimney pot.

Spuds are chitting well but still too cold for them. Hubby emptied one of our big compost bins into the potato bed and dug it over. Bin is chicken poo/garden and kitchen waste and it's wonderful compost. We have five on the go :D:D

Hubby also doubled the height of several of my raised beds yesterday,moved my Pea netting climber thing,laid a lovely new patio around the compost bins & along the greenhouse & moved our Belfast sinks to outside the greenhouse,for my herbs.

It all looks brilliant :P

we are getting 4 ex batts in the middle of april and i cant wait!!!

i'm ridiculously excited-i've already said to o/h that i doubt i'll sleep the night before-it'll like be being 6 again 'i'm going to bed now (at 6pm) so that morning will come sooner!!' :dance:

The scaffold planks were a bargain (i think). We needed a couple of 10 footers for using for decorating the stairs so with those and i think its 3 or 4 8fts with delivery we paid £40 (50p a foot and £10 delivery)

We're also going to use them for the kickboards on the WIR

How many/what do you have?

Well as March is galloping on, I really needed to get some seeds started. So this weekend I sowed (in modules) lettuce, leek, chard, tomatoes (two varieties), parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and greek basil. I also have some winter squash seeds and mangetout that I need to start but I've not got around to that yet. I have a couple of days off this week so that will be the perfect opportunity. I'd also like to grow borlotti beans, but I've not bought the seeds yet.

Hubby and I also dug a lot of compost out of our compost bin today to spread on the raised beds. It's a mix of grass cuttings, veg peelings and chicken poo/bedding. It looks brilliant - really good, crumbly stuff. There were some weird bits in it though, which on closer inspection we identified as mango stones, avocado stones and coconut husks! :lol: They must take an awfully long time to break down.

My Peas & Beans are showing their little faces,so encouraged by this & the nice weather I got 6 types of Tomatoes sown today :P

As soon as the Peas & Beans are big enough & its warm enough for them to go into the greenhouse,I will get my third & final batch on the windowsills - courgettes,Q & Squash.

Cinnamon I'm envious :roll::roll:

Heavens, It's 7˚ here and this morning there was a hard frost.

My spuds are still smiling in the downstairs bay window saying please don't put us in the ground yet.

I have just spent the weekend in Sheringham and I am amazed at how much further forward the season is.

Driving down through the Lincolnshire wolds lots of fields are absolutely ablaze with daffodils....I thought from a distance they were OSR ...bit early, I thought :oops::oops::oops:

On the coast redcurrant is blooming and the garden centres were doing brisk trade in six inch tall tomato and cucumber plants.

Wow you are all doing so well! I've only just managed to get the allotment back under control following it's neglect last year!

Anyway, this morning, with hubbys help, we achieved 3 cleared raised beds and I got the onion sets planted. I daren't plant the potatoes yet as the last few mornings have been very frosty still.

The greenhouse is also about ready to start again - but I haven't got anything to plant yet! I may just cheat a bit this year and buy some plants from the nursery. Otherwise I'll be way behind again if I try to do seeds!

I planted loads of onion sets yesterday, it took me over 3 hours that gives you an idea of how many there are, we likes our onions we does :lol: They are covered with enviromesh at the moment to keep the pesky birds at bay, it seems to work better than anything else, they don't like the shimmer on it.

OH rotavated most of our allotment while I was planting, so we are ready to go :D

finnaly started to sow seeds today :- 3 types of cabbage, 1of cauli, strawberrys,onoins and 8 types of heritage tomatoes to be going on with.one thing I noticed is how few seeds were in the packets of regular seeds commered to last year

also made a start on planting my conservation spuds in the poly pots only managed 4 varieties through

I sowed some petunias, snap dragons, different sorts of sunflowers, sweetcorn, tomatoes, leeks, spring onions & runner beans just over a week ago. This afternoon I've sown..hollyhocks, delphiniums & carnations.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll sow the Echinea, lupins, ornamental poppys, zinnia, radish, carrots & lettuce. Once I've got some more compost. I've gone flower mad this year - I just love flowers & I hope to have a proper sunflower patch plus cottagey garden looking fleurs! :D

Emma.x

Well our Sungold toms have all appeared - only 10 seeds in the packet, but I'll get more plants by potting up sideshoots later. I have potted them on and they are now out of their incubator and just get a fleece cover at night. We have loads of peppers popping up - just a little longer and I will pot them on too. 3 different sorts. The onion seeds are shooting up and so have my Brussels sprouts and calabrese - they will need to be pricked out very soon. Leeks have been sown and so have my parsnips (3 different sorts there too). Sadly not organic compost like I wanted - doesn't come up to scratch, so I've used John Innes no. 1 (Westland) for the sowing compost. It's very sandy and fine, but the results are very good. Have got some Westland Multi purpose but its a bit too lumpy for potting on, so I've mixed it 50/50 with the seed compost. So far so good.

In the garden already I have garlic and Japanese winter onions which are doing extremely well this year (must be all the chicken poo) and I've only just planted some maincrop sets, a couple are showing a bit of green - in spite of surrounding the newbies with cloches and canes over the top, a naughty cat has jumped in and out. I can see the footprints. So with regard to my parsnip seeds I have put DS's old metal bed frame over the top. See if you can dig through that bad pussy! :twisted: The onion seeds will be popped in the rest of that bed. Have sown Lazy Housewife beans, but not showing yet. Still lots to do. :D

My Topolino sunflowers have popped their heads through the compost & have 2 lush leaves per seedling. :dance: Spring onions have sprouted - my those are fine hair like things! I have 1 sweetcorn that has germinated & is just about poking through the compost, plus one lonely runner bean that is about to poke through too.

Wonder what will be next?

I so wanted to plant some radish yesterday, but realised that I'd bought beetroot instead of radish seeds. :oops::roll:

Ahh well, have sown the beetroot direct in the ground under the cold frame for protection from the chooks pecking them. Will thin out once they have sprouted. The old chooks ( bless their little angels) :cry: once invaded my mini poly tunnel full of leeks, radish, sweetcorn & beetroot. I just couldn't shout & somewhere I have a photo of it. Will have to root it out & post it on here.

I've just planted red onion seeds. Surely they will take forever to grow - when can I expect a decent sized normal onion?

Emma.x

My Topolino sunflowers have popped their heads through the compost & have 2 lush leaves per seedling. :dance: Spring onions have sprouted - my those are fine hair like things! I have 1 sweetcorn that has germinated & is just about poking through the compost, plus one lonely runner bean that is about to poke through too.

Wonder what will be next?

I so wanted to plant some radish yesterday, but realised that I'd bought beetroot instead of radish seeds. :oops::roll:

Ahh well, have sown the beetroot direct in the ground under the cold frame for protection from the chooks pecking them. Will thin out once they have sprouted. The old chooks ( bless their little angels) :cry: once invaded my mini poly tunnel full of leeks, radish, sweetcorn & beetroot. I just couldn't shout & somewhere I have a photo of it. Will have to root it out & post it on here.

I've just planted red onion seeds. Surely they will take forever to grow - when can I expect a decent sized normal onion?

Emma.x

beetroot doesn't need to be thinned out untill there are some of a useable size unless you are after growing monsters

onions should be a decent size about August but I start to pick them at about 2" across