WitchHazel

Ebay, again

A couple o fdays ago I put a number of items on Ebay. They were mostly KitchenAid accessories but, while I was digging those out of the cupboards, I found a few other unused items that I wanted to list: a MAgimix attachment, an electric slicer, and an electric carving knife.

Today I got an email from Ebay telling me that I wasn't allowed to sell the electric carving knife, as it breaches their no-knife policy. Only cutlery knives are allowed to be sold.

The reason? It could be misused.

I can understand that knife knives could be misused, but an electric carving knife is stretching it a bit, don'tya think? Surely that's no more likely to be misused than the electric slicer? Apart from anything else, you have to be in reach of a plug!

What has Ebay cancelled from you that seems daft?

Sounds a bit OTT - I've yet to hear of a knife thug carrying an extention lead :anxious: however anything can be used as a weapon. OH got us some new knives as ours were as blunt as anything - but what do I do with the old ones? if I put them in the dustbin wrapped of course and someone fishes them out for the purpose of crime - do I get the blame - for now they will langusih in the drawer.

It does seem a little OTT. They have software that flags up certain words ie knife and they then cancel those that don't meet their rules. IMHO they should use some discretion but they don't seem to know what that is :?

I did a search for electric carving and a chainsaw came up - surely that in the same category?

My sister wanted me to sell some of her old baby stuff as she didn't have an account. So I listed a whole load of things, including some reusable washable nappies. Ebay very kindly cancelled that listing as you can't sell used nappies, even if they are designed to be washed and reused again :shock:

Try listing the electric carving knife again without using the word 'knife' :wink:

I have a thesaurus to hand when listing, sometimes it helps to use an alternative word :lol:

As for the reusable nappies, funny but ebay let people list other very unsavoury used items that any sane person would not want to use :shock: Obviously ebay have double standards :shameonu:

Interestingly, if a listing is pulled it is usually because it has been reported by another ebayer, and it could have been maliciously reported to reduce competition.

Try listing the electric carving knife again without using the word 'knife' :wink:

Interestingly, if a listing is pulled it is usually because it has been reported by another ebayer, and it could have been maliciously reported to reduce competition.

I don't imagine it was maliciously reported... there would be enough buyers to go round for something like that

....- unless it was reported by someone who had had their listing pulled. :lol: Reason I mention that is that I just did a search (I was wondering what else I could list it as that people might actuallysearch for) and I found another one, but it was only listed yesterday. For a split second, I found myself thinking "hmmph, not fair".

Just in case there's any doubt: I won't be reporting it. It was only a split second "hmph".

EDITED to separate comments from Charlotte into two

Edited by Guest

I think you've misquoted me there by sticking the first and last bits of my post together, which were not intended to be related :? I did not mean that your listing was reported, and another person has mentioned the keywords which trigger their software, which is how I imagine your listing was pulled. Just to clarify :wink:

I had some very dodgy messages when I was selling some shoes, that I bought for an occasion, worn once, never to be worn again....wedding shoes, ill, advised heels, etc....you get the picture...the messages were sent via the ebay message thing...but were quite :shock::shock::shock: saucy. I reported them, but was surprised all the same..

I think you've misquoted me there by sticking the first and last bits of my post together, which were not intended to be related :? I did not mean that your listing was reported, and another person has mentioned the keywords which trigger their software, which is how I imagine your listing was pulled. Just to clarify :wink:

Sorry Charlotte, I realise that. I was just pulling the two bits that I was referring to in my reply, I didn't mean to imply that the two were linked.

Have edited post to separate them to avoid confusion.

Yet you can buy chainsaws on Ebay, what a load of political nonsense correctness.

If someone wants to get hold of a knife there are far more easier ways Plus yours comes with the disadvantage of needing to be plugged in!

The world is truly crackers :lol: But it did make me laugh too :lol:

Sorry Charlotte, I realise that. I was just pulling the two bits that I was referring to in my reply, I didn't mean to imply that the two were linked.

Have edited post to separate them to avoid confusion.

No worries, I've just re-read my post and it's not clear to me and I wrote it :oops::lol:

Ooh, Sari, I think we've come across the same folk. I've had rude messages whilst selling shoes :shock: I've seen the ads for well worn ones as well, took me ages to cotton on :lol: