chelsea

Help! Chicken suddenly gone blind.

Star my cochin was fine yesterday and is a good healthy weight.

She's been quiet this morning, we thought she might be going broody as she's a terrible broody. OH checked her and it appears she has gone/is going blind. :shock:

No discharge, no swelling, no blisters on eyes....nothing.

Pupils LARGE and fully black dilated filling the whole of her eye. Her head is moving from side to side almost like she's trying to read a page of a book from side to side. She doesn't mind being picked up, but of course is not eating or drinking now as she can't see. Have tried to tempt her with food/water right in front of her beak but all she is doing is that side to side head movement.

Very strange, have never seen anything like it. :cry: Any ideas??

:shock: sounds ominous, poor girl. The only thing I can think of is mareks I'm afraid - there is an ocular version where the pupil changes shape. However, I understand this is usually accompanied by the iris going grey (its sometimes known as grey eye) so maybe not. I'm stumped.

Thanks Daphne.....

Yes it's most odd. I've been reading up on Mareks and I'm swaying away from that now as the eye is completely black so her pupil fills the whole of the eye. :( I'm thinking it's definitely something neuroligical or possible stroke? The head movments are strange too. Been out and tried to waft a grape under her nose but she's just stood there.

Think my poor girl will have to be PTS :cry: but would like to have an idea if it's infectious.

I think you may be right about PTS, horrid thought though that is. I have to say I'm not convinced on the mareks thing either, so if it is something neurological then I suppose the 'good' news is that its not catching. The vet should be able to tell you if they suspect mareks, even though I presume they still need a PM with this form to confirm it. Good luck with it.

It sounds like a brain injury/crisis. If she is comfortable and can eat and drink, I would give her 24 hours to check for improvement as in other animals they can improve with nursing and time . Success depends on whether they can eat and drink (and of course the degree of injury/crisis). Keeping her closely confined with food and water readily available will reduce the stress and help her rest.

Does sound like it could be a knock to the head/some kind of stroke.

I have had a number of xbatts who have had varying degrees of injury who have improved over time with quiet, good food and tlc. Tetty, my current headcase has one "blown pupil" with a cloudy covering but the other eye is fine and she can now feed and drink on her own.

Is it both of her eyes?

As it has been quite warm today I would perhaps try dripping some water into her beak. Not too much at once though :wink:

Fingers crossed she improves with a quiet night.

How is Star today? Hopefully a little brighter.

Henrietta went blind too, pretty much overnight. I wonder if hers was neurological, she was about 3 years old so fairly old for an ex batt. Her crop became very distended and never regained its shape after being emptied and having an injection that was meant to and restart the crop muscle. She never recovered sadly and passed away in her sleep. For her I think it was just her body shutting down sadly.

Thankyou for the replies :)

Sadly Star was PTS this afternoon. OH took her to our local vet who we are very friendly with and she could not diagnose what it was. Pupils had no reaction even when shining torch into them. She ruled out Mareks & Pox as no swelling, pus, blisters, or other related symptoms. She either thought possible stroke :think: or tumour behind eyes?? She wasn't eating or drinking and seemed very vacant and disorientated, as if she wasn't a chicken anymore (if that makes sense) :(

Really quite sad as Misty our other cochin (and Star's broody partner in crime) died just over 2 weeks ago of a cancerous tumour, both these girls were 4 years of age and we brought them home together as chicks.

I have the same things going on with one of my chickens I realized that she couldn't see and I took her inside and have her some water and she drank it up like she hadn't drank anything in days, I couldn't get her to eat. she is very tired and had a pungent smell to her. She is making weird head motions back and forth. I am worried any ideas?