FlyingRamses

Grim Subject!! Disposal of dead chickens.

burying hens in the garden is o.k but still if you dont put heavy item(s) on top of the buriel site then foxes can access and dig up the hen. imagine coming out the next day and finding the area dug up, its a very distressing ordeal to go through. I believe going to a vet is the only way to really and truelly dispose of a dead hen. if you phone around you can find a vet thats very value for money. We were charged for a tropical bird at our local bird and it cost us under £10.

Please for the sake of giving the hens a decent send off spend a little money and do it RIGHT!!!!

Old thread but thank you all for your insights. I just lost my FAVORITE roo last night and was wondering the best way to dispose of him. I was worried burying him would bring predators around and I have not had to deal with that issue so far....so not looking to invite any to my property. I feel sad bagging and binning him but that seems to be the best option for me. 

On 8/1/2011 at 10:07 PM, FlyingRamses said:

Very sad to report one of my first hens, Daisy died today, she was 4 years old so had a good innings, she has been slowing down last few days and quietly left us this afternoon.

Could not face bagging her up so buried her and we planted a prickly plant over the top of her to hopefully discourage foxes.

Will really miss this friendly and chilled out bundle of showy white feathers strolling around the garden!!

FR :(

I have a chicken named daisy she has been quite down today I’m worried for her health 🥺

I lost a chicken last night.

In the past I’ve always bagged them up and put them in the normal waste bin (except the recycling bin incident)

but I’ve realised that sticking a chicken in a plastic bag isn’t good for the environment at all. I have a load of strips of paper packaging. I was thinking of rolling her in it and then putting her in the bin. Do you reckon that would be ok? I want her to decompose and go back to the Earth. 

I think you need to bag her up because of maggot flies Bronze. You don't want your bin full of maggots or the smell of decomposition. When we left England the collections had been moved to every two weeks, so I don't know how often yours are? We bury all of ours in the garden and put roof tiles on top, under the soil, so we don't accidentally dig them up in the future.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

In the UK you cannot legally bury chickens or put them in the bin, you have to take them to the vet to be cremated or to be disposed of by 'approved means,' which I believe is generally defined as cremation. It's because they're not defined as pet animals, even if kept as pets, they're defined as livestock. Confusingly, though, you are allowed to bury animals that are defined as pets (cats, dogs, hamsters etc.)

188203141_Screenshot2020-11-25at12_45_31.thumb.png.99a9ffb9cd96b9830775a04dd6998ff9.png

Our local vet will cremate them for about £25, so I'd check with your local vet. x

You can double bag them and put them in the grey bin, Andy Roo.  However, in this time of Avian Influenza I would be inclined to take them to take them to a vet for cremation.  The cost varies widely.  In my area it is £11.  

Thank you for checking.  So many people still think you can bury them 

46 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

You can double bag them and put them in the grey bin, Andy Roo.  However, in this time of Avian Influenza I would be inclined to take them to take them to a vet for cremation.  The cost varies widely.  In my area it is £11.  

Thank you for checking.  So many people still think you can bury them 

Oh, really? What I just read suggested they had to be cremated, but maybe I wasn't reading the full version.