reidyroo

Chicken retirement homes?

We have two elderly chickens that are reaching the end of their laying life, and wanted to plan for their retirement. I have heard that such places exist, but cannot find them - is there a farm or home that can take them in, and let them spend their golden years in a free range and comfortable environment, perhaps with other old chooks like them? :-)

Maybe even somewhere we can come and visit them occassionally.

This isn't a direct re-housing request, but information on such places would be useful infomation. We are in the Reading/Berkshire are if that helps, so ideally not too far to travel.

With feed the price it is I'd be amazed if such a place exists

Needless to say when you find it check it out very thoroughly, the auction houses are rammed with chooks at the end of their laying days that are either sold falsely as POL or sold for 20p to an unknown fate

We have two elderly chickens that are reaching the end of their laying life, and wanted to plan for their retirement. I have heard that such places exist, but cannot find them - is there a farm or home that can take them in, and let them spend their golden years in a free range and comfortable environment, perhaps with other old chooks like them? :-)

Maybe even somewhere we can come and visit them occassionally.

This isn't a direct re-housing request, but information on such places would be useful infomation. We are in the Reading/Berkshire are if that helps, so ideally not too far to travel.

I haven't heard of anything like this unless it's an animal welfare/rescue centre - they usually only take animals on if someone's circumstances mean they really cannot have animals anymore.

Are you considering rehoming them just because they don't lay anymore? Because I don't think rehoming centres tend to take on animals for that reason.

I wish you luck with this quest, but sadly there are very few places that want to take on 'spent' hens, for obvious reasons. Most people let them live out retirement, but if you view your hens as a commercial venture, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, then the other option is to cull them.

Could you possibly add a couple of younger girls who will produce the eggs, while your older ladies gently enter the 'golden age'? I try to add two new ones every year to avoid ending up with a lot of non-layers.

I wouldn't imagine there is such place, these people would get nothing from. They'd just end up making a huge loss. I think if you keep hens for eggs then you could either try to rehome them (try practical poultry) or cull them when they come to the end of their laying life. Other option is to let them retire with you and get some new girls in :D

We have two elderly chickens that are reaching the end of their laying life, and wanted to plan for their retirement.

the ONLY way to plan for their retirement in my mind is to offer them a pampered end to their days in your garden... continuing the care you have given them.

I agree with Chick Wiggle, my girls are very much loved pets too, and I also have a few elderly hens enjoying their retirements with me, where they belong.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if they have stopped their usefulness in feeding you with eggs, maybe adopting the French system of culling and eating older hens is your best bet if you are not prepared to honour the service they have given you by letting them enjoy their dotage in the home they are used to.

We have two elderly chickens that are reaching the end of their laying life, and wanted to plan for their retirement.

the ONLY way to plan for their retirement in my mind is to offer them a pampered end to their days in your garden... continuing the care you have given them.

I agree with Chick Wiggle, my girls are very much loved pets too, and I also have a few elderly hens enjoying their retirements with me, where they belong.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if they have stopped their usefulness in feeding you with eggs, maybe adopting the French system of culling and eating older hens is your best bet if you are not prepared to honour the service they have given you by letting them enjoy their dotage in the home they are used to.

Absolutely.

As has already been mentioned, some charities may take them, I think my local RSPCA branch occasionally has some in. Having said that, many animal charities are inundated with animals at the moment and are really struggling to rehome even very desirable pets, let alone a hen that does not lay...

Realistically you are probably looking at culling or keeping them yourself. There is no reason why you cannot provide them the retirement they deserve, in surroundings that are familiar to them, unless of course it is a cost issue?

Our girls must know we are big softies, we've had times when we've had seven ex batts and maybe 3 eggs a day (always from the same girls) and the ones that don't lay live here perfectly happily and out of our latest girls, I don't think one of them has ever laid whilst she has been here.

I don't think for one second though, that the eggs produced by a garden flock will make them 'cost effective' :lol: they're just as costly even with the saving on eggs - VERY expensive eggs!

:lol: I shudder to think how much the eggs cost us from our girls when I consider the cost of the housing, bedding, vets visits, feed, cleaning products, treats, more treats etc. My bank must look at my account and think 'just buy eggs, it will be so much cheaper' when I stock up on things for the girls :oops: I just couldn't think of any other reason though why someone would consider a retirement home for their chicken rather than their own home :?

People keep chickens for different reasons. I keep mine as pets so they will be with me for life, however my friend keeps chickens on his small holding purely for eggs and buys in new chickens when he is low on eggs and tries to rehome his older chickens. He actually managed to make a profit, compared to me!! :lol:

Well, we got some young chooks a couple of months ago that are now in the eglu cube, and the oldies are enjoying their retirement in a little hutch underneath the trampoline (unused!) the side netting pulled down forms a great fence :idea: . They have plenty of space there and can roam around. But just didn't see that as long term :|

I don't want to put the oldies in with the youngies as the oldies' eggs are now usually broken, if they lay at all, and we have tried all the treatments and calcium additives to water etc. Happy to let them stay it out, but just wanted to explore the option of them going somewhere to retire. They are great chickens, very friendly and full of character and well loved by the family of course.

So it doesn't look like it's possible, so maybe a donation of an additional hen house (even if temporary) would be ideal, although there is the economy to be considered since they're past producing eggs really :(

Thanks for all your suggestions

I chose breeds as opposed to hybrids so that they don't completely stop laying, but they will be few and far between. Not a problem - they are pets. Pets with a bonus and they will stay with me until they move to the happy hunting ground in the sky. I agree that if a retirement home does not exist and you are not willing to let your birds continue living with you, then pop them in the pot. Perhaps if you had thought of the possible outcome before you made you purchases then perhaps having chickens may not have been the ideal pet for you. They are not pets if you want to get rid of them because they have finished their usefulness.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but your posting sounded totally out of order to me, so I do hope you manage find a loving home for them.

Oh Valkyrie I agree too - my girls have always been pets and as such I have spent a small fortune on vets fees and cried buckets when they died.

I do appreciate not everyone feels this way but I think of all the chicken forums out there this one is probably more geared towards chooks as loving pets rather than an egg producing machine.

Well I wish you luck with whatever you decide, and hope that you start thinking now about your plans for the new hens you have taken in, as in a few years you are going to find yourself in the same boat.

Maybe if you are unable to provide suitable long term accommodation (a rabbit hutch under a trampoline is not ideal in my humble opinion) then you should consider re-homing to a pet home. Although, 4 hens in a cube would be fine, regardless of age and laying ability.

People keep chickens for different reasons. I keep mine as pets so they will be with me for life

I reckon most folks on the forum will feel the same. They are kept as pets and like a dog or cat you would assume that they would be with you until the end of their days and be prepared to pay for vets bills etc. Like others have said the eggs laid are hugely expensive and hen keeping is not an economical move.

I would suggest look into getting pure breed hens which although don't lay so many eggs, lay and live for longer. I think you will find quite a lot of people on this forum treat their chickens more as pets than purely egg producers.

I unfortunatly had to rehome my hens due to my ill health. It was a very hard decision for me to make but i know i did the best for me and my hens. I am actually shocked that someone would think of getting rid just because their hens are at the end of their laying days.

Can we keep the debate open on here, and not be too judgemental of others, please - keeping hens for egg production, not for pleasure, is a perfectly valid decision as long as the hens are kept in good conditions and dealt with appropriately. This forum is open to all views. :D

Hi there,

I have to be honest - I haven't heard of anywhere like that - unless you have an animal sanctuary near to you that would re-home them?

I have my girls as family pets too :) and my 2 older ones aren't laying very well either...But they are 3.5 yrs old and I love them. I am content knowing they give us so much fun and life in our garden. I want them to enjoy their retirement for as long as they can!

I know that some people just have hens for eggs, and that's ok as long as they are looked after... but I couldn't imagine my garden without my girls, it would be a very boring place!

Can I just ask - why is it difficult for you to keep them? It can't be much harder looking after 2 more can it?

I hope you find a solution x

My chickens are kept more as pets and live out their retirement with me but i have no problem with people who want to rehome them after their laying days are over i have a friend who calls a chicken a freeloader if it dosent lay eggs and culls them i wish you luck in finding them a new home if that is what you decide leanne :)

My chickens are kept more as pets and live out their retirement with me but i have no problem with people who want to rehome them after their laying days are over i have a friend who calls a chicken a freeloader if it dosent lay eggs and culls them i wish you luck in finding them a new home if that is what you decide leanne :)

:lol: One of mine is a freeloader, she's POL and she only does 1 or 2 a week, but I'd never dream of getting rid of her or culling :(