reidyroo

Chicken retirement homes?

People keep hens for different reason and not everyone sees them like a substitute cat or dog. If you do, then that's great, but please respect that not everyone else does, or has to, or is wrong if they do not.

Girls who have been well cared for and had a happy free range home have already had a much better life than their commercial counterparts.

Reidyroo

Sorry that you seem to be getting a bit of a bashing when you asked a reasonable question.

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that one of the reasons you don't want to keep them all together is because the oldies eggs tend to get broken. What do you use in the nestbox? I don't think there is anything that will prevent the breakages - the reason for me asking is that I have this problem with one of my Girls (who isn't an oldie at all, she's just my Special Needs Chicken). I have Aubiose in the nest box, so it's easy to scoop out and dispose of the broken eggs when it happens. Wondered if that might make it more manageable for you?

If not - and I know this will sound awful - culling them may be the kindest option. At least you will be able to make sure their end is swiftt and painless, and you will be sure of what happened to them. As was mentioned elsewhere, "rehomed" hens are sometimes sold on as layers or to other uncertain fates.

Out of my 8, only my Whitestar is still laying, bless her :clap: 3 too young, 4 too old but they're happy, healthy and wormed regularly so I delude myself that it's just a blip whilst they moult :lol: yup, they're belting around the garden as I type so as long as they're happy, I am too :D

Same my white star is the supper layer, we have 6 chickens, 2 of wich are about 6 months older than the rest, but we usually only get 2 egg a day, and its always one of the whitestars egg.

I don't think i would ever consider taking my older chickens to a retirement home, they are friendly when you have corn in your hands and in the summer they do come and see you.

People keep hens for different reason and not everyone sees them like a substitute cat or dog. If you do, then that's great, but please respect that not everyone else does, or has to, or is wrong if they do not.

Girls who have been well cared for and had a happy free range home have already had a much better life than their commercial counterparts.

Amen. Sorry but I think the judgement on this poster needs to be toned down. It's not really helpful to her or her hens to say what you would never do. People from all walks of life and with all kinds of different circumstances and needs keep chickens. This poster has given her chickens a wonderful life and is now looking for options on how to give them a great retirement. I wish her and her chickens the best of luck. Wish I could help but I am in the US!!

I agree ..Most of us as owners of chicks would not want to give them up to "retirement homes" when they have stopped laying or for other reasons, but owners reasons are all different and for most it is the last thing they want to do.

I :clap: the fact that the chicks concerned are loved and their carer wants to give them the best possible end to life .

I think this carer should be encouraged to do what is right for her.

As has already been said, we all keep hens for different reasons and it's not fair to be judgemental about this. We took on 4 ex batts and lost one of them earlier this year and out of the remaining 3 only 1 is laying, but we keep them as that is, I believe, the contract you make with the BHWT when you take on ex batts, plus of course we love them to bits. We also have 8 girls that we bought at POL and I would imagine we will keep them all as pets, but who knows. We know a number of people who cull their hens when they stop laying but while they are alive they have a wonderful life so I don't think that's wrong. They all have a far better life than a battery hen for sure :?

I think that as more and more people start keeping chickens, and keep adding to their flocks, the numbers in certain situations will become unmanageable. Last year, I had 28 hens and only 9 of them were laying. :lol:

My personal policy is to cull any hens over 3 years old when they become ill, and any younger than that if they develop peritonitis, as the outcome is inevitable. Anything else that I can't fathom out or deal with myself gets referred to my lovely vet.

I think the OP's question is a reasonable one, well done for being brave enough to ask it. I imagine the time will come when someone will set up just the sort of retirement home described.

I think it is very sad that someone would consider disposing of their pet hens for no other reason than that they are old and laying soft shelled eggs.

I am not having a go at the OP, just making a general point, and I do appreciate that people have hens for all sorts of reasons and have different views on how they should be cared for, but I just can't get my head round the idea.

My view is that when you take on an animal, you are taking on the responsibility of looking after them for the rest of their lives unless there are very good reasons otherwise - culling an old and sick bird is one thing, but this is something completely different.

Egluntyne may well be right, and the current popularity of keeping hens will mean that numbers will become unmanageable, but that doesn't mean that we can discard the ones that no longer suit our requirements and hope that someone else will look after them until they die.

I think that as more and more people start keeping chickens, and keep adding to their flocks, the numbers in certain situations will become unmanageable. Last year, I had 28 hens and only 9 of them were laying. :lol:

My personal policy is to cull any hens over 3 years old when they become ill, and any younger than that if they develop peritonitis, as the outcome is inevitable. Anything else that I can't fathom out or deal with myself gets referred to my lovely vet.

I think the OP's question is a reasonable one, well done for being brave enough to ask it. I imagine the time will come when someone will set up just the sort of retirement home described.

I couldn't agree more.

Mine are all pure breeds, I have two 6 year old non-layers, when they get ill, they will be culled - quickly and with no fuss, but sadness on my part. My retirees are welcome to pass their time (particularly as they are good broodies) in the garden with the others but I won't see them suffer or ail.

Perhaps culling them is the best option in your situation.

Anything that brings attention to the fact that chooks may only lay for a year (or less :roll: or sporadically or just in the summer etc etc) and may actually spend longer NOT laying than laying is a good thing, I'd say.

I think the key is that all owners need to go into this with their eyes open and plan for just this sort of event.

Just as experierenced owners would only go into hatching with a clear plan for the inevitable boy chicks (cull, grow for the pot, keep, or the tricky one... rehome), then everyone should go into it with a plan for their chooks' end of lay - and the options are just about the same.

I've heard it said that, for every chook we raise in the garden, the chances are that she had a brother who was culled at a few days old :(

Hopefully, this discussion will help the OP decide on a plan for EOL of the newbies as well (which could be this time next year, if mine are anything to go by!).

I don't really understand why so many have told the OP to cull her chickens rather than find them a new home where they can spend their last days in the garden pecking around and such. How is this a better option? I realize that you have to be extra careful when you are rehoming your chickens but it really looks like that is what the OP is doing by researching options.

And i'm not saying that those who do cull their older hens are wrong, but to suggest that the OP has been irresponsible by taking on the hens in the first place and she should probably just cull them... am I the only one who senses the irony here?

As for me, I have ten baby chicks and I know some of them will end up being little boys. I'll be finding them homes where they hopefully won't be eaten. It won't be easy but oh well. As someone who has eaten my fair share of chicken in her life I just don't feel like I can go around pointing fingers! :anxious:

It has been suggested because you're very unlikely (as was pointed out) to find anywhere that will take spent hens and be prepared the pay the escalating feed costs for non-laying birds.

If you're not prepared to keep them yourself then by all means cast around for an alternative home, but I'd think it unlikely that anything (which you can trust.....) will be forthcoming, which is why so many of us leave them to retire in our gardens and then cull them when/if they get sick. As others have said, it is best to have a pragmatic approach and prepare yourself for the eventuality that they will probably get sick/stop laying before they die. Just as we counsel folk to be prepared for male birds when they are hatching and have plans for re-homing/culling/eating them.

It has been suggested because you're very unlikely (as was pointed out) to find anywhere that will take spent hens and be prepared the pay the escalating feed costs for non-laying birds.

If you're not prepared to keep them yourself then by all means cast around for an alternative home, but I'd think it unlikely that anything (which you can trust.....) will be forthcoming, which is why so many of us leave them to retire in our gardens and then cull them when/if they get sick. As others have said, it is best to have a pragmatic approach and prepare yourself for the eventuality that they will probably get sick/stop laying before they die. Just as we counsel folk to be prepared for male birds when they are hatching and have plans for re-homing/culling/eating them.

Everything you said makes perfect sense. I was referring to those that have suggested the OP has been irresponsible, which I thought was harsh. I guess I am just surprised. Also, where I live there are lots of folks who will take on older hens. I have great friends who have a couple pet hens, and many, many egg layers. They freerange all of them and they are treated great. But once a year they rehome the layers as they are in the business of eggs. They never have any trouble finding what my friend calls "hippie chicks" to take the hens and love them. But that is just the area where I live. You certainly would not find that everywhere in the states.

You're very lucky then, folk like that would be few and far between over here and most of them would have plenty of ex-batts anyhow.

I think that some folk (me included to a point) were just commenting that they prefer to keep their retired hens, the OP is probably in a minority here with her intentions and this would naturally generate comments to the contrary. I don't think they were necessarily casting nasturtiums, just boldly stating their personal preferences.

Let's face it, unless 'one' can find any rescuers prepared to take on spent hens, then (sadly) they are generally better off being culled, the alternative doesn't bear thinking about..... most spent battery hens in this country (those which aren't rescued) end up being slaughtered for use in pet foods. Sad, but true. :(

This is one of those subjects which always generate some passionate responses.

The first I heard of exbatt rescue was on this forum. I'm not even sure if they have that here in the states. :-(

Have a lookherequite a few of us have volunteered for them at rescues

That is so neat. And by the way, I LOVE jamie oliver (so cute, plus he can cook)! In general you folks are way ahead of us when it comes to animal welfare, although things are definitely moving in that direction here in the US as well. Right now there is a big controversy because an undercover animal welfare activist filmed how horrible pigs are treated in one of the major pork production places in the country. The individual went under cover as a worker there. The company's response is to try and pass legislation to make filming secretively in a livestock factory illegal! They just might get their wish, too. It's a mess.

Anyway, I apologize to the OP for hijacking her thread. It's really amazing to see so many people who care so much and are so passionate about chickens. I really love chickens!

I'm not a vegan so I can't go all snotty about someone who wants chickens for eggs any more than I could about someone who only wants cows for milk. In my ideal world all animals would be able to live out their days but that simply does not square with general eating habits or farming finances. However I do think that those who are taking on hens for eggs have to face the facts that they will eventually need to culll non egg layers (cockerels included) and think how best this can be done. There are courses around that show you how to do it yourself (OK I shudder but many people don't); or you could ask around at your local allotment in case there is a chicken keeper who knows how to do it well, or your vet might oblige (at a cost).

The rescue centres simply can't take on everyone's old chooks and it would be unfair of us to expect them to do so. On the other hand I do know that some general animal rescues like to have the odd chook around to add colour to their places. You could try the Donkey Sanctuary at Brightwell cum Sotwell as I know they sometimes do, or the Oxfordshire Animal Rescue at Stadhampton. However I think that space at both would be very limited.