NewfieMum

EX-Bats, Need Urgent Homes before Slaughter

At the moment we don't have room - none at all.

Out of interest, have BHWT waived their requirement that people take at least three hens? That has been the major stumbling block for me in the past, when I've had room for two, but not three. In the end, I take none, and get two chickens elsewhere.

I can see why BHWT want people to take three, particularly people having chooks for the first time, and who therefore don't have a flock for the new girls to join. But waiving the requirement for existing chicken owners would be really helpful, and possibly result in more people like me taking two hens, and many more hens homed as a result. It might help people who have limited capacity to help out in this crisis too.

Squiddies..... Ideally I would still prefer as existing chicken owner to take three exbatts as should you take two and the worst happen and one were to die early on the remaining hen would be on her own. It is not advisable to mix exbatts straight into your exisitng flock due to them being slightly weaker and not being flock experienced.

However there are occasion where two are rehomed, this tends to be done on a case by case basis I believe so best off to contant your local co-ordinator or head office and discussing the situation with them.

Clicky of all BHWT rehoming points and contacts

Here are two of the lucky ladies that went home with Redwing this weekend:

4cba1628.jpg

Oh yes, I can see the argument, and I would definitely keep any new hens separate, although always in sight of other hens.

I can't take any more at the moment, but I will definitely get ex-batts when my original girls pass away - they are getting on a bit now. It is just that making room for three is difficult.

At the moment we don't have room - none at all.

Out of interest, have BHWT waived their requirement that people take at least three hens? That has been the major stumbling block for me in the past, when I've had room for two, but not three. In the end, I take none, and get two chickens elsewhere.

I can see why BHWT want people to take three, particularly people having chooks for the first time, and who therefore don't have a flock for the new girls to join. But waiving the requirement for existing chicken owners would be really helpful, and possibly result in more people like me taking two hens, and many more hens homed as a result. It might help people who have limited capacity to help out in this crisis too.

We've taken 2 before, we just explained that after getting their strength back they were to be integrated with our other girls and our BHWT co ordinator was fine.

Very excited...OH & DD have both said "Why not?" so I'm actually allowed to register now :) Have PMd Pikey about the rehoming in Bristol next week...I'd so love to have the girls here and settling in before Christmas makes life completely mad here. Fingers crossed. I've read all the info on the BHWT site & hope I'd be a good enough mum for them :)

That's great news goodinparts :dance: Don't worry, you'll be a brilliant ex batt mummy. Yes, they come looking a bit sorry for themselves, but (most!) ex batts really are more robust than you would think. As long as you can provide somewhere dry and sheltered for them to get out of the elements when the weather is bad they will do just fine. Remember you need layers mash to start, as they won't have a clue what pellets are. I think ex batt crumb is great (lots of added goodies), but I haven't bought any for my most recent girls as I had a newly opened bag of layers mash, so I've been adding Lifeguard tonic to their water instead, which is also fab. Place several food and water stations in your run as you may well find one or more of the hens will will be chased away from a single feeder until the pecking order is well established. One of my original girls was completely horrid and chased all the others away from the food, so I had to do a quick dash to the pet shop for coop cups! (Incidentally, she is now the sweetest, most docile hen and loves nothing more than hopping up onto my knee for a snooze!) Lots of bedding in the coop to keep them warm at night is a good idea (I use straw but I know a lot of Omleteers gasp at the very thought :lol: )and then just be prepared to show them how to do a few chickeny things. Digging and scratching they will work out very quickly! But you will need to put them to bed for the first few nights until they learn what to do - they will just stand around in the dark looking bemused. Also, expect eggs anywhere and everywhere until they get the hang of a nest box. A couple of pot eggs in the nest box can do the trick, but they do need to find out what an egg is first, as they will never even have seen their eggs in the battery :(

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I have waffled on far too long (I could talk about ex batts all day :lol: ). Just post your questions as they arise, and most importantly, enjoy your ex batts!

Sorely tempted to put my name down, but practical head on for a moment, we have 4 ex batts currently in a cube with 3m run (total). They have fr time, but less this time of year. I had planned to get 2 or 3 in the spring ( depending on if they all make it through the winter). I do have an old house for intros, but due to space restrictions they would all need to be in the cube eventually. Could i have 7 total in the cube with 3m run?I know the official guidelines for space, but when we had 5 they were fine and I always thought 6 would be ok.

Secondly, does it affect how the girls relate to you if you adopt this time of year? Our current girls are very friendly, but had both lots in the spring when we're spending much more time outside.

You haven't waffled on too much at all, Lavenders_Blue - it's really helpful to have some practical idea of what I can expect...I'd not thought about the need to show them where to lay - or indeed about them not understanding the need to share feeders & drinkers (I know...I'm a bit slow :( ) but now I can get ready properly...

I've booked 3 - who are being delivered by a kind hen rescuer on about 14th December :D

The thought that they won't even have SEEN an egg made me want to cry :(

If I'd needed reassuring that these poor loves really need rescue, that would have done the trick.

Expect lots of questions when they arrive - I'm so happy to be able to do this now. Think they are my Christmas present to me :wink:

Best of luck goodinparts!

We ummed and ahhed for two years before getting ex-batts and worried constantly for the first few weeks after we got them - but needn't have. Luckily ours weren't very bald when we got them so we we didn't have to deal with the shock of seeing them, but they were really greasy and smelled just awful - I think it's ammonia? When we got them home and took them out of the cat carrier one of them was so terrified she just stayed curled up in a ball in the house -we thought we'd broken her! She soon had her face buried in a bowl of mash though.

Apart from being a a bit wobbly for the first few days, and scared of their own shadows -it's amazing how quickly they learn to do normal chicken stuff like digging and sunbathing - and eating every last green thing in the garden! They're so bold and friendly and they boss our existing girls about relentlessly. One even enjoys a paddle in her morning porridge every day.

Enjoy every minute with them, they'll make you laugh and they'll make you cry but they'll be so rewarding.

We got three for the reasons mentioned earlier. Sadly lost one so that leaves two in the eglu, they both seem very happy and are looking good now. I have not plucked (sorry :oops: ) the courage to merge them with the other girls, Latte is a bully and I don't want her to attack my lovely ex batts.

They don't lay eggs but I love them :D If you have space please give some ex batts another chance!

Chrissie

We finally decided that we must be able to squeeze in some more... when I made enquiries I was told that the Kent BHWT rescue is full and so is the Surrey (I think, it might have been Sussex) one :dance:

Great news for all those ladies to have homes, and I wasn't really sure we could fit more in at this time.

P

I am on the list and going to collect from the next Lancs date which is Dec 10th. My run is bigger than the normal eglu run so I thinking four rather than three so that they can huddle close to stay warm when necessary. Very excited now as only got one of my exbatts left from 2 years ago- she is the only big girl laying at present the others are clearly too posh to lay or Divas (thanks Redwing!) My two bantams are still laying well though 4 or 5 a week each - a sablepoot and a poland. :D. Still waiting for the cream legbars to lay :roll:

We finally decided that we must be able to squeeze in some more... when I made enquiries I was told that the Kent BHWT rescue is full and so is the Surrey (I think, it might have been Sussex) one :dance:

Great news for all those ladies to have homes, and I wasn't really sure we could fit more in at this time.

P

Hi, are you too far for the Essex rescue ?? When I spoke to them yesterday they had loads of girlies looking for homes.

Nicola

All four of our ex-battery hens were very docile, very gentle and very friendly, collected July 10, definitely here as pets and have been a constant source of pleasure since day one. Only two are laying now, so we get about six eggs a week which is a nice thing for us, tho' I didn't expect many from them at all. They are our first hens so I was expecting high maintenance, but they really aren't unless of course you spend hours gazing at them, chatting to them, getting them to talk to you as you garden ... I'm not sure I could go for anything else now.

However, I've had the BHWT email asking me to take some more. I have a WIR + Classic but don't want to upset my elderlies, who seem so content together. The plan was to get three more when one of ours dies, with slow integration managed by old Omlet run ... and some ingenious thinking on getting a temporary coop (don's ask cos I haven't managed to fix that one yet). But I feel guilty that there are so many who need homes by the end of Decemberthat I could be helping now ... what would you do?

Mrs Potts

Mrs Potts I feel the same as you .I have had my 3 girls since June and they get on so well together . My first chucks and I did not realise how much I would care....Oh yes.. I spend ages , talking , watching and laughing at them. :lol:

I have read all about the ex batts on here and would love to have some but I only have a small garden and although I am still getting 3 eggs most days they are enough for just the 2 of us...But I am waivering slightly. :roll: The sight of these battery farms and the way they are treated is enough to bring tears to your eyes.

Why do people care so much about domestic pets or zoo animals being ill treated and nothing about Battery hens :?: If it was an owner of one of these they would possibly have been prosecuted by now. Is it because they produce something people want like eggs at about 2p each :?:

I think that it's because anyone who likes 2p eggs hasn't spent time getting to know a hen and appreciating her individuality!

Sadly, I know that 2p people will alway outnumber those of us who realise that animals have feelings and need to be respected. Happily, we won't stop doing what we are doing simply because we are in a minority!

Mrs P.

Any near High Wycombe Bucks? We have just lost poor Florry this week and are getting 2 more at beginning new year.Florry would like that I am sure.

I think BHWT Northants (Brackley) would be closest but check the listings on the website as my geography is not the best lol