Gertie

Hypochondriac other half?!

Does anyone else have one? My partner only has to look at a bit of gardening or wood chopping and has developed plantar fasciitis and tennis elbow! :shock: He's always looking at online info about medical conditions he thinks he has. He had a cold a few months ago and was off work for a week and not fully recovered for 2 weeks after. I had the same cold and had one day off. My patience is limited and my sympathy less so!

I'm not quite sure what to do or say or whether to believe him!! He's very dramatic! :roll:

I have one of them too :roll:

Drives me mad - its a good job I am a pretty self sufficient type.

He even made us pay for a BUPA medical, that said he was fine but needed to lose weight and do more exercise.

Did he? Of course not, looking for the miracle cure for something he can do himself.

And do you get the, "well I might not be around by then" comments too...... :lol:

I am not very sympathetic, have a few aches and pains myself that you just have to get on with, a little arthritis in the spine didn't stop me laying a patio, stone circle and set path last year :wall:

Yes, totally know what you mean! My partner also chooses to ignore advice about losing 5+ stone! No wonder his feet hurt.

Couldn't help but laugh when he announced moments ago "I've found a physiotherapist in Richmond for my Tennis Elbow". Last week he spent £344 on shoes for plantar fasciitis!!

Not had the 'I might not be around then comments' yet!

Glad I'm self sufficient too...not much choice!!!! :roll: well done for just getting on with it!

I really must try harder to be sympathetic. It's not my strongpoint!

ANH - ill observe and see if he can. He's told me all about the symptoms, and it doesn't sound nice. Just to add no offence meant to anyone with genuine conditions! My partner just seems to develop something new on a weekly basis especially is any labour is required!

Last week he spent £344 on shoes for plantar fasciitis!!

Whaaat :shock: ? I bought 2 pairs of Sorbothane insoles for £18 each which have really helped. It's totally gone now :dance: . (I did see a physio which cost about £90 for a couple of consultations and a pair of orthotics but it was totally worth it - it really was agony :( .)

Has he seen a physio or diagnosed himself?

I had tennis elbow a couple of years ago (i was using a trowel in the garden and it just went twang) and am lucky enough to have an Occupational Health dept at work.

I had ultrasound which helped enormously and was recommended a tennis elbow support to be worm whenever I did certain tasks. I bought the recommended one but found that an Elastoplast neoprene one that I got in Boots was better. It cost about £15 and I still wear still wear it occasionally.

And yes - most men suffer more than we do when ill :wink: - although I am currently suffering from man flu :lol:

Mine is a bit like this too, dodgy insides, toothache, backache, he has all of these things to a degree, but he expects more sympathy than he ever gives. If he is ill he expects to be able to spend hours soaking in the bath, going to bed early and lying in, but if I am feeling under the weather I am am largely expected to trail around after him doing what he wants.

I have an underactive thyroid which despite being on medication sometimes leaves me feeling washed out, I have been so much better since I was diagnosed, but because it is a chronic condition, with no obvious bits falling off he undervalues how it can make me feel and laughs at me when I am yawning by 10pm :roll:

I am limited in my sympathy for some of his ills, because again he is overweight, although quite active, and he is a smoker.

In sickness and in health and all that :roll::lol:

I have one, when he's home.

He tells me leave the big stuff till i come home ....so i do and then it doesn't get done as he moans about this and that, usually his thumb , elbow or back rubbing it wincing and moaning. :x:x

So i unhitched the trailer, dosed myself up on meds and do it myself only to get a telling off from him as it takes me three days in bed to recover , which is spoiling his leave......so i quietly tell him i waited and waited for the magic faries to come but they let me down and things had to be done, as his half finished jobs were preventing me from doing the weekly needful, so I did it..he doesn't like it ,tough !! does he think i like the pain i end up in by having to do it ?

I actually paid a garden service to tidy up the front of the house in March when he was home ...he was furious with me , but who cares it is still tidy and looks nice.( i had waited a year for him to do it )

I have one. Apparently I'm hard because I don't dole out the sympathy 24/7 , he's been dying of so many things over the years it's unbelievable- when I point out that he's still alive after predicting his demise 4 years ago I get the 'hard' quip, we are frequently told he' won't be around for much longer' - to which I reply ' you're right there, I'm going to finish you off myself if you keep on' :lol: He doesn't look on the internet though, too scared of finding out what he's got ( hypochondria ! :lol: ) and I have to nag him to see a doctor when he does need to go , he prefers to ask my advice and then ignore it, but if a friend gives him the same remedy for some minor complaint then he carries on as though they are the worlds greatest healer .

Caught him rummaging in the first aid tin yesterday because he had 'cut his hand open' - translation, the cat had scratched him :o:lol: When I asked why he wanted a plaster he said ' to stop the bleeding', there followed the umpteenth explanation from me that plasters do not stop bleeding, they keep the wound clean and to go hold it under the tap then press on it- he was absolutely amazed that the bleeding stopped without needing to bind it in a metre of bandage - it's only taken me 22 yrs to get the message across :lol:

Sorry mine is the total opposite he has been the same job for forty years and I can count on one hand the number of days he has had off sick. So when he's Ill he is Ill but my does he milk it :lol: btw He has zero sympathy for anyone who is sick or ill around him. I have to fend for myself when poorly even after a hysterectomy :roll::roll::roll:

My OH is the other side of the spectrum.... Soldiers on until he's half dead :roll: He has quite bad arthritis in his wrists, but just puts on a support and gets on with digging at the allotment :lol: The only thing is, when he does have something that is a genuine cause for concern, you cannot get him to go to the Drs :roll:

My dad is the same - stoic in the face of illness. Never takes time off, hardy.

No mention of any new conditions today, phew :lol:

Sounds like there's quite a few folk with hypochondriac other halves! Then there's my mum...best not get me started on that. Maybe that's why I've got no sympathy left!!!

Keep on soldiering!

OH saw GP and has to do poo sample for helicobacter. Armed with pot and lolly stick :vom: he reappeared to ask if it mattered that we have one of those naff blue affairs which makes loo smell nice. I fell about laughing and said I didnt remember a sample report being returned to work saying "sample contaminated with Toilet Duck" :shock: he got huffy and said " your not taking this seriously" to which I replied "dont be sooo anal". Honestly - told him to just get on with it. :notalk: