Old Speckled Hen

Has anybody moved to Wales?

Not sure I can help very much as of course we're still very much settling in - only moved here 12 weeks ago today:wink:

Firstly though we don't regret it :D I have had moments of feeling very daunted and a bit down but that has more to do with the state of the house we've moved into (as moaned about in my posts :oops: ) as opposed to wishing we hadn't come here.

I do miss my old house, it was a bog standard 4 bed house on a modern estate with a postage stamp of a garden nothing special, but I did love it, I was comfortable there :( BUT I had always wanted to live in a rural area and have animals and more recently OH has swung towards wanting to lead a much more self sufficient life.

For us I think we really started to reassess our life when OH lost his job back in 2007 which was followed by several bereavements, burglary etc etc and realising that we are not getting any younger :roll:

Why Wales - well for us, money was the biggest factor. We lived in Berkshire, had both grown up there and had we won the lottery would have stayed there :lol: Quite simply there was no way we could even afford a field there :shock:

We spent two years searching for property before we even put our house on the market and Wales just kept coming up, plus, although not very nearby, we do have some of OHs family in Cardiff and Pembroke. We now have a large Victorian house with 8.7 acres of land :dance:

Hardest part for me is being a long way from DD who is at Sussex Uni - it's not possible to visit her anymore and its a lot further to go to pick her up for holidays :roll: and ES didn't come with us which didn't really hit me until we were here, I miss them both :( We also have the added compromise of OH continuing to work back in Buckinghamshire on Tue/Wed/Thurs each week, which makes me a bit :mrgreen: if I'm honest, as ES works with him and they share a flat. It also means of course that OH and I can only do all the necessary work on this house and land at weekends.

We live on a main A road which seems to mean that people don't walk anywhere so I haven't had the opportunity to meet people by walking anywhere. One neighbour from just up the road did come round to introduce himself when we moved in and has been very helpful with tradesmen "contacts" and OH went over and introduced himself to the neighbours opposite and the next door farmer - apparently all very nice but not been seen since. I met another neighbour when he came in search of a missing delivery, again very nice but not seen again. I think what I'm saying is that everyone has been friendly but we just don't see them :wink: Our two youngest sons (13 and 14) are getting settled at school and they say that they've made some new friends and everyone is friendly. I'm hoping to get together with Craftyhunnypie and Space Chick soon as it will be nice to meet them and have a good natter :wink:

Please feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything more in depth.

Lisa P

We've sold the house.Taken 14 months.

We knew it would be a long road so made our minds up to not look at properties till we had sold.

Complete 29th and moving in with ma-in-law which is going to be difficult for me.

We have been looking in The Welsh Marches,Powys and Carmarthenshire; we have four houses to look at.

I can live anywhere ......rural that is.....and get on with anybody. I'll even have a go at learning Welsh.

This is our dream come true; a little land for the bees and chooks and welsh scenery not far removed from hubby's Lake District.

We are getting a little ...ha ha somewhat of an understatement...resistance from hubby's children (all grown up but we do babysit a fair bit). Some of it verging on blackmail.

Thank heavens hubby is fairly blind to it and is as keen as me for a more rural idyll

I love this house. It was our first home together when we married in 2004 and I am already missing it but really excited about moving on.

I was just looking for a little feedback from others who had done so.

This is one of the reasons I have been a little quiet here on the forum.....selling has all been a bit much. Aren't some house viewers just the pits????? Sorry rambling away.

Anyway,

It's done and we are homeless in two weeks.

I wouldn't bother trying to learn Welsh, most of us natives don't even speak it :lol:

Whenever we go, I always wonder if it is just put on for the tourists :twisted:

In North Wales there are more Welsh speakers, and there has been a revival of Welsh language schools across the country, but the vast majority of people in South Wales don't speak it.... So depends where you've holidayed Cathy :wink:

However with 99.9% of people in Wales speaking English, the need to learn to communicate us certainly not there :lol:

I agree on the speaking Welsh bit, I've always lived in Cardiff and only know a few bits. I do think it's more common in other parts of Wales, you hear more in North, West and mid Wales. In Cardiff I find it's more of a trendy thing to do and it's more common in certain areas than others.

I love living here and can't imagine living anywhere else. I love the fact that within 20 minutes we can either be in Cardiff city centre or in the countryside or by the sea :D

Good luck with the move, hope you find somewhere lovely.

by Snowy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Whenever we go, I always wonder if it is just put on for the tourists

I find the above quote rather offensive, having been brought up in a Welsh home, by a Welsh mother and an English father, who made the effort to learn the language, and then brought up his children bilingually. Welsh is our first language, so upon entering a shop in Wales, surely you would expect to hear Welsh, in the same way as when you are on holiday in France and walked into a shop, you would expect to hear French being spoken? I find it insulting that you would suggest that it is just put on for the tourists.

I have for 3 years, maybe a couple more if I stay on!

Its completely different to being home in Brum, everything is much smaller and everywhere else seems further away. Our nearest Te$co or Asda is an hour away :lol: I love being here but can't imagine living this far away from 'home' forever.

I think as you're used to rural Cumbria it won't be a massive change, you just have to get used to ignoring half the road signs! ;)

I have to disagree on the Welsh bit, I think its nice, probably 'cos I'm in Mid-Wales and kind of rural but half my house speak Welsh and when I'm at work experience at the Vets or Farms the farmers always speak welsh and all the English vets are now fluent.

The first night I turned up to Lambing the book was all in Welsh and I didn't have a clue! :anxious: I can say loads of animals in Welsh, can't spell them though! :lol:

We did in in August last year! Having a Welsh Surname & Hubby's family coming from Wales originally - we fit in well! :lol:

We are Mid / West Wales, about 20 minutes inland from Aberystwyth & equal distance to Lampeter too. We have a bungalow ( very wise choice if it's to be your forever home) & 12 acres of land. :D Our own mountain, our own stream & a our own bridge. The people of the village are very friendly & welcoming. They are everywhere in Ceredigion to be honest!

No regrets at all here! I don't miss my old house, in fact I don't miss anything! I've made sure I'm involved in community stuff. I have a lot to do with the people who work at the village shop - we are well known now. We are known at one of the pubs. :oops: I'm part of the local craft group, the W.I & the Zumba class! I will also be going the flower arranging group too. When you live rural like me - you have to make an effort to meet people & get involved. It's fab!

I can get everything I want online, if not from Aberystwyth. It's nice to have lakes, mountains, the sea & choice of beaches so near by. 8)

I love to hear Welsh spoken & am learning to pronounce stuff now & picking up a few bits. Best way of learning is off the locals - not from a book or course. That way you get the slang words & the local dialect!

It's not actually needed to learn Welsh, but is nice to know a teeny bit.

The Health Service is better here for sure! Plus free prescriptions! :dance:

Everything is just sooo much better. So much so that I reckon it instantly knocks 10 years off your age & also extends your life expectancy. It's just a better quality of life!

Move near me, so we can go for coffee & cake etc! Woohoo!

Emma.x

by Snowy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Whenever we go, I always wonder if it is just put on for the tourists

I find the above quote rather offensive, having been brought up in a Welsh home, by a Welsh mother and an English father, who made the effort to learn the language, and then brought up his children bilingually. Welsh is our first language, so upon entering a shop in Wales, surely you would expect to hear Welsh, in the same way as when you are on holiday in France and walked into a shop, you would expect to hear French being spoken? I find it insulting that you would suggest that it is just put on for the tourists.

Do you honestly think I meant that??? :shock:

We have holidayed a lot in North Wales, we attempt to learn a bit of Welsh each time we go, I love the language, I think it's important that it is preserved and I think the Welsh do an amazing job of keeping it alive!

I just had this image of all the english holiday makers being hoodwinked and the Welsh having a laugh at our expense.

Feel free to take offence, I don't mind, but none was meant, honestly! :D

Unless its a specific welsh language post they can only advertise "Welsh speaking desirable", and they cannot negatively discriminate a non welsh speaker. So, under legislation they should appoint the best person for the job, only if two candidates at equal can they favour a welsh speaker...... I know..... I applied (and got) my current job despite my lack of skills at Welsh despite a desire to have a Welsh speaker in my post :wink: Ok my post is in South Wales, but it is a national post and I do spend time "up North" :wink:

Do you know I was only saying to Hubby the other day. I think it is a disgrace that we don't learn the other languages of Great Britain in Schools. Why DO we learn French & German? We really should have classes in English & Welsh etc. It would make sense. You are more likely to visit Wales for a holiday than France or Germany! :roll:

I think we are generally disgusting at language learning anyway. You go abroad & they really try at other languages. A lot have about 3 languages under their belt!

Lazy Brits!

Emma.x

Do you know I was only saying to Hubby the other day. I think it is a disgrace that we don't learn the other languages of Great Britain in Schools. Why DO we learn French & German? We really should have classes in English & Welsh etc. It would make sense. You are more likely to visit Wales for a holiday than France or Germany! :roll:

Sorry Emma, but I have to really disagree with this.

To me learning a language is about an ability to communicate.... 99% of people in Wales speak English, ditto to Scotland and Ireland. Therefore, English is all that is needed to communicate.

In my opinion, learning Spanish, French or German is FAR more useful, as will allow you to communicate whilst abroad (I agree with you that other countries put us to shame).

My work offered to pay for me to have Welsh lessons, I refused... No point! I can communicate in Wales... However I did go to night school to learn Spanish as OH and I regularly go to Spain on holiday... To me THAT was useful.

Language preservation is another thing.... And it is right that Welsh should be preserved.... Just don't waste my taxes on sending me everything bilingually and confuse foreign car rental people by putting Welsh on my drivers licence "Yes, Mr rental bloke this IS a British drivers licence :wall: "

OK rant over :wink: