jackian

Have you stopped eating meat since having chickens?

I have never been a great meat eater but would always eat sausages , bacon and chicken .

We grow most of own veg so had eaten meat less and less.

Then nearly a year ago now we got our lovely chickens....At first i still ate bits and pieces of meat but over the last few months I have stopped altogether .i convinced myself at first that I could not see much point as it was getting so exspensive but watching my girls running about out side and chatting to me through the patio doors it has more meaning, we went on holiday 2 weeks ago and although I ate fish I did not touch one bit of meat,.

I have also heard lately of someone who rehomed some FR chickens and they said they were in a worse condition than some battery hens :( ... My eating habits have certainly changed ...I eat more eggs :lol:

My chickens are most definitely not vegetarian so I don't see why I should be! We've always eaten responsibly farmed meat and always FR eggs (before we had our own). Having said that we often go for a few days without meat - but always have done. I didn't eat meat yesterday - but will tonight - but hadn't really thought about it - I just try to provide a balanced diet for the chaps!

As a farmers grand-daughter I have been brought up as a meat and two veg girl and don't feel like I have had a meal if I haven't had some sort of meat.

I am also a firm believer that we are natural meat eaters and it should form part of our diet, particularly for growing children.

However, I do not agree with intensive methods and all animals should be non intensively farmed. I am not an organics fiend, animals have the right to medicines as much as us, good husbandry and quality of life is much more important.

Water filled supermarket meat in big packs with bogof offers knocks me sick, why try and make people buy more than they need, a meat portion should be about the size of a fag packet, but we are eating two to three times that much and throwing tonnes of it away.

I also hate to see meat wasted, if the animal has died for our benefit then we owe it that we use as much as possible and not throw it in the bin.

Sorry, got a bit carried away - a subject close to my heart :whistle:

Like others,I still eat meat because I enjoy it,but I take care about the provenance of the meat we eat.

One of my daughters is veggies,so we have a lot of veggie meals too.

One good,fat,free range chicken gives me at least 3 meals if not more,plus cold cuts for sandwiches :D

Same here, we do eat meat, but only free range meat, and as our son is veggie we all eat a lot of veggie meals. Half of our meals are veggie I would say.The meat we buy is more expensive than non free range but I feel that this is balanced out by the low cost of the veggie meals we have. :D It is very healthy too overall. xx

You lot are more worthy than I am.

I like to eat locally sourced free-ramge meat but economics and a hungry family means that I often don't. And I feel little guilt about it. If there are special offers on at the supermarket then I get them. Simple as that!

I always bought organic free range from supermarkets occasionally butchers before, though I got chickens when I was 25ish so didn't have many years of shopping for myself first.

Now all the chickens in the freezer started their lives as eggs with us, pork and lamb we buy by the animal (or hlf) from a friend whose standards of welfare are very high.

Can't say it's having chickens that has changed this, more that getting chickens was part of our change.

We used to eat organic chicken, (Organically farmed animals DO get treated if need it , it is just they are not treated routinely with additves to their food,)

Then we felt odd and my mouth started to go dry ate the thought, and became akin to eating a dog or cat...

I no way judge others for eating it, it is simply how we feel.

However I have since become increasingly concerned about the awful goings on at slaughter houses.

And eat less and less meat.

It is ok feeling they have had a good life but a kind death would be my ideal.

This it appears to be ni impossible due to defra regulations?????????????????

I don't know what the answer is.. :(

I am also a firm believer that we are natural meat eaters and it should form part of our diet, particularly for growing children.

I've been vegetarian for more than 35 years. When pregnant I asked my doctor if I should start eating meat for my growing baby and he replied that thousands of women in India don't find it necessary to eat meat to give birth to healthy babies which put me in my place! Having been very healthy on my non-meat diet (I'm the only one in the office who didn't have a cold over winter) I'm not absolutely convinced meat is necessary to diet, and most people eat far too much of it. That said, I'm not a campaigning Veggie, I stopped eating meat because i just didn't enjoy it, and it seemed like a waste of a life to end on my plate... I did cook both my children meat and fish until they were old enough to make the choice for themselves as it's not something I would foist upon them. My DD is veggie, my son is near enough veggie.

I agree with everything else you say about meat sale and production though Duncan08