redcharlie43

Thank You my Ex Batts...

Fatty my last ex batt died peacefully yesterday. I was thinking back to when I first got them and how nervous I was that I would harm them. They and the Omlet forum members have taught me so much and have made me laugh every day. They have been patient on the days I mucked up, (Like when I cleaned them out and forgot to reopen the cube and couldn't work out why they where standing by the back door in the light when it was completely dark outside :roll: ) and though they laid many eggs, often they forgot to put shells around them! I have become a mad chicken women, much to the amusement of my lovely OH but my family and friends appreciate it when I turn up for dinner with a box of eggs. Having chickens has changed my life for the better. I get outside every day, come rain or shine and can't ever see myself without some back garden destroyers. But no matter how many chickens i will ever own I will be always grateful to Baldy, Fatty and Bully for coming to live with me and for setting me off on a fantastic chicken journey. Thank you so much girls, RIP and enjoy the meadow in the sky....

I second that. We still have one from 2010, she has out lived many others and I will be really sad when she goes. What a brilliant retirement though.

Ditto. We have 1 left from 4 that we rescued 2yrs ago today. Lola is still in good health and we don't think she's laid one egg since we got her, but we love her all the same :D

I so agree. My ex-batts humble me. Although they had a bad start in life, they have learned to trust, and cheerfully enjoy each day with no dwelling on the past or holding a grudge. They get so much pleasure from simple things. I only have one girl left and my world will be less bright when she goes.

I can only agree with all the comments which warm the heart on this damp night.

We sadly lost one of our 1st girls ( we weren't brave enough for ex batts as total novices). Now 3 yrs on we are waiting for the next rehoming date for Hampshire. The eglu arrived today so they can recuperate in comfort before joining gwinnie & Flo in the 'big' house!

Thanks so much for a lovely post.

X