Bubblebadger

Neighbours stealing eggs

Good to see you are getting it sorted. But, a word of caution, if you put a substance in the eggs to deter the thieves, you are committing a crime (Section 24 - Offences Against the Person Act 1861). That said, they shouldn't be stealing them in the first place! :evil:

I'm glad you are getting things sorted too.

But it is sad that you have to go to such lengths to protect something in your own garden. Parents should be more responsible and children should learn right from wrong from an early age. This parenting skill seems to have been lost.

I hope your pesky neighbours steer well clear of your garden and your dear chooks.

I'm sorry I missed your post first time round. I have just read it with absolute disgust... and a little amusement at all the suggestions to prevent it happening again! I'm glad you feel happier about the situation now. As others have said, it's appalling that you've had to go to such lengths to protect your own property and livestock (gorgeous girls they are too!)

Have had quite a cackle at the hints and tips. But rather gobsmacked. I'm guessing the little darling was up for a paper round maybe? Glad you've managed to do some preventative measures but it isn't fair that you've had to do that.

I wonder if they'll still attempt by other methods at a later date? Somebody (and I can't remember who) said that CCTV could be inadmissible in court because of some reason or other - even if you have signs up. But at least signs may act as a deterrent.

I have some roses out the front and my goodness they are hell to prune! I think they are rugosa ones - either way they are old varieties and often used as barrier hedging. Of course you also get the hips which are very good as they are like itching powder - it's the seeds. :wink:

I too have just read this thread and can not believe the audacity of some folk! Unbelieveable!!! But, glad the chooks are Ok and everything is getting sorted. I did have a bit of a giggle at some of the ideas to stop the thieves - especially the fake "antibiotic" or "medicine" idea and then casually informing the neighbours that they may get the runs, or worse!!!!!! Brilliant, I love it! You wicked lot!!!

We got fed up with some children coming in our garden. They used a particular spot in the corner so we used that to make a loose compost heap. Smelly slime from the pond, clearings out from the chicken run that sort of thing. It stopped them, they've moved away and the corner is enriched and full of wildlife. ( I call it my woodland area, but it's very tiny)

I'm very protective of my boundaries and won't accept that it's ok for neighbours kids to jump in when they want. I let my nice neighbour jump over to retrieve her naughty rabbits but that's something we agreed.

People are stunningly rude aren't they.