Bubblebadger

Neighbours stealing eggs

I was gutted to find my neighbours stealing eggs from my Eglu yesterday morning. Eggs have been going astray on and off for around 4 months now. I thought at first that something was wrong with my girls, Dorothy and Margaret, but their diet is great, they are very healthy, they free range in my garden during the day and are very much loved. I had found the back of their Eglu Go unlocked on a couple of occasions but put it down to me not being careful enough at clipping it in. Then one day I found a nest underneath a bush in the garden, it had around 15 eggs in it! So I continued to be puzzled as to why they had moved out but just put it down to their quirky nature and started to collect my eggs from there every day.

A couple of weeks ago I came home and went to collect the eggs from the bushy nest and saw that the plants around it had been trodden down and there were no eggs. I put this down to my cats. Perhaps they had jumped in there whilst playing? It bothered me for sometime as I think I knew a cat couldn't compress the leaves like that and they get on well with the chooks.

But then yesterday as I was brushing my teeth I heard next door's kid say 'I've got to get the eggs' so I ran to the window and saw him climbing over my fence and the back of my eglu open. Myself and my husband confronted his mother who was still sleeping. She made up a lie that he had gone out an hour previously (do 12 year olds go out at 6.50am on a Sunday morning?!) We then heard the lad and his friend inside the house from within ours. She knocked at the door a bit later saying that she'd retrieved the boys from her 'friends house'. She point blank defended them and they'd made up a story about finding a frog. Yeah, right. I believe that she is fully aware and involved in the eggs thefts.

Has anyone experienced this?

I don't know what to do. They are council tenants and I have reported it to the council (awaiting a response) and I'm already keeping a diary regarding other anti social behaviours of theirs. I'm terrified that my ladies have been man handled by the kids whilst trying to lay on both the nest in the eglu and now in the bushes and I've not had eggs for days. It makes me sick to my stomach that I am providing my chickens with a good life and someone could be mistreating them.

I'm getting a CCTV camera and the hubs and I will put a high trelice at the problematic point of our Victorian garden wall but we can't do that until at least Saturday.

Thanks for listening. :)

OMG - that is just awful. I would be absolutely furious - and worried about the hens too.

The CCTV is a good idea, as is the trellis, but I would also tell your thieving neighbours that if it happens again you are going to call the police.

Could you build a lockable WIR to keep the eglu and hens safe when you are not around? You shouldn't have to go to such lengths or expense to protect your property, but it might just give you some peace of mind.

I'm so sorry for you, and hope that the fact that they have now been caught, even if they deny it, will stop them in their tracks. Good luck.

There is a very prickley shrub you could plant. Police recomend it to prevent burglaries. Not got a clue what it is called but I am sure someone on here will know. Also make the trellis unsteady so the kids are unable to use it to climb on. Good luck. This sort of thing has gone on for years. My parents had chickens all through the war and after, they would rear them for meat and eggs. They had one chicken that was too scrawney for the pot so they decided to keep it, a few days later it went missing and they saw a neighbour plucking it. :twisted: This would have been over 60 years ago before I was born. It all made sense as the egg production had gone down also. The sad thing is my parents would have given them a chicken if they had asked. During the war and after if you kept a few chickens you had your rations for eggs taken and were given rations for chicken feed instead. My parents stopped keeping chickens shortly after. They never forgot and the story is now being retold all these years later. :roll:

Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I would be furious :evil: . I would keep reporting all incidents to the Council and if it does happen again report it to the police. I think you are right and the mum does definatley know about it, you have been providing them with a free breakfast!! I hope you get this resolved quickly.

This is exactly why I didn't get hens until I moved to the country - afraid stuff like this would happen :(

I think Chicken shack's wobbly fence (something inexpensive - sounds like it will get broken at least once until the kid works it out!) and spikey plant ideas are great - as is the CCTV , the latter especially if you're having other problems.

Could you move the eglu go nearer the house? Or where it would be less accessible?

I'd be rather tempted to smear something staining/unpleasant on the opener of the eglu :twisted:

Katoniaster (sorry cant spell) is prickely - problem with smearing stuff on the opening k"Ooops, word censored!" is that they are hard to open anyway. Homebase do a battery operated alarm thing for sheds etc and you have one in the home so if the shed is opened it alarms in the house. However I dont know if it would work in an Eglu. WIR with lock sound a good idea.

That is terrible. You can get anti-vandal paint that doesn't ever properly dry which I think you can paint on walls/fences. I've seen signs on various properties something like 'warning anti-vandal paint'. And that spikey stuff you tack on the top of fences, I think it is supposed to stop cats but I bet youths wouldn't like it much either! Best of luck.

Shocked :shock:! and all the more so at the behaviour of the parent :shock::shock:!

Very much in favour of wobbly trellis and you could always "accidentally" rough up the top, to leave splinters to deter little fingers. Pyrocantha and berberis are both wonderfully spikey plants to put in their landing zone and berberis is a pretty purple leaf too 8) .

You can get contact alarms from places like B&Q or Homebase that would cover the nestbox door, though they could still reach in from the front if they were very determined and the alarm might frighten your girlies if it went off.

Best to secure the garden and make it difficult and painful for the cheeky little blighters :twisted:

That is totally unacceptable :evil:

Do you think that now you have confronted the mother, that she will tell the kids to stop doing it.

They now all might think they cannot get away with it anymore!!

I would definitely install a CCTV though, or if it was your fence, put something horribly spikey on top of it .. This could also have a good effect of stopping any foxes trying to come in.

Outrageous! Tell the Police or at least ask your local Crime Prevention officer round. Do you have an active Neighbourhood Watch? If so involve them.

Cotoneaster isn't prickly. Pyracantha and Berberis are. So is a hawthorn hedge and dog roses. Why not cultivate some stinging nettles where they can get access for good measure (unfortunatley my garden does it for me :lol: ). I still remember the pain of coming off my bike into a ptach of stingers at 10 years old (and I was just cycling - not 'on the rob').

Good luck.

I stand corrected - wrong plant - good ideas - hope you get it sorted. My dad smeared vaseline over his wall cos of kids sitting on it. An angry mum confronted him moaning about her sons trousers and my dad said "well her was told not to sit on the wall" one nil to dad.

Hope your ladies are ok . Ali x

im with blueandwhite and alis girls years ago before i started keeping chickens i only had a 4ft fence at the back of the garden and kids use swing on it so much that it moved 2ft either way so i got some anti vandal paint and painted the top of all the slats while the kids watched me and told them not to touch it within 1 hour a neighbour was banging on my front door down "have you seen the state of him and what have you put on your fence" the lad was covered hands,face,t-shirt i explained that it was grease paint to seal the ends of the timber to preserve it and told the kids not to touch it but they didnt listen happen you could explain it to them for me. from that day on my fence was safe. anti vandal paint is a non setting paint and some makes put a substance in it that shows up on ultra violet you may have to keep applying from time to time but if they get on there hands it takes some shifting also clothes just have to be binned unless you like washing clothes in white spirit

good luck it worked for me

:D:D:D:D:D

That is appalling behaviour, I find it really sickening that they think it is OK to do this. I don't see how the mother could not have known about this, where did she think the eggs were coming from?!

Unfortunately, people who behave so scummily are not easily discouraged, so I would contact the local Crime Prevention Officer and get them to come and give you advice.

I would also report it to the police/ The police won't do anything, but it may be helpful later if you can demonstrate that you have reported the thefts.

CCTV is a good idea. Try and get one which has a reasonable resolution, it won't be much help unless you can get a clear image.

Keep written records of any securoty measures that you take, and keep track of what happens as a result. Write down in detail NOW< while it is fresh in your mind, exactly what happened today and what conversation you had with the mother.

Detailed written accounts of everything may help you later.

Good luck, please let us know what happens.

I am absolutely disgusted to hear about this! :evil: I feel sick to my stomach at the thought, so I can't imagine how you feel. I can't believe anyone would teach their children that it's OK to go onto someone else's property without permission, let alone stealing!

That is appalling behaviour, I find it really sickening that they think it is OK to do this. I don't see how the mother could not have known about this, where did she think the eggs were coming from?!

Unfortunately, people who behave so scummily are not easily discouraged, so I would contact the local Crime Prevention Officer and get them to come and give you advice.

I would also report it to the police/ The police won't do anything, but it may be helpful later if you can demonstrate that you have reported the thefts.

CCTV is a good idea. Try and get one which has a reasonable resolution, it won't be much help unless you can get a clear image.

Keep written records of any securoty measures that you take, and keep track of what happens as a result. Write down in detail NOW< while it is fresh in your mind, exactly what happened today and what conversation you had with the mother.

Detailed written accounts of everything may help you later.

Good luck, please let us know what happens.

I think WitchHazel is right with advice on how to move forwards! Plus everyone who suggested discouraging the kids with paint, plants etc. Good luck!

x

How odd. I'm glad that your chickens are OK and are laying normally after all.

What about saying to the neighbour that you are very happy to GIVE her a box of eggs a week.

That should hopefully stop her/her son breaking in and stealiing them.

The really sad thing is that I have given them eggs before... there have been no thank yous and the boxes haven't been returned either ;(

Thanks to everyone who has replied today. I've been really heartened to read all your replies whilst I've been at work.

I thought I'd update you!

I came home to find no eggs... BUT... I had another look around the garden and my beautiful, clever ladies have made a NEW secret nest! It had 5 eggs in it and it's behind a prickly bush!! Who said chickens have small brains?!! I gave them some peas and raisins as a special well done treat!

We will be looking into the trellis this week and hope to have it mounted by Saturday and perhaps a lock if that doesn't solve it. This will completely secure the garden. I also love the idea of prickly plants so we shall check those bad boys out whilst in the garden centre. I want to keep the garden as natural looking as possible and although the Vaseline and tar like substances are fantastic ideas, I don't want to have two cats covered in it and walking it through my kitchen!!

I'll continue to monitor how much they are laying.

It saddens me that children are taught to steal and/or think it's ok to. I really hope that my husband having a word, even though we parted with frustrations at the mum, has managed to scare them off.

Thanks for all your wonderful replies again. It's nice not to be alone in this!!

Good grief, this is absolutely appalling! I am so shocked at the attitude of the mother, less so the kids - unfortunately if they have never been tought any different (and by the sounds of it, 'put up' to this) then it's hardly surprising. But no less unpleasant for you.

I agree that lots of spikey plants are the way forward, also anti-burglar/cat spikes that you can buy from the garden centre to fix to the top of fences and I LOVE Egluntyne's idea of a few rotten eggs in the nest box. If they're going to behave like rotten eggs, then that's exactly what they deserve! :anxious::lol:

This is exactly why I didn't get hens until I moved to the country - afraid stuff like this would happen :(

I think Chicken shack's wobbly fence (something inexpensive - sounds like it will get broken at least once until the kid works it out!) and spikey plant ideas are great - as is the CCTV , the latter especially if you're having other problems.

Could you move the eglu go nearer the house? Or where it would be less accessible?

I'd be rather tempted to smear something staining/unpleasant on the opener of the eglu :twisted:

I have no room to move it closer to the house unfortunately but building up a trellis should solve the problem of it being within reaching distance