Bubblebadger

Neighbours stealing eggs

I would also report it to the police/ The police won't do anything, but it may be helpful later if you can demonstrate that you have reported the thefts.

My hubbie is actually a detective for a different police force, I think our problematic neighbours are about the only people in the road that don't know this!! I can't help but think that this is a good thing... judging by the way they have been recently it could just lead to more problems :cry: But he WILL intervene if he catches them in the act. :lol:

I think what makes this more annoying is that your neighbour is speaking to you as if you're daft! You're fully aware of what's going on, why lie to you?! It's too bad that you have to pay out anything but if it were me, I'd get CCTV for my peace of mind. Great recorded evidence to show the police if needs be.

Lovely picture of your hens by the way, I do like the !goyellow! too. :)

I imagine that the stealing will stop for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if it started again when they think things have died down,

It might be worthwhile keeping some eggs to ripen, in case they are needed. However, you should find a way to mark them (which won't be noticed). Having opened a rotten egg, your neighbours might just throw the rest away... but if they are really nasty (especially if they suspected that the rotten eggs had been planted) they might just put them back for you to find.

If it is over a single section of fence, maybe a wittle bit of this to stop their wittle hands

barbed.jpg

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

(people will think I own Alcatraz now :lol: )

No, really, it could really help. But of course, depending on local laws and the like, it might not be legal.

I know what it is like to have local authorities that can't be bothered. Especially when it comes to the Republic of Ireland and the Gardaí. :roll:

On a final note, don't let them get away with this. If we have to send genetically enhanced black rabbits (blackrabbit) or a swarm of bees upon them !bee! they won't get away with it :twisted:

I'm all for the big dog, geese and air gun, approach.

He'd be very disappointed looking for eggs in my coop at 6.50 all he'd get is a couple of egg sized poops for his trouble and a nasty bite from Lisa-Marie. :lol:

Can you move the girls and their coop elsewhere in the garden?

I would install land mines. Seriously _ I thought mustardy eggs would be a good idea - get hold of a syringe and needle and gently syringe in some nice hot mustard. Looks like your girls have had a go at solving prob themselves. Make sure their hiding place stays well hidden

I was having trouble with kids lobbing eggs into my garden (I have a steep wooded embankment just behind which, in theory is private land). The dog gets upset and after being nearly clobbered by one and then others hitting and baking on my greenhouse I decided to make their access difficult.

There was a sandy hill which they were clambering up so I decided to empty the chicken poo down it and then when I changed the woodchip threw all the poopy chip down too! They haven't been up at all these summer hols.

I was thinking you could smear some poop on the top of the fence every night.

Some great ideas from an ingenious lot on here!

Sue

Totally outrageous!

Lots of very good suggestions above. See if you are able to get any photos of the perps, I'd also be tempted to pop e few leaflets through doors in the vicinity, saying that you've had some thefts, the police have been informed and could all the neighbours kindly inform the police of any suspicious activity.

I live at the end of a terrace and every few houses we have side access alleys, I have one running up the side of my house. A few years back we had problems with someone bunking over the back fences and peeking through back windows... I installed trellis interlaced with holly bought (looked very rustic :lol: ) and powerful PIR lamps. Now I'm in the habit of letting the hounds of hell out if I hear any disturbances around the back - that's enough to deter anyone!

How about getting an electric fence - only to deter foxes of course :whistle:

I’m sure some else has suggested this when another omleteer was having trouble with overzealous and greedy neighbours: Give it a few days then ask your neighbour (rather anxiously) if any of her sons friends know you have chickens because you definitely saw a boy climbing over your fence so they might be the culprits since her son is innocent. Say you’d really like to know who it was because they might want to go to the doctor since you’re were on an egg withdraw period due to worming or some sort of chook medication. If they'd like to come forward you could provide with their doctor with info about the medication in question

Go on, worry them a bit. :)

Oh, and send them the bill for the trellis!