Bubblebadger

Neighbours stealing eggs

Say you’d really like to know who it was because they might want to go to the doctor since you’re were on an egg withdraw period due to worming or some sort of chook medication. If they'd like to come forward you could provide with their doctor with info about the medication in question

Go on, worry them a bit. :)

I'm liking this plan...you could mention the sudden uncontrollable diarrhoea that the strong medicine will cause to the egg eaters :wink: Think you should try it out.

Say you’d really like to know who it was because they might want to go to the doctor since you’re were on an egg withdraw period due to worming or some sort of chook medication. If they'd like to come forward you could provide with their doctor with info about the medication in question

Go on, worry them a bit. :)

I'm liking this plan...you could mention the sudden uncontrollable diarrhoea that the strong medicine will cause to the egg eaters :wink: Think you should try it out.

:clap: excellent idea, I also like the idea of Ukadex on the pop-hole handle... that stuff is vile and it's a really hard smell to get rid of.

I've been reading this thread for the last few days and I'm still sat here with my jaw on the floor!!

This is outrageous!!

I think a combination of ALL the suggestions about sounds like a completely proportionate response to me :)

So sorry for you, what a horrible situation to have to deal with.

x

I have it...

rifle :twisted:

whoops, what I meant to say was...

What about if you could find an old, cranky, mad, wicked, crabby, cross, quick-tempered, snappish mature cockerel. Honestly, if you can get a reallycross one they are the equivalent of a guard dog! My grandmother had one that jumped on her back one day and started fighting wildly (she wasn't hurt, but the cockerel was a little worse for wear afterwards :whistle: ) People are always trying to rehome unwanted cockerels especially cross ones.

Also liking the idea of egg withdrawel

I am trapped at my MIL's at the moment and only just read this.

I can't believe what I have been reading.

All the planting is a fab idea, and I love the idea of mustard eggs or rotten eggs, but my favourite really is the eggs were not to be eaten because of withdrawal. That would really freak me out and as for lice.....

I hope you get something sorted and that the blighters really get their comeuppance :lol:

I love all the suggestions! You guys are amazing!

I'm banking the antibiotic one - a great suggestion! As for an angry cockerel ninja... I don't want to come home to find my two little cats beheaded :? So not sure that ones viable.

Update: still waiting on a reply from the council with regards to reporting them. The girls secret nest is still hidden and I don't think they've been back over the wall. Going trellis and spikey plant shopping on Saturday! :twisted:

Hi BB, when I first read your post I was outraged on your behalf. I mean, it's not like eggs are that expensive to buy!

Then yesterday I found evidence that we have also had an intruder in our garden. :x

I got home from work on one of my chooks was missing. Her 'sister' who is really nervous was virtuallly cataonic with shock. Feathers in garden, big heavy plant posts knocked over including our pink poo bucket - poo everywhere.

No eggs in coop and the tarp over the coop was left in a strange position. All signs that a human (rather than animal predator) had been messing about in my absence. I'd left work early to make my daughte's birthday cake for her party last night, but ended up spending the afternoon looking under bushes and over fences into other people's gardens. I went round shaking the corn tub and whistling - and eventually heard an indignant quacky cluck from over the fence and tracked her down to another garden - but she was trapped as the neighbours were out and h=they have a very high fence & gate round their garden. Several hours later my OH managed to get her to flap up to the fence for some mealworms, and we got her back in the coop!

I think whomever has been taking eggs opened the nestbox to get the eggs, found it occupied and this frightened her, so she flapped out and over the fence. They probably made a grab for her (hence the feathers) and then kicked over the pots and bucket which were just under the nest box.

I suspect this might have been going on for a few weeks, as eggs have been fewer and I thought my OH was getting lazy about the tarp & gate...

I've put padlocks onthe gate and all the coop doors. surprisingly there was a full nest box of eggs today, and happy hens, even the poor PTSD speckledy :)

Electric fencing is always a great solution, a quick zap off that should deter any little fingers and larger ones too if they are unsure how to disarm the fence!! I give my neighbours and the postie eggs, so they are interested to protect their egg supply from any intruders :) :)

Hope all your garden improvements have solved the issue, if not use fruit tree grease band on top of your fence that stuff is sooo sticky and it just will not come off (unless you use wd40 to wash your hands) :twisted:

Not suprised you've had so much traffic on this thread - outrageous!

Also, not suprised at attitude of mother! As a teacher I have been totally gobsmacked at the number of parents who will defend the indefensible behaviour of their offspring even when the evidence is incontravertible.

Like the non-drying marker paint idea. We were burgled last week (luckily we have no valubles so one one ring taken) but the upside is OH is now beefing up the security with extra fencing which I have been asking for for ages to make the garden more fox-froof :D Our community police woman is seeing if she can find me some free sections of those prickly fence strips (I said for burglars but really mean foxy friends :lol: )

Even if they don't notice the poo spread on top if the fence it will make you feel better......

Hope you do catch 'em in the act - the kids need all of your help if the mum is not going to raise them properly. It might trigger some intervention for the family (but don't bet on it as resources are so tight.

Good luck

On my ! Just read everyones comments.

As a mother of 3 I would be devastated if my children did such a thing and if they did they would be round the house apologising and then cleaning the chooks out (when they next needed doing supervised of course!)

My friend recently told me how her chooks had been attacked with water guns (ok could be worse) she asked them to stop and they continued. When she spoke to the family they denied it all and there was no back up from the parents. Why are children being allowed to think they can do such things. It makes me really cross.

I love the idea about getting a cross rooster and I think my nephew (aged7) could recommend a 'feisty' one. My sister was house sitting and asked to him to collect the eggs, he was sqwaked at by the cockerel and chased the poor lad was running so fast that he fell over and the cockerel started pecking his bum ! My sister heard all the commotion she did her best to help but was laughing to hard. Poor old Jack he got the same response from me and his grandma (he did get comforted by my sister shes not completely mean and he has seen the funny side too)

Anyway if you too had a feisty cockerel and CCTV not only would the theive get a nasty shock, you could 'you tube the footage' to which we would all appalud you and then send it to youve been framed for a £200 bonus :-)

Serioulsy I hope it all gets sorted and would like to think maybe one day you would get an apology form the lads and parents

Oh that's just awful! And the behaviour of the mother is unbelievable!

As for the kind soul who recommended giving eggs to the neighbour - you are a better person than I am!

I hope you do report it to the authorities - it is theft and trespass after all.

Trouble is nowadays even a visit from the Police doesn't deter the little blighters - especially if the mother 'supports' them.

Good luck!

Well no more issues!! We are having a new outbuilding erected which will seal the wall of to our tricksy neighbours, and if anybody tries to climb over they'll be covered head to toe in black anti climb paint :) thanks for all your support. It's been lovely hearing everyone's schemes and outrage on my (and Dorothy & Margaret's) behalf. :clap: