Chortle Chook

Has anyone appeared in a magazine?

Has any Omleteer ever appeared in a magazine (not necessarily a chicken magazine)?

I've been wondering how the editors find their interviewees. For instance, I love housy magazines and was wondering how they find the houses that they cover. Are they friends or friends of friends of the editors or do they try a bit harder? :think:

Yes, I was in a dog magazine last year!

LINKY

The dog trainer whose classes we were taking Tango to at the time asked if we would mind being the subject of an article, as he writes for a dog magazine and thought chickens and dogs would make an interesting piece.

We didn't have to do much, just pose for a few photos (he already knew what we were doing in terms of working with Tango) and we didn't receive anything for it except a copy of the magazine and 5 minutes of fame! All good fun though!

Nicholas and I were in The Daily Mail about 4 years ago -does that count!? It was an article about breast milk banks (for prems whose Mums were unable to produce any/enough milk) and I had expressed with both boys and donated 123 litres to the bank. Sally Inch, who runs the breastfeeding clinic and milk bank at the JR in Oxford dropped me in it :notalk: !!No fee tho I did ask if they would make a donation to the breastfeeding clinic!

We had a make up artist as well as photographer but I still managed to look a complete idiot (had just had a disasterous haircut about 10 days before they contacted me and could'nt do anything about it!!!) Nicholas looked very sweet, tho slightly dribbly. Not sure how to do linky things so thankfully you are spared the results! :lol:

I had my previous house featured in 'Ideal Home' magazine a few years ago now. I used to own an interiors shop in a town near to my home and one day a couple of ladies came in and asked me if I had a nice house. I said that I liked it and they turned out to be freelance stylists and photographers for homes magazines and asked if they could come and photograph my house. As I had a business to promote I was more than happy for them to do it and it did get me a lot of business :D If you want your home featured in one of these magazines, I would email the features editor with some pics of yours house detailing a bit about yourself and any work you have done on your home and see if they get back to you. Good Luck and let us know if you get featured so we can buy the magazine :D

Not me but friends had their kitchen featured in a homes magazine, the designer :shock: of their kitchen had contacted the magazine as it was a good advert for them. we were very amused to see that the magazine stylist had to add clutter for the picture :lol: For ours they would be chucking stuff off counters into big crates to get it out of the photo. :oops:

Not in a magazine but I'm a poster girl for BRSCC :lol:

In my first year or so of marshalling we had a car upside down at the hairpin at Mallory Park. A photo exists of a group of marshals, including me, around the car preparing to do a controlled roll (driver was still in it). The BRSCC used a copy of that photo as a poster to promote marshalling and it still regularly appears (probably 6 years later) in race programmes.

PJ

I've edited a few magazines so can answer this one (I've been in a few, but it's many years since I was decorative enough to do that :lol: )

Journalists always start sourcing material through what they know - so that may well be friends, friends of friends etc.

And all journalists are expected to have a bulging contacts book (well, it was a book in my day, guess it would be a full iphone now), so if you wanted, say, a beekeeper with a retro kitchen and photogenic children you'd ring around various companies, organisations, charities you'd featured etc etc until someone suggested what you wanted

Some features come by people suggesting themselves - writing to the magazine and suggesting an article. Most of these don't meet the requirements (there needs to be a story angle, not just a nice pic), but some will be used

These days, unfortunately, with dramatically slashed budgets, the PR companies have greater sway and they're likely to be the first port of call

I was in "Which" magazine earlier this year after their money advice line staff helped me extract money from an old account I had with Santander. Basically the bank were hopeless, fobbed me off for weeks, but after Which got involved their attitude could not have been more different - got a cheque the next day !

The magazine sent out a photographer with lots of fancy kit, but sadly no make-up artist. They also sent me a book token when the magazine was published which was a nice surprise.

Period Living magazine is always on the lookout for people who have done up their houses (has to be a period one) especially people who have sourced their finds from car boots sales etc.

We've sourced all too much from car boot sales to the point where I don't think Period Living would ever get their cameras in :lol:

I was in a radiography magazine when I was a student because of an article I'd written - looking all gawky in my uniform, not exactly a great claim to fame.

I think my appearence on John Cravens newsround was much more exciting! (still in gawky uniform though) :wink:

I was in the Funday Times (Sunday Times kids supplement) a few years ago and won a Gameboy for my piece and have been in a few chicken magazines :lol:

Have been in The Gallery pages of Practical Poultry and written articles for a couple others.

Your Chickens was the first one and started the "Dr Chicken" nickname and after that I now regularly do articles for Fancy Fowl :)

I guess its getting yourself known to the editors which if you can send photos in, would be a great idea!