Reikiranf

Omleteers fit for 2013

Well done for setting this up Reikiranf, I enjoyed the 2012 thread.

My goal this year is to walk the Rutland Round which is a walk that (more or less) follows the Rutland border. It's 65 miles in total (shan't be walking it all in one go!) split into 5 walks of 13 or so miles, so I'll need to stay reasonably fit to do it.

I did really well with going to Zumba last year until the clocks went back and then it was all too easy to stay in with some comfort food and a glass of wine instead of going out to exercise - I need to get back on track with that too.

I have David Hayes new box fit DVD to try in between clients as i have postponed my gym membership due to lack of time. I am picking up and beating a far bit which has helps with toning of legs and bum but the top half looks a bit flobbly - I am hoping Mr Hayes can sort that out! :lol:

Cutting down on food too - OH not happy with the about of veg on his plate and Clover light in the fridge.....

Small steps. :roll:

I'm in too - I haven't weighed myself but my jeans are definitely tight. Back to watching what I eat and upping the exercise. I've rather over-indulged in cheese and wine this Christmas.

Going to cut right back on the wine, leave the cheese out of the shopping and stop eating crisps. :D

Having watched Michael Mosley's Horizon programmes about exercise and diet I have started on his "fast diet" and have ordered an exercise bike from Amazon so I can do the high intensity training he advocated. Hoping that if I can lose some weight I will be able to do more walking too. The diet at least has worked as I have lost around 7kg since the start of November with a bit of a plateau over Xmas. Hopeful that the downward trend will continue as I get back into the swing now the holidays are over. Amazon says the exercise bike has been dispatched so v soon I'll have no excuse not to get fit in 2013!!

PS Any other omleteers doing the fast diet (aka 5:2 diet or intermittent fasting)?

I am trying to get myself more motivated regarding exercise; I have a good general level of fitness - walking the dogs twice a day sees to that. I do circuit training on a Monday evening and manage about 40 minutes at the gym on a Wednesday before I collect Rosie from lifeguard training. I really need to write myself a programme for the Wednesday slot to prevent apathy creeping in and the routine slowing down :oops:

I used to go road running, but my knees are too bad for that nowadays. :roll:

Rosie is now more or less back on form after her accident; she does a 3-4 miles run most days, is back swimming and will start training with the local junior triathlon team next week. 8) I am trying to make her understand the need for rest in an exercise routine, and the benefits gained from it :roll:

Having watched Michael Mosley's Horizon programmes about exercise and diet I have started on his "fast diet" and have ordered an exercise bike from Amazon so I can do the high intensity training he advocated. Hoping that if I can lose some weight I will be able to do more walking too. The diet at least has worked as I have lost around 7kg since the start of November with a bit of a plateau over Xmas. Hopeful that the downward trend will continue as I get back into the swing now the holidays are over. Amazon says the exercise bike has been dispatched so v soon I'll have no excuse not to get fit in 2013!!

PS Any other omleteers doing the fast diet (aka 5:2 diet or intermittent fasting)?

Is this similar to the breast cancer diet? My DD and I did it last year, you have two days of eating not very much (about 650 cals) - I seem to think it was only certain vegetables you could eat and then you can eat 'normally' the rest of the time. I've given that up but my DD is on it a couple of times a month.

can see how the fast diet can work short term, but i would worry about the effect on your metabolism long term. any kind of fasting will ultimately result in weight gain because the body thinks that it has been starved and then stores more calories to cover the starvation periods. We would have lived like this as hunter gatherers but it would hard to makeit work in the present day.

The exercise thing seems to work very well though. I remember seeing the Horizon about this but don'e remember anything about the diet, was there a follow up programme?

Great news that Rosie has made a good recovery! I started a new thread to save ploughing through the old one Dogmother :?

Good to see so many of us on board :D Hopefully we can keep each other motivated, as although we're all pretty keen at the moment I'm not kidding myself that the enthusiasm won't wane!

I've just added Davina McCall's Ultimate target DVD to my collection for the bargain price of £5, including delivery from Tesco direct, I've only done it a couple of times but am enjoying it and feel it working :D

Good luck with your aims everyone, I look forward to hearing how you're all getting on.

The 5:2 diet consists of eating normally on 5 days of the week but on 2 non consecutive days eating only 25% of your recommended intake which is around 500 cals for an average woman. You don't go into "fasting mode"because before your body can switch into this, you are eating normally again. The Horizon programme focussed on how fasting occasionally can reduce the chances of various cancers (including breast cancer and prostate cancer), delay or slow Alzheimer's, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. And you lose weight as a bonus. It is all backed by scientific research rather than being the invention of some diet guru. Animal studies also show extended lifespan but of course it will take years to find out if that applies to people too.

Dr Michael Mosley, the programme's presenter has been following the diet since meeting the experts who have been researching intermittent fasting and got massive drops in cholesterol and improvements in pre diabetes indicators and lost loads of weight too. He has also continued with the high intensity exercise. His next area to attack is insomnia and as I sleep v badly I'm hoping he can come up with another good idea!

Eating less is generally associated with a longer lifespan and less disease; over-loading our bodies is no good thing.

I often (inadvertently) eat less at the weekend, mainly because I'm busy and don't get time, having said that I don't feel very hungry so it's not an issue.

I could never understand how people could do that, especially people who say "oh I forgot to eat lunch", but since starting intermittent fasting I find I often skip meals on normal eating days as I don't feel hungry. I think the fasting has re-educated my stomach/brain to be able to recognise real hunger rather than assume that because it is lunchtime I must be hungry. This has meant that on the normal eating days I don't over compensate for the fasting (or more correct, reduced calorie) days and so the weight has been coming off more readily than with any other diet.

Just waiting for the arrival of the exercise bike now...

That's exactly the point ..lay a little egg for me, and it took me a while to get into the habit too; I have a fast metabolism and need to eat regularly so am in the habit of eating even when I'm not hungry, which isn't good. I also need to eat at certain times in the week as I'm at work and need to fit in with others' routines. At the weekend, I will have a small protein-high cooked breakfast and then not eat again until a light supper in the evening.

This all sounds interesting. I must admit despite what I said in my earlier post, we often don't bother with lunch at a weekend. We too have a cooked breakfast, then don't eat again until early evening. During the week when I am not in the office I also tend not to have much for lunch, usually too busy so just eat a banana or other fruit. I will investigate further, before Christmas I had been trying to reduce my portion sizes and walk more, must carry on now.

Having knackerd my hip going over the top on the Wii fit step (1600 plus in 10 mins EVERY day with a step raiser!) I have decided to scale down the excersice as I was getting a bit obsessive about it - even OH commented on it! Luckily I lost a bit before the hols and only put on about 3lbs over Xmas so am more or less back where I started but want to lose about 7lb in total so have decided to alternate 10 mins hard rowing per day on the machine with Wii fit step - some days I will double up and maybe just one day a week I'll give it a miss! For me, short, intense bursts of 10 mins work well :dance:

Diet.......high protein/low carb (like Dogmother, carbs are high fibre- love oatcakes!!) I have a freind who is a vet and she said they saw lots of dogs over the Xmas period who were unwell due to being fed (or having stolen!!) chocolates/cake/Xmas pudding! On the basis that its really bad for dogs I'll give sugar a miss too! :lol:

OH has gone away for a few days with work and, before he went, I gave him two bags to put in the car and take with him. Two boxes of Thorntons Chocs and three family packs of Tyrells Crisps........just couldn't trust myself with them in the house and no OH to keep an eye on me!! :oops::lol:

Really looking forward to hearing how everyone else is getting on!

Only just spotted this :oops:

I'd like to join the party this year if I may :P

I started cycling in September and have set myself a goal to cycle 1200 miles in 2013 (so average 100 miles a month). Off to a flying start so far having done 60 miles already :dance:

Not seeing many benefits on the scale yet, but my blood pressure has come down :D

A tentative hello everyone! :anxious:

This year is all about small steps for me. Having failed miserably at establishing a proper exercise routine last year I'm going to set my expectations low but hopefully realistic. My weekly routine is hectic and I have a very long commute three days per week which totally wipes me out and leaves me not wanting to do anything! I'm up at 5am every morning so can't stay up late at night which reduces my time available too. Last year I always felt like I was trying to keep on top of everything and never quite managing it and feeling constantly flustered :? BUT I think (hope) that I should be able to increase my exercise even if it is just half an hour once or twice a week on the Wii with OH laughing at me!

We'll see :roll: