Reikiranf

Omleteers fit for 2013

I bought a pedometer to see how far I walk in a day. Basically mostly nowhere. I was shocked. I've started doing the 10,000 steps a day challenge. I'm losing size, toning up and gaining strength. I've become very competitive with myself and try hard to walk more and more. The best I've done is 18,000 steps. I can't keep up with OH on his workdays yet as he averages 24,000 but the challenge is there.

I keep a diary and tot up at the end of the week as some days are better than others. I try for around 70,000 in a week.

2,000 steps is about 1 mile so my aim is 35 - 40 miles a week. Generally I get between 25 and 35 miles. I have found that I eat less too because the pedometer tells me approx calories I've worked and that makes me think carefully about what I'm eating.

To make the steps aerobic I do a lot of them as marching on the spot - the pedometer also registers how many steps are aerobic. To make it more fun I've bought some virtual fitness trail DVDs so I can follow a route. I love them, probably not everyone's idea of a good time but they help me work harder because as well as counting steps I want to finish the trail.

It's ideal for me as I'm very lazy about wearing special kit or going out to do fitness and I can fit this into every day life.

Even on rest days I'm walking some so I always have stepcounts to write down in my diary.

When we go out OH and I try to beat each other so we do extra steps so we exercise more. Can't lose really.

It's the most easy, enjoyable but effective exercise I've ever done.

I haven't posted here for while.

Still keeping up with spinning. My bicycle has become my main mode of transport. Cycling 40 plus miles a week, quite often with shopping loaded in the basket and in the panniers. My car is very rarely used now, although this might change as the weather gets colder and the days shorter. Need to think about that one. New bike being repaired today as the chain keeps coming off :wall: so I am using my Dawes which I think is made of lead, still gives my legs a good workout.

This week had a fantastic 15 mile walk with OH at the beginning of the week. Drove to Aviemore and walked around the Rothiemurcus (sp?) estate. The walk took us round 2 lochs and along footpaths surrounded by purple heather, Blaeberry bushes, small conifers and silver birch trees. Also had walks along beaches and along ridiculously narrow tracks following raging rivers far below :shock: I didn't like that walk at all :(

Ali-s...sounds wonderfully scenic :mrgreen:

I am still trying to do 10 mins hard/fast on either the rowing machine or Wii Fit step every day (have bought a raiser so its about 6" high now) or both if I can motivate myself. Both leave me sweaty :vom: and hot so guess that's doing some good but not sure if I should be doing more?

Better now its a bit cooler....was a killer in the really hot spell!

The riser for the Wii Fit is good isn't it. I bought one a while back and find it gives you a better step workout, much more sweaty. I like the free step, I switch over to the TV while I am doing the steps. I never know if the Wii Fit is actually doing anything good for me :? I do know it tells me one day I have lost 2lbs in weight and the next day I have put on 4lbs :? I have started to do the body test in my bra and knickers :oops: as they weigh the least and all my underwear must weigh about the same :?

Have been shopping in town. 16 miles there and back on the bike. I rode the long way as it is a lovely day and we might not have too many more nice days this summer. Bought my Dawes a new shower cap :D from Poundland. I use them as saddle covers :D You need a waterproof saddle cover in this part of the world :lol: This one is red with a Minnie Mouse design and a blue spotty bow. Wish now I had bought the pink Miss Piggy one for my newer Bike :roll: Good excuse to go to town again :D

The riser for the Wii Fit is good isn't it. I bought one a while back and find it gives you a better step workout, much more sweaty. I like the free step, I switch over to the TV while I am doing the steps. I never know if the Wii Fit is actually doing anything good for me :? I do know it tells me one day I have lost 2lbs in weight and the next day I have put on 4lbs :? I have started to do the body test in my bra and knickers :oops: as they weigh the least and all my underwear must weigh about the same :?

Have been shopping in town. 16 miles there and back on the bike. I rode the long way as it is a lovely day and we might not have too many more nice days this summer. Bought my Dawes a new shower cap :D from Poundland. I use them as saddle covers :D You need a waterproof saddle cover in this part of the world :lol: This one is red with a Minnie Mouse design and a blue spotty bow. Wish now I had bought the pink Miss Piggy one for my newer Bike :roll: Good excuse to go to town again :D

Yes, I'm really pleased with the Wii riser - I do the free step too, as fast as possible tho I have yet to beat 1600 in 10 minutes, which is my goal. The neasrest I have got is 1587! :wall: Mine seems pretty consistent regarding weight but I do make sure its the same time of day in the same kit!

Have you tried those freebie shower caps that hotels give out as bike seat covers? OH is often away and we had a stash which I passed on to the postie as she was fed up with getting a wet bottom 8) !!!

I made 24,000 steps on the pedometer today. It says that is 12 miles and 1302 calories burnt and that 20,284 of the steps were aerobic. I set the pedometer up so that's all a bit rough but even so I'm pleased. It was a challenge I set myself for today and it took a long time especially as I also wanted to make some walnut bread. So a good day's achievement. Must remember not to eat the bread. House is a mess though, it didn't leave much time for anything else to be honest.

Feeling quite proud of myself :P .

Have just completed 5 races in 5 days as part of a fun competition run by my boys' running club. You do the runs in your own time if you can't manage the official start and submit your times. The runs were a downhill, an uphill, an up and downhill, a trail run and a beach run.

They use a handicap system so the fast youngsters don't always win (OH won last year as a result). No chance of me winning but I'm just pleased to have managed them all :D .

This wasn't the longest run but was the biggest climb. Surprisingly, I quite enjoyed it :shock: .

9761910112_df6c0bfbcc_c.jpg

Wii fans, what do you recommend to get good use of your Wii for fitness? I have a Wii that my husband got me last year because I mentioned I wanted to try the Zumba program, but I actually do Zumba at the gym twice a week so I haven't used it much. I think I would use it more for other things like yoga and step since my gym doesn't offer those classes at a convenient time for me. Do I need the Wii Fit Plus with balance board to get started?

I've been doing Zumba 2X/week, BodyPump once, and sometimes a yoga and aerobics DVD. I have firmed up, but not really shrunk much. When you are 46, hypothyroid, and have a very sedentary job, it's hard to get the weight to drop! :(

Leeloo- I only really use the Wii for a fast 10 minute free step. I bought a riser for the board so that its harder and find that I can easily fit in 5 or so sessions each week (IMHO that's the key to keeping going - finding a time that works well; mine is straight after I settle YS around 7.00pm before heading down to make up the packed lunches for the next day!)

The running 'on the spot' was OK but I suffer from bursitis in my right hip so running aggravates it (tho, oddly, not fast stepping :think: ) There are other step programmes but they take some concentration - not something I have oodles of at 7.00pm!

The Wii counts you down from 10 mins (tho you could choose 20 mins if you were feeling particularly masochistic) and gives you the number of steps (I aim for 1600 in 10 mins but did 1638 tonight :dance: )

Its worth playing around with the different options to see what suits you best; the aerobic ones are best for fat burning! :D

I received a one month gift membership from Curves today via a friend who goes there. I go for an induction on Monday. Don't want to lose any weight but would like to tone up my jelly belly and upper body. I will see what the Curves folk say. I have used a normal gym before but feel uneasy when there are any body building males there.

If I enjoy Curves I will drop one of the Spinning sessions. Still cycling to work most days as the weather is still reasonably good, although early this week the road to work was icy in places so had to cycle carefully.

Been absent from this thread for a while, but I have been keeping up my cycling. It's got too addictive now, to the point where I've even ordered a folding bike to allow more opportunities!!

However, it must be working as I have lost just over a stone, and more importantly I have lost 18% of my body fat :dance: my body fat is now only 1% above where it should be, so that will go in no time.

Well done everyone on their achievements whether they be through wii fit at home, through running, through gym or through whatever means.

Ali - Glad you are still cycling as much, I've started commuting to work on my bike when I'm in the office that's 10.5 miles away.... The folding bike will be used as a "other side of the train" for the office that's 40 miles away :lol:

Wow this thread is so cool. Loving the idea of this, wish we had similar on my other forum. With the help of my schnauzer, i have been trying to get fit, we try for 3km a day and today we maxed out on a 8km wander around a local country park.

Your stories are making me want to try more :D