Mr Rhode Island Red

Oldest Hen you have/ever had?

Hi All.

Although it sounds a bit morbid, I am trying to find out a bit more about the life expectancy of hens.

The oldest hen I have is Sadie, a Rhode Island Hybrid. Got her as a day old chick in December of 2006. So at her last birthday, December 2012, she was 6 years old. She is really a trophy of how long I have been keeping hens for.

As I mentioned, back in 2006, she was got, along with 6 other day-old chicks. In a very unfortunate series of events, over a time of 15 months, 6 of these hens became egg-bound and died. She was the only one left and I had considered giving her away and stopping keeping hens. But I replenished the flock and they have been going steady ever since.

Sadie, at 6, still as hard as nails

My oldest hen is also called Sadie! She's a Speckledy, and I rehomed her from someone who was emigrating to Australia in the summer of 2008 - she was already about a year old, as far as I recall, so she must be coming up for six.

None of my others has lived much longer than 3 years though, and in my own experience and reading about others on this forum, that is an average age for a hybrid. Sadie is no longer laying, but still looks fit and happy - I would be surprised if she's still here by the end of this year though.

Pure breds def live longer. Oldest hen I've had so far is 7 and she was a light Sussex. The oldest hybrid I have is Dolly an amber link, she will be 5 in the spring! She is my cuddle baby and I will be truly gutted when she goes.

That is interesting Mostin, I have only had hybrids until last year when I hatched my bantam babies. Of my hybrids Latte is the oldest at just over 5, she was one of my four originals, two from Omlet and two bought locally. She is a Sweetie which I think is an Amber Link by another name. She is my second most friendly chicken, Henny Penny who was my Gingernut from Omlet was my friendliest so far :D Latte laid lots of eggs in the autumn but is now having a rest and a small moult.

Chrissie

Interesting thread. My 4 pure breeds are just about 5 years old, only one (Barnevelder) is still laying. My Light Sussex has dementia, poor old soul. She was always a very broody hen, became profoundly depressed, and eventually stopped laying. Now I have to get her out to eat and drink, as she seems to have forgotten how to do it. She also has to live alone behind a net, because the others beat her up and she doesn't defend herself.

The Cream Legbar only laid for 8 months, packed up for the winter in 2009 and never bothered again!

My ex batts have mostly lasted to 3 or 4. I lost another yesterday :(

Treacle, my Suffolk Noir, was purchased in September 2007 and she was already laying when I got her, so I anticipate she is coming up for 6 shortly. She came back into lay again last week bless her. Never had a day's ill health in her life. Tough as old boots! :lol:

My oldest ex-batt is Parsley, who I will have had 3 years free in April. I thought I was going to lose her last month as she developed an impacted crop and was bringing up horrible brown liquid, but a course of Baytril and Metacam and some massage have put her right and she's now back on top form, bless her. :D

My sis in law few doors down from me has a Maran called Miranda, and we worked it out the other day that she is coming up for 10 years now!! She got her when my daughter was 10 months old (we remember it quite clearly), and when she got her she was already a year old :shock::shock: Obviously not laying anymore, but go Miranda :lol: She is massive, quite slow in a stately way, and don't take no nonsense from the young ones :D

My oldest hen must be about nine now! I bought her the day before my cousin was born on valentines day which is why i always remember! Just realised that means I have been keeping chickens for nine years next week!! Where on earth has that time gone!!

Anyway back to Henrietta! She has survived the fox twice and a dog and doesn't look as though she is going anywhere soon!! :)

aah well back to uni work, here's to another nine years of poultry keeping and showing!!

CAG :)