freddie

Mothers Day

We're doing Tea at Three, for Oh's mum and Dad, mine are gone, so it seemed an easier and less painful way.

There will be scones and cream and jam, and Chocolate biscuits, along with cucumber sandwiches. I have lemon drizzle in the oven now, and a coffee cake...

There wont be any decent china, as it's all packed and stored away, elsewhere, due to our damp/renovation project!!

What's everyone else up to??

OH has been away for the last three days- home this pm around 8.00pm! Have told them (ES 8 and YS 5)not to do anything as I feel its all very commercial but will secretly be dissapointed if there is no fizz (poor OH can't win - tho he should have caught on by now bless him!) Have sent a card to my Mum - OH's Mum died 17 years ago.)

Would just be nice to be able to go to the loo/have a shower without someone shouting questions through the bathroom door - simple pleasures are the best!!!! :lol:

I totally agree with the last sentence!! Time off in Loo.... That's how it Should be spelt!!

The supermarket this morning was full of stressed men with small children, overpriced flowers, and some really awful cards :lol:

Why does the Card Industry think we mothers want a me to you grey bear, gushing??? :roll:

Have done Mum and Mum-in-law, pub lunches and presents so tomorrow is mine. OH, ES and DD are all working so I'm spending the day with the twins and we have quite a great day planned.

They are going to cook a roast with a little help from M&S and while that's doing we will watch Argo. Then with plenty of beer we will watch England V Italy, Six Nations Rugby.

I spotted a bottle of bubbly lurking in the beer fridge too.

Quite a blokey day really but I think it's going to be a laugh. They're two of my best mates and I enjoy spending time with them. :D

I totally agree with the last sentence!! Time off in Loo.... That's how it Should be spelt!!

:lol::lol: ES was a VERY demanding baby and, to get a bit of P&Q I used to announce to OH 'I'm off to the loo' and would then dissapear upstairs with a book for 20/30 mins in order to save my sanity, not forgetting to flush the loo beforeI went back down - did the same with YS and I think OH now thinks chidbirth = strange disruption in the digestive process but, hey, it worked for me :oops::lol: !!!!

Seriously tho, it IS the little things that make the difference every day like the boys saying 'thanks, Ma, that was a yummy supper' or 'thanks, for getting my lunches ready' or, just out of the blue, 'Ma, I really love you!'.......to me, that means much more than a cuddly bear/card etc!!!

As previously posted, however, having been on my own most of this week, I will be a bit teasy if OH doesn't bring back some fizz for tomorrow!!!

Mum sadly departed 14yrs ago - OH working so just me and the boys. Some "me" time is the best gift with boys helping out with chores :D No swimming/orienteering today - so for the 1st time in ages took boys into "town" for bits & bobs which was amazingly bare-able, made me smile when I heard groups of girls giggling then saying "hi" to them :lol:

I know my boys haven't bothered :evil: there will be a panic tomorrow morning when they will say to OH why didn't you remind us and he will tell them he did.

TBH one of my sisters always goes so over the top for my mum that my other sister and I find mothers day really stressful so we do want something low key but I would like my boys to remember to get a bunch of daffs. I've sent card and sorted a practical present for my mum as she is away with sister who goes OTT and will give her a ring, OH's mother died when he was a teenager so that's easy.

Off to Church in the morning with my 2 eldest boys, hubby will stay home with youngest. My mum will be in church too, she always goes for the 'occasions'. At the end of the service the vicar gives out little bunches of daffodils at the front of the church, so all the children (big & small) can go and collect one for their mum. It's usually Guide/Brownie parade so lots of children.

Then in the afternoon it's the start of middle son's birthday celebrations (birthday on Tuesday). We're going bowling and then Pizza Hut for tea. I've had a bunch of tulips today, not expecting anything else, although it sounds like MS has made a card in school which he hid as soon as he got home on Friday.

I bought my mum a little pot plant and I've spent the afternoon crocheting a daffodil which I'm going to attach to a brooch fastening. My first attempt at one and amazed it actually came out right :D

I miss my mum at times like these, but she wasn't really into all the Americanisation of things, so I've taken a leaf from her book, and told mine to be sensible, (as long as there's a bit of Chocolate, in any form!!

I've made lemon drizzle, and an coffee sponge this afternoon... kitchen smells nice!

I have sent my mother a card, not that she will know what it's for :( we don't usually do visits for anything other than birthdays, and they are 1.5 hours away so we can't just pop over. I will still call in the morning though, and a call to Phil's mum too. Rosie is with her dad this weekend, she probably hasn't remembered and he won't remind her, Phil usually reminds her for me but I don't think he's sent her a text. R used to make me a rather messy breakfast in bed when she was little 8)

I was helping prepare 80 bunches of flowers for the ladies in church tomorrow and making the Sunday school childrens paper flowers into a display. So tomorrow I will be there to help hand out the flowers. I will be up before YS who informed me that my gift is in the post! ES has told me I am getting gloves he bought for himself online but as they turned out to be ladies ones he is giving them to me :shock: Actually they will be nice as they are M&S leather ones. I also got a box delivered today from DD which had flowers, a vase and chocolates inside :)

No idea if my lot will have remembered...will probs take some daffs from the garden down to mum as she popped in this afternoon unannounced & I completely forgot :oops: I did take her out for lunch during the week, so don't feel too bad :wink:

That "me to you" teddy is from Chichester , so is usually greeted with more affection from us then is normal :roll:

Quiet day in with hubby and younger two, ED is at uni and was home a couple of weeks ago and she had a busy weekend at the Modern Jive championships in Blackpool last weekend, so I have told her to stay put this weekend and we will have a chat on Skpe instead.

YD is ging to cook as much as she can of Sunday lunch and get me my breakfast n bed n the morning. She has forgone a sleepover tonight so that she will be here in the morning and DS went into town to buy something this afternoon, which for him is quite something , he doesn't really do shops or voluntarily going out so just that much is touching, he is actually quite good at gifts when he can be bothered, I am expecting a book, because Waterstones is somewhere that he is prepared to shop.

Feeling pretty lucky :D

Edited to say that I stitched a bookmark for my Mum and sent some chocolate, and OH painted a card for his mum and sent her some chocolates. We will ring them both tomorrow.

The Reception class had a Mothers Day celebration on Friday afternoon that I went along to. Lots of songs and they'd all recorded a video clip saying what they love about their Mummy, aaaw, very cute! :D

OH has been away since Wednesday, not back til late this afternoon so no chance to put my feet up here. Littlest Bogwoppit has also decided she's not going to sleep very well in the past week so I'm totally shattered. Up at 5am so I get an extra long Mothering Sunday with my children :lol::lol:

Have a great day everyone! 8)

No sign of my boys, OH made me a cup of tea and a toasted hot cross bun :clap: I'm off to church. We're wondering when (if ever) they will realise it's mothers day. My dad and FIL are coming for late Sunday lunch and I know FIL has bought me some flowers for mothers day because he mentioned it on the phone yesterday :lol:

Well Hubby has done well this year I have had choccies :-) and cards and even the chickens cats and rats have contributed :-) My YS made me a gorgeous card at nursery I love those more than anything

As for the day my mum is not feeling very well we will pop and see her later after MS has done rugby training and we have looked at a new car for me as mine is dying :-(

Im planning on getting my mum some chickens for mothers day but only fair if she can choose them so that will be a future outing .

I am currently slobbing on the sofa after ED made breakfast for me and YS (nearly 4) is making me 'roast pasta' for lunch

Hope you all enjoy your day xx

Quiet day for me here. I have one daughter who lives in Yorkshire. She rang me for a chat this morning. Received card and Kindle voucher too. Every year I tell her not to bother as it is over-rated. Up to 18 months ago when I lost my Mum it was always a very stressful time for me. From being a young girl she always insisted that as well as buying her a card and gift, I had to do the same for my Grandma and my Auntie cos she didnt have any children. Then when my daughter was old enough she was expected to do the same as well. If we hadnt done it - mum would have made us feel guilty for months. Now there is just my Ma in law - who is adamantly against the whole idea and would fall out with us if we did get her even a card. So long as I hear from my daughter I couldnt care less if I dont get anything. That means far more than a card or gift. :D

Just got out of the bath, mangaed 30 mins without being disturbed (new record) :shock: . Hubby has started to cook, Hairy Bikers "Beef in ale" fire alarm gone off 3times & daughter is crying.It was good while it lasted. Wondering what the chances are of getting to watch the rugby at 3pm. Slim or none :roll:

Sage

I got a collection of handmade cards from my 2 girls, they seem to make cards at everything they go to (brownies, after school club and school itself) so I ended up with six cards from the 2 of them. All very sweet.

The day was only mildly mared by hubby having the man flu and moaning. He is also in his mum's bad books for not sending her a card, I did buy a card and got a first class stamp for it but it has remained on the worktop all week. I would have posted it for him but drew the line at writing it for him. Problem is MIL will also be angry at me for not getting him sorted out, the perpetual problem of being not good enough for their DS.

Feel no guilt, if she has a problem with her son blame it on her parenting skills :wink:

We had a quiet day, I eventually got breakfast in bed and after much moaning YD peeled the veg for tea and DS fed and watered the chickens. Poor OH did the rest despite feeling a bit rough, he didn't moan until later though I was most impressed. :D my present was given to me at 7pm not sure why it was that late, but it was a book called The Rivers of London, which is fantasy crime novel.

I spent and hour and a half in the afternoon chatting to my mum on the phone and OH managed to get to speak to his mum briefly before his dad muscled in as usual. :roll: