Ziggy

Yeti - upsetting news- yet again

Yeti is in hospital, with a serious, and yet undiagnosed condition...

I went to her crate this morning to let her out and give her breakfast, and found she'd been sick and had diarrhoea.

She was quite lethargic and wouldn't touch her food. She sniffed at the water but didn't drink.

I went to look up some information and vet phone number, and when I came back to her there were two puddles near her... couldn't tell which end it'd come out of... I guess, from closer inspection, it was sick rather than anything coming out of the other end... one puddle was clear... one was pink, like diluted blood...

Rushed her to the vet and she's there now... vets are stabilising her (she was getting dehydrated and was in shock), and doing xrays and blood tests... they don't seem optimistic... parvo has been mentioned as a possibility, or some kind of blockage in digestive track, or it could be anything else...

We're so, so upset... our little Yeti was so full of life and bounce yesterday, and this morning she is so seriously ill...

:cry:

Edited by Guest

Hey everybody, thank you for your kind words.

Vets have confirmed its NOT parvo... which is good... but they don't know what is actually wrong with Yeti.

She is stabilised with fluid, but still very ill. They're giving her antibiotic drugs and anti-viral drugs. No idea whether she will pull through or not...

I'm feeling drained... will update when I get more news...

Thanks again everyone.

:( Sorry to read about Yeti - round here the dogs sometimes get a similar thing, caused by a water parasite which basically lives in the standing puddles etc. It may be worth mentioning as a Bearded Collie was very poorly like Yeti with blood in vomit etc

Hugs to you all

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes and the support, it's not easy waiting for news and worrying all the time.

I spoke to the people at the vets, and Yeti is doing ok, though she's obviously still ill. They still don't know what's wrong with her, so they have her in isolation and are treating her as if contagious and viral.

She did say that Yeti was bright and alert right now, and is eating and drinking (which is progress compared to yesterday morning). She still has diarrhoea, but there is no blood in it. However, the vet nurse also warned that when ill and put on fluid, puppies often perk up for a while, but depending on what is wrong they can then go downhill again.

I'll call them again this afternoon and see if they have found anything new.