Patricia W

Butterflies!

I was walking the dog yesterday lunchtime and there were quite a few butterflies. Saw a couple of bright yellow ones and some small red admirals I think - they had eyes on their wings. Have also seen a few bees about the place too :D

Just had a look at a butterfly identifying website and it appears they were Brimstone and Small Tortoishell :D

Lots of buzzards and red kites to be seen round here and it looks like they might be starting to think about pairing up for spring. I loved seeing them, such beautiful birds.

I saw a little group of deer yesterday sunbathing on the bank of a stream. Unfortunately Tango spotted them before I did so they weren't sunbathing for long :( Thankfully she gave up the chase very quickly and was promptly put back on her lead which was just as well, because they passed back in front of us to get back to their nice sunny spot. Beautiful to see.

It's all starting to happen now. Lots of brimstone butterflies - for me that's the sign that means summer is coming. They are the yellow ones (males) Mrs Brimstones are almost white, but equally big. Tortoiseshells and peacocks all sunning themselves yesterday. All gone under cover again because the sun forgot to come out for the day. :roll:

Saturday our walk was around a farm (no mud or yukky paddling there) and the lambs were being turned out into the fields - little diddy ones. There was a kite hovering over them but decided not to tackle the babies and flew off again. The skylarks are doing their singing bits and yesterday in the garden I was listening to all the buzzing of the bees and the birds singing (except for my chooks who had decided to sunbathe and scrabble in the dirt bath).

I love the first signs of spring, especially when it's been so dark and wet all winter.

We have the first shoots on hedgerows, early Blackthorn blossom, daffs and the usual spring bulbs. There have been lambs in the fields for about 3 weeks now, and we have some due at work soon. The birds are all playing kiss chase, and the catkins are enormous this year.

I just love Spring :D

Everything bursting into life after a wet, miserable Winter.

I saw 3 butterflies on Sunday Mr Brimstone x 2 and a peacock. Have learnt something new though, that Mrs Brimstone is a different colour.

Haven't seen any lambs yet :(

And no sun here at all today.