Alis girls

Another round of applause for the NHS

I do wish I hadnt read Spacechicks thread on knives as I had a run in with one yesterday. My aunt gave me a very sharp ceramic knife at Christmas (if she wants rid of me there are easier ways :lol: ) and I was chopping a butternut squash for mine and OH's nil poins soup (we are on WW) when knife slipped cutting base of left thumb to the bone. :vom: OH and ES rushed to help and I felt so faint I lay down on kitchen floor. Could hear OH saying " but you're a health professional you can cope" all I'm thinking is " I feel like pants". The cat is peering at me as if to say "whats your prob? why are you one the floor"

Long story short end up in WIC Edgware where I am triaged and stitched and told off by lovely nurse who said I should peel butternut squashes with potato peeler and who roared with laughter when I told her how I had done it.

So tabloid press lay off the NHS - it aint all bad - I will be emailing the Daily Wail and local rag to sing the praises of our WIC.

Sorry you hurt your thumb Ali's girls. I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Gosh I always attack butternut squash with sharp knife,will be trying potato peeler from now on.

I always use a potato peeler to peel a butternut squash but have to use a sharp knife to cut it up, so one way or another we are likely to hurt ourselves no matter what we use.

Butternut squash is quite a scary veg to peel. I use a peeler for the skin, but chopping it up I use a sharp knife. I do always worry I will chop something other than it though :( It does have a weird flesh once peeled, almost slippery. Does anyone have a solution to washing that off your hands as well? As no matter how many times I wash, I seem to still have an orange layer!

Sorry! Forgot to say hope your thumb is feeling better now and it heals quickly :D

I cut off the ends and then across the middle. Then I take a sharp knife and peel downwards onto the chopping board and rotate as I go. Then I slice in half and scoop out the seeds. Otherwise it's a chain saw. Haven't had much problem washing it off but sometimes I will just use the washing up liquid. I can't peel parsnips because they stain my hands terribly and it looks like I have a really bad chain smoking habit!

Thanks everyone its been redressed by my colleague and looks ok. Was worried about infection. Have worn a glove on it at work to see pts for their benefit as much as mine. Dont want them complaining about a grubby nurse. Why bandages are white I dont know - they are grey by the end of the day. Apparently you can get ready cut butternut squash. I might pay more and buy that or take OH's garden tool to it that he uses to trim bushes etc. On second thoughts probably not - I might end up amputating a limb :vom: Sorry about the swearing which the mods removed. But it made me feel better :silenced::lol:

When i was a silly 16 year old,i cut my thumb on a corned beef tin....quite severely.However,because i've always had a dislike for doctors etc i decided in my infinite wisdom to repair it myself using a bandage and electrical tape.To say it looked like a crude puppet from a 1970's tv show is an understatement,but it kinda held the blood in for a while.

My parents came home from shopping to a bloodbath in their newly fitted kitchen and eventually managed to track me down at a friends house to where i was then whisked to A&E and stitched up.That was 27 years ago and i still chuckle with how dumb i was when i look at the scar!

Glad you recovered Stevie and lived to tell the tale. Saw my GP today and given horse pill antibiotics - humongous things they are. If no better by Monday I have to go back. Sutures to stay in for 2 extra days. Fed up of it - its sore and I have to wear a marigold for cooking, showering and cant garden. OH does most of the chopping :shock: I suspect my days of using sharp knives are numbered :lol: as the family seem to treat me like a liability. Would be quite happy if I didnt have to cook again.

OK . . . I hate to upset you and use the B word but . . . I bought some butternut squash seeds yesterday.

Glad all is going well. I know you can have multicoloured plaster for breaks - why can't it be that bandages are also multicoloured. They do really good ones in the vets - self clinging ones!

yes I know my son had a choice in bandage colours when he broke his ankle. I would go for pink :D At present its a shade of grey so will change it before I go out tonight. Yesterday the wound was very angry and infected looking - why do teenagers go :vom: " yuuuuck" at everything? Both sons are very interested in its progress.Sadly both are wimps so no budding Drs in the making. I am very frustrated I can't do things. :(

Ouch! Sorry to read you've been in the wars Ali :?

My OH had to go to our local hospital's A&E Dept a few weeks ago and he had excellent treatment and care :clap: however my Mum's just spent Wed-Fri in the same hospital after suffering 2 mini strokes and from start to finish, her experience was diabolical :(

Hope you're fully recovered soon :)

Yup Valkyrie - fifty shades of grey bandage. :lol: The antib's seem to be working - and I think if the sutures arent out tommorrow they will be embedded. Thanks for the good wishes - I want to crack on with the garden and even with a glove or gloves its sore and frankly doesnt stop bugs getting in. So am a tad frustrated. :wall: