Daphne

So how is the season so far?

We struggle too, it only succeeds when we have plenty of rain and a bit of warmth so that it can grow quickly. You need to make sure it is well watered and thin the plants out to 6 inches apart which feels brutal but you will get bigger plants that are less likely to go to seed. Or you could just harvest the young leaves and accept that you don't get big leaves.

I have thinned all my chard really brutally this year in the hope of growing strong plants. In fact I have thinned everything properly this year and weeded everything, it has helped having a few days off work. :D

We ate our first strawberries today which was a nice surprise. :D and had some tasty radishes.

I thought only humans and animals got stressed and now I find my spinach needs medical help too :wink: I will probably leave it as I bet if I move it now it will die. I have managed to grow mushrooms in a £1 kit from World of quid aka Poundland. Cant wait to try them. All I need now is eggs.

More seeds sown and the ones from last week are romping away. Pretty much 100% germination in sweet corn and French beans which is pretty much unheard of :shock:

We have also planted loads of bedding in pots and in gaps in the garden and sown some perennials which will flower next year, lupins, hollyhocks and aquilegia, which hopefully won't all be blue this time, do annoying when you have nurtured the plants for two years. :roll:

Lots of things in the patch now. Just got leeks to prick out and pot up a few tardy peppers. Some seem to be struggling while others are romping into nice green bushy plants. All in all I'm not disappointed with the way things are going - seem to be more in control this year. Have been weeding the paths in between the beds and we have been putting a load of bark chips on top. It's looking much tidier. Along the edge of the veggie beds - which is banked by a dry stone "hedge" (as opposed to wall which is double sided) I've put some aubretia and other little rockery plants. Am making better progress this year. And there are little bumblebees in our wall too - apparently field cuckoo bumblebees. More time wasters - they don't have a big hive yet so waiting for them to go in and out is a big time out for me. Plus they have different launch pads from different stones! :lol:

Seen more hornets this year - happily because they were missing last year. I love those Harley Davidsons of the wasp world.

I'm not growing that much this year (couldn't face the cabbage white onslaught again :roll: ). Got 6 types of courgette just germinating, and 2 mini cucumber plants and 2 tomato plants in my fab new mini greenhouse :D . Also got some salad seeds, not put them in yet. The rhubarb is doing its own thing as usual.

It's proving so useful - overwintering plants, then starting off plug plants etc in the Spring, then growing veg over the summer 8) .

6 types :shock: It will be interesting to hear which come out best for crop speed/yield/taste :D

SJP - I tend to pick them about 5 or 6 inches long and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter. My sun should be a big help for speed but I honestly wonder if it is too strong sometimes, watering is areal issue, and the plants do not go on for as long as they do in the UK, and I am not sure they are as prolific. I have planted these in the shade of a peach tree, so there is competition for water and nutrient.

Any late starters for onions - they are selling seed sown pots to prick out. They looked good too - pretty much the same size as mine (which is good news for me because I thought mine were on the late side). Strawberries will need netting now before the blackbirds nom them while they are still green!

I can't grow Spinach here for some reason, but perpetual spinach takes well. It needs lots of water and I usually plant late July for winter/spring pickings. I forgot to set up the watering system early this year, so it has all run to seed and I pulled everything up today; the chard and P. spinach :wall::cry:

Sweetcorn, squashes, tomatoes and beans were planted out last week and I managed to swap a round courgette plant for a couple of pumpkins 8) They look terrible at the moment but hoping the warm weather will perk them up.

Left the cold frames for 2 days and the ***** slugs have had a field day. Half my 9" cosmos plants gone, 2 courgettes and all the basil. :evil: Zinnias has disappeared too :roll: Weirdly, they left the sunflowers..... :think: Have bought some sheep wool pellets which have protected the dahlias in the past so will sprinkle those EVERYWHERE!

The weeds are going mental at the allotment, so really need to get some membrane down, but will need lots and have already spent a fortune of the raised beds etc. Tempted to get 2 tonnes of bark delivered to the site to put that down?

All looking good though and I now have 4 water butts full! 8):D

We had our first big picking from our strawberry bed today :D

Planted out some more French beans, cabbages, and some sweet corn.

We have flowers on some of the potatoes weirdly the main crop not the earlies.

Have done loads of pricking out and potting on, most things are enjoying the extra warmth.

Had to wage war on the black fly in our broad beans tonight, it seems to have come early this year, we were well into harvesting by the time it hit last year. :(

On a positive note we have tomatoes just starting to turn colour in one of the hanging baskets :D

My earlies don't have flowers either cc! :?

Planted out dahlias, cosmos and courgette plants today. Plus was given 12 climbing French bean plants so make a quick wigwam up and put those in. 8)

More carrots planted, this time between the rows of onions. I must have done a good job weeding, when I planted the onions as not a single weeds has come up in 8 weeks :?:!: Auyumn king carrots have been in for weeks and are doing ok under a fleece tunnel, so put in Amsterdam forcing today.

As the slugs has eaten so many of my squash plants, I put more seeds in 2 weeks ago and now have loads :| 2 types of winter squash and a pattypan summer, so brought those home and will plant them in the back garden where I can keep an eye on them.

planted out my winter leeks, some of my climbing beans, the 3 varieties of runner bean 18 or 20 types of pumpkins squashes marrows and courgettes and 6of the 8 large pot leeks that a mate on the allotment has given me the other 2 I'm going to pot on in to a couple of big buckets to see how big I can get them

All veg planted out except leeks which are now in their root trainers. Picking up nicely and should be getting to pencil thickness in a couple of weeks or at least after our holiday, so timing is good. Been mostly doing weeding and sorting out the flower garden. I'm gradually planting all those flowers that I bought as I have had the "no more plants till those are all in". So obviously a couple more fell into the shopping trolley the other day. :whistle: And they were hastily planted before his lordship noticed! A couple of plants I've dug up and moved to another spot.

Blooming hot out there!!!

I spent hours at the lottie yesterday and today. Mainly weeding and managed to burn my neck today. :roll:

Planted out my leeks, all the sunflowers and the last of my dahlias. A plot holder gave me climbing French beans 8) so they are in too.

Every bed is now full and I still have some curly kale to plant out, but will just keep potting on, until the broad beans come out. Planted some more carrots between the rows of onions, so we'll see if that works.

That is SOOOOO stupid! I don't get those people! I mean, how on earth do they justify this to themselves? :eh:

"it was just standing there so, it must not belong to anyone..."

Someone once stole a potted Peony from my mom... I can still get annoyed about that! :evil:

That's terrible :( Some people are beneath contempt.

I haven't got much to report, it took weeks (about 4) for my lettuces to take hold from their plugs, but now they are growing away and I should think in a fortnight I will have something to eat. The slow growth may be because I planted them around a peach tree. It is absolutely laden, I am guessing we have something approaching 400 fruit :shock:

We harvested 5kg of cherries yesterday, and left the same on the tree - they are large, dark and fleshy and juicy, but not as sweet as previous years, possibly the Spring was cooler than ideal. A neighbour has given us about a kilo of loquats, its the first time I've tasted them. Pleasant but not outstanding would be my verdict.

My 3 courgettes look as though they have taken to being in the ground, but I'm not spying much new growth. The toms and peppers are both flowering despite only being a foot tall. This happened last year. I am going to stake them and start with feeding. I expect they will start to grow up quite soon and will end up looking like normal plants.

The dahlia tubers are starting to show buds. I planted the cosmos/sunflower and zinnia seedlings outdoors in batches 3,2, and 1 week ago, but they are still tiny and pathetic looking. The seeds which have self germinated in the soil from last year are much better looking. Unfortunately I can only recognise the cosmos by its foliage so no doubt I have inadvertantly grubbed the others up.

The basil seeds have germinated like weeds, one batch is slowly growing away in the soil outdoors, the others are hardening off. Anyone any experience with aubergine? I have germinated 4 plants, still in pots, hardening off, but I don't know what to do next :think:

Someone has stolen my potted apple tree from the allotment :evil: I am so furious :evil:

sadly I can believe it and unfortunately it's probably a fellow plot holder

I've been a plot holder for over 10 years and served on 2 allotment committees for at least 6 years for most of that time as either chairman or secretary

Well, 2 plot holders have had their cabbages eaten by something. I'm thinking rabbits, but the whole field had chicken wire buried 3 foot down on the perimeter, so who knows?

My squash plants and courgettes look small and pathetic, but there is still time. Planted a couple of winter squashes in my garden so I can keep a closer eye on them.....

Sorry about your apple tree SC :cry: