coco

A level results tomorrow

She got 6 A's at As level :dance: And looks like her UMS is high enough not to need retakes. All means she should stand a very good chance of getting A*s next year in her A2's and getting the uni of her choice :D:D:D She had her photo taken for the local paper and a letter from her head of school and 6th form :D I am so proud I could burst.

Edited to add, she is one of 5 in her year to get 6 As!!! *bang* :lol:

Edited by Guest

ES got 2 A's and 1 A* so got in at Bristol which was first choice. First in my family to go to uni. My husbands family all went to uni being Cyrpiots - OH sniffly said my family were more apprentice types and working class. I am too proud to care. I had a horrible dream about a man with extra body bits I was so stressed and my friend said their toilet was on overtime. :lol:

Nurses hat on here - please dont forget to check your 18 year old has had Meningitis C booster injection before going to uni. Many didnt get on the teenage booster round as it was only introduced last year into immunisation regime. Your GP should offer it.

Well done to all.

Good thinking Ali, my YD had it but DS wasn't offered it, eek only got three weeks to sort this stuff out.

Which halls is your DS going into at Bristol?

My DS got A * in the subject that he thought might let him down! just shows how well they can judge these things :roll: and two A's as well as a B in Critical thinking and and A in his EPQ. He is so happy. He is off to St Andrews to be with his lovely American girlfriend, their original wish was just to be in the same time zone, now they will be in the same uni. :D

Congratulations to everyone.

My daughter is also off to St Andrews to do Maths but because she managed to get 4A*'s she's able to go directly into 2nd year. I am so so proud of her.

I am also thinking how am I going to get everything done in 3 weeks, what accommodation is your son hoping for in St Andrews chickencam?

Not sure on accomodation yet but will post when I know.

One of his mates wasnt offered anything and is really low. Hes going to look at apprentreships - I do feel for anyone who didnt get their grades. He was very low. Hopefully he will find something. Uni isnt for everyone. OH dropped out as his mum was dying of cancer and his dad mentally ill. He got a job. Occ moments of regret.

Thoughts with those who didnt get all they wanted. xx

Congratulations to all. It sounds like there are some fantastic results out there :clap: I am so relieved not to be going through it again :) With 3 children we had some joyful and some distraught exam result days but all 3 are happy and doing well now. Incase there is anyone out there who hasn't got the results they needed- things do work out and sometimes in a round about way your career path may turn out far better than imagined.

I have GCSE results next week too :anxious: Having children 2 years apart is stressful at exam time. This year we have had 2nd year medicine, A levels and GCSEs. It's my own fault :lol:

I've got this next year :roll: 3 children 14 months apart! So next year ED has A2s, DS has his final GCSE's and possibly his first A level as they do them a year earlier and I don't think YDs school do any exams early *phew*

Niece doing AS levels did not do as well as hoped, mainly because she was so ill when she took her exams :(

Key concern at the moment is that she is very upset but, looking ahead, I'm not sure yet what the implications are. I know AS levels count towards the the final A level grade, which may mean she cannot achieve the grades she needs to go to her choice of university (she wants to read maths) no matter how well she does next year. It's too early yet for her to sensibly talk about considering other universities or other courses.

She's not academically gifted and is a very hard worker, and it's the first time she's ever not achieved something she's really worked for, so she's absolutely devastated :cry: . As adults, we know life goes on, but at 17 and with all her friends having done really well, she feels like everything is over. "It's just a big black hole" is what she keeps wailing at her mother.

All of the advice for A level students going through clearing, was that they needed to talk to universities themselves and not get their parents to do it, and they needed to do it immediately. When they've just had all their dreams shattered, that does seem very hard and one can only wish them well if they're in that situation. At least my niece has time to come to terms with things and decide what her best options are.

I know enough not to tell my niece it's not the end of the world (I would like to continue living!), but anything those of you that have been here can suggest I can usefully do to support her and help her? We're at opposite ends of the country, so all supportive hugs are virtual :)

Niece doing AS levels did not do as well as hoped, mainly because she was so ill when she took her exams :(

Don't despair. Some schools don't do AS levels at all and unis do take notice of predicted grades as well as AS grades. If she had studied hard it might be an idea to look at whether she had done enough past papers etc in case it was a case of not applying her knowledge effectively. She may be able to retake some elements alongside her A levels next year. Some chidren work 'hard' but not 'smart', check how she is working and whether is suits her personality. Each person retains things differently. My son can sit and read the book and that is him done. My daughter needs to draw pictures and make posters - all done while watching a DVD! Quite bizzare but it works for her. She remembers bit she is studying and relates in to the part in the DVD - weird I know but it works for her. Don't be too disheartened with the results, if she hadn't done AS levels you would be none the wiser until A levels. She now has the opportunity to reevaluate things :)

As far as I am aware they have now done away with the January resits for AS, if they want to resit they have to do so alongside their A 2 exams in the summer. A few of my sons's friends did this and it gave them a tough exam season, many of then didn't really improve their mark, but did well on their A2's and got good overall grades. She will struggle with offers with lower AS marks but the school write a reference as part of the application in which they may well point out that she under achieved owing to illness.

She could either resit the year which some people do, or she could apply as normal for uni and then if her grades at A 2 are better than her offers she could go into adjustment on results day which can get you better places. She shouldn't panic, she will not be alone, it is a big change from GCSE to A level, I have known several youngsters who started from this point and went on to get the places that they wanted at uni.

Massive well done to everyone who's done well. I really hope you all are happy. I confess that I haven't yet looked through all of this thread but I will do now. I just want to say that if your kids haven't done so well or didn't even take A levels, as is the case with ES and MS, the world is still their oyster. Both boys had big dreams, it takes longer and is harder work but exciting lives are still achievable. ES is embarking on an Avalanche course and will qualify as a Mountain guide in Japan. MS is getting it together in HGV and his aim is eventually to move to Canada or maybe USA. Both were hopeless at traditional exams but loved learning. Both are happy, fulfilled young men. So, basically, if it's not what you were hoping, just hang on in there, and parents - be patient.