Ain't Nobody Here

Best introductions yet!

Hope I'm not speaking too soon but this has been the easiest yet 8) .

Introduced 3 new to 3 old - perhaps there is something in numbers after all? Newbies spent 2 weeks in an Omlet run/eglu inside the oldies' freerange area. Now allowed out together (but still sleeping separately) and no problems at all (newbies even tried to go to bed in the oldies eglu :lol: ).

And they all started laying within the first week 8) .

14971710830_32efb09c9e.jpg

Oh that's such good news, I am getting some ex commercial girls when I do our next rehoming in October, am a tad worried about the old girls, they are getting on and I don't want to stress them out, I plan to separate an area in my enclosure and keep the newbies within sight of the oldies, but out of reach....then slowly, maybe after a few weeks let them freerange together.

I have to purchase a spare coop, I am looking for a classic, but I am loathed to spend a lot as I have three girls in a massive cube at the moment so hope the girls will end up all together. :pray:

Thanks everyone :D . It's such a relief having them all get on. It's just bedtime that's a bit of a pantomime some nights - there's always one newbie who fails to find her way to bed :wall: .

Did the white one lay brown eggs?

They all lay light brown eggs, one slightly pinker than the others. It's hard to tell who's laid what but after going last time for green & white layers who hardly lay at all now, I'm just happy to have eggs :roll: .

Gavclojac, can you try and rig up a run within your run for the newbies. That's what I've done with my growers. Ive used a covered cat litter tray for bed time. You don't want to waste money if they're all going to end up in the cube together

That's interesting, I really didn't want to buy another coop to be honest,even renting a classic works out at £60 for four weeks! As you said, it seems silly when they wil all end up together

I just worry about the cold, it will be October and they will, in all likelyhood be featherless!!

I was thinking maybe a second hand rabbit hutch but am worried about red mite

I have a small plastic dog kennel which I brought on line for £30. came flat packed and slotted together in seconds.

We brought this as it can pull apart and be cleaned. My OH added our own little door made of plastic.,

It was then kept inside the run .The only problem is it is not at the moment used for newbies but they all use it as their fave nest box.If I get new Newbies I will need another dog kennel. :lol:

My friend also borrowed it when she was trying to get rid of red mite in her wooden coup.As she has bantams it was perfect.

Jackie x

I just worry about the cold, it will be October and they will, in all likelyhood be featherless!!

I insulated the Pekins cat box (totally unnecessarily as it was June :doh: ) by wrapping thick corrugated cardboard around most of it and then covering with plastic bags to make it waterproof - all secured with gaffer tape. That might work for you Gavclojak.

Nothing so fancy :lol: . Just an Amber Link, a Nero and an Isa Brown! They are lovely though and fairly happy to be handled (if I'm quick enough :wink: ).

As they're all getting on so well, I've put the 2nd eglu into the WIR - they were all a bit bemused so I had to post 6 chickens into them (then realised one newbie was in with the oldies so thought I'd better move her). They've ended up in the wrong eglus but I don't suppose it'll do any harm. Might help them get used to each others' scent!

14983964058_7d7893a540.jpg