chuckmum6

Kindle

I am thinking of getting a kindle, but would like some advice. I have an iPad that I currently use to read iBooks with, I am after something lighter, as I often bump myself on the face, as tend to nod off when I read. I also like to read at night, so would like one that has a dimmer, to allow me to read in the dark, but it mustn't cast a glow that would disturb OH. Any ideas which one I should go for?

My OH has a Kobo Glo because he likes to read at night, he is a chronic insomniac. :roll: I hate noise or light when I am trying to sleep and find the light glow of his Kobo is ok, better than his snoring any how :lol:

As far as I am aware though Kindle do more cheap and free books than Kobo do, but that might a grass is always greener comment.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and it is perfect for what you describe - it has a "dimmer switch" which means you can read in the dark without disturbing your bedmate. I can highly recommend it 8) .

Ditto, ES gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago and it is a fabulous device with a really long battery life too. Love it!

I had a Kindle Fire HD but I gave it to one of my children as I never used it for anything but reading, and I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, which I am totally in love with. If you turn the wifi off between downloads, it really does keep its charge for weeks at a time, and you really can read it in bright sunlight. Plus, it is as light as a feather, even in a case.

I am interested to read this thread as I am considering asking for a paperwhite for my birthday.

I have an original kindle which I no longer use. I have lost my love of reading and would like to get it back. I used to read in bed but dont any more as the lighting isnt good in my room and I now need glasses to read which I find uncomfortable in bed. My thoughts are that the paperwhite would solve both these issues as I can make the type bigger and the light on the device is said to be good. Am I right?

If so just need to deal with my disquiet mind which DH says is the cause of me stopping reading :? Dont think the kindle will help with that!

I love,love,love my Kindle Paperwhite, & would not be without it.

It is light, easy to read,looks great & the night-time reading option is fantastic, as I often wake in the early hours & use it to nod back off.

The only downside I have found is that its easier to have a book to hand to whack spiders with!