patsylabrador

embracing the grey

I had dyed my very dark thin, fine hair from being a teenager, but it was costly to keep it up when I had a pixie cut and had to do it every 4 weeks (and only used the tiniest amount of the bottle :roll: ). I decided to see what my natural colour was and have become quite fond of my platinum highlights, which are mainly from the temples to the ears.

If I look in the mirror, there's now plenty of grey coming through elsewhere too. I probably won't like the salt and pepper stage too much and will move swiftly to the full silver with chemical help when the time's right. I quite like my grey and have definitely embraced it :D

I really want to let my white (not grey definitely white) come through but currently I dye it mousey brown, my natural colour is dark brown but been dying it red since my mid 20s, so I decided to go back to brown.

The problem is growing out all the dark, I don't want to have it cut short and can't bear it being half and so I still keep dying it. Plus I think 47 is a little young to be sporting a full head of white hair. I don't want to go blond as Mum and my aunt have done that and it looks ghastly on them.

Such a blithering nuisance though having to keep dying it, it needs doing every 4 weeks so do it at home.

Such a blithering nuisance though having to keep dying it, it needs doing every 4 weeks so do it at home.

Isn't it just :roll: I envy those confident enough to embrace the grey. And being naturally clumsy I get my hairdresser to sort my hair as my attempts to do it at home led to brown patches all over the bathroom. I was sure I hadn't made a mess but then the dye developed :shock: . Fortunately it was before I had a nice bathroom so I lived with the bathroom blotches for a while but now I have a nice bathroom I'm not going to risk wreaking and a very reasonably priced hairdresser who comes to my house.

How do other people do their own hair and not get the dye all over the place ?

I used lots of old towels laid out everywhere like a painter and decorator uses dust sheets! Even so, the bathroom did look like a dirty protest sometimes.

Mrs B, I've been googling the subject quite a lot and apparently you can have lowlights to break up and camouflage the blocks of different colour. I think that would look quite pretty. I think a hairdresser would have to do that, I wouldn't know where to start.

I must admit, that I too am in this position. I cannot remember my hair being its natural colour (dull mousy brown) as it was highlighted in my 30s and has been red during my 40s.

My kind OH hennas it about every 6 weeks with Lush and I must admit, it takes years off my age and I get a lot of complements on the colour, but whenever I see the grey parting growing though, I wonder about going "natural". (Even writing this I am talking myself out of it !)

Problem is, like so many of you, white would probably look great, but mousy grey certainly not and I don't know how to do any kind of halfway house with henna without risking green hair. Having taken 2 and a half years to grow out a fringe to a long bob which I love, I cannot face a major cut.

Thing I'll stay in the "holding back the years" camp for a few more years yet.

I like that article, it's one of the ones that really set my mind going about my hair colour.

Yvonne, one of the things I read is that because Lush henna contains other lovely conditioners it isn't as dead set permanent as other dyes and hennas and will fade to a certain degree. I think I'm about six weeks with no dye and I can see quite a lot of grey but it's blending in quite nicely and no harsh line. Maybe that is true about the Lush henna and it becomes less of a contrast, mine is certainly faded quite a bit. I think i'll have to be patient for all the red to grow out but it's not too bad so far.

My face used to look pale in contrast when it was newly henna'd but I think it suits this softer tone.

I don't think I could go blonde, I don't think I would be a very inspiring blonde!

Very interesting article Charlottechicken.

Patsylabrador, I have been using Lush henna every 6 weeks for about 9 years, so whilst a few go's may not be permanent, mine seems pretty well fixed and the line that grows out is very obvious. Good luck with growing out yours though, do keep us posted with pics if you dare !

Thanks.

Every 6 weeks for nine years! I have to psyche myself to do it a second time in a year! I find it quite hard to apply myself, though last time I did it I made it a lot more watery which helped with application. I am not sure about henna from Lush now, but when I did it back in the late 80s I had the henna and natural hair colour tide line. To think ladies nowadays pay lots of money to have an ombré hair dye, where, if you time it right, you can have it for free once you've outgrown your old hair colour :wink: Only joking btw.

I had my hair cut today. Normally when I have it done, I can see a good inch of regrowth and it looks much more obvious under their lights. Today, however, I was marvelling at how auburn all my hair was! Not ready to go grey yet I think :D The article was great though. Love their hair colour. Oh, how wonderful to go snowy white :D It didn't occur to me about it going yellow through sunlight though :think: Is that what a purple rinse was originally used for?

Hmm not sure about these. To me they look a little self conscious :think:

I ditched the dye in the spring and am by now totally light grey with some white and I'm rather enjoying it. I've found I can suddenly wear all sorts of colours that I used to look terrible in. From being someone who looked best in pale pink or pale blue, I've suddenly found I can wear yellows and purples :shock: . This has totally surprised me as I was expecting to only look decent in pale grey :D

It's not the colour that bothers me - it's the wave on one side and flat on the other and the grey ones are curlier still!

Mum's hair was like Lily Munster's (or Dickie Davies) and it gradually blended in over the top, leaving an inch of black at the back. Her hair was natural black and it looked like she had a very badly placed grey wig on her head. She's 86 this week and still has a few black hairs at the back!

Dad went grey gradually but his was a softer grey and he almost looked like he had blonde highlights. I liked his hair - he had quite sandy coloured hair in between.

Mine seems to be a bit of everything. Not worried about the grey. I have always called them platinum highlights.

DS has had a patch of grey over his temples since he was a baby - I think that was the forceps that did the damage. Really co"Ooops, word censored!" white ones. He did do the black dye (as it appears so did my white tiles and grout in the bathroom). My daughter also did black dye (as well as pretty much every colour of the rainbow - and bleach). Both are now back to their normal colours. He likes his grey patch now - it is a talking point with the girls. :roll: Her biggest issue is her hair is lovely and wavy and she likes it dead straight.

Sorry not convinced its right for me - i was on tube today so many women with coloured hair - Chinese girl opposite had 3 shades of blue in hers, another a bright head of pink. It is very different colouring to the colours we had in punk era. The hair looks well conditioned and shiney despite the colours. Not sure at 52 I could carry off blue :shock: Asked my hairdresser a British born Sicilean for pink streaks in my blond locks. She fixed me a beady eyed look and told me I had a midlife crisis. Settled for red and blond highlights - however the bleach used turned the red a pinky colour and everyone said how funky it looked so I got my wish. I go "pink " during winter (for Christmas) :lol: I thought of you Patsy with your multicoloured locks when I saw these women with their multicoloured hair.

I would love a touch of a funky colour in my hair - am thinking Kate from Bake Off, as her hair is similar to mine,rather than Kelly Osbourne - but work would throw a tantrum :roll:

There is a sea green shade called seapunk by Bleach London which I lust after. It only lasts 6 washes, so maybe next time I have a couple of weeks off I might dip a few tendrils in that!

My eldest daughter is bleachy blonde (she was blonde anyway, just not quite this blonde), & has an icy blue in hers at the moment, which looks great :)

Luckily for her she works in a funky vintage clothes shop who encourage this sort of thing :lol:

I would love a touch of a funky colour in my hair - am thinking Kate from Bake Off,

When DD and I watched her DD said I should do my hair like that but purple.

I have been grey for years my mum was grey by 20 my dark dark brown lasted a bit longer than that.

I am a bit scared of dying it as when I was younger a friend and I both went for some red, a temporary thing but friends was gone in a few weeks mine stayed for months and each time I went home my dad said have you done your hair AGAIN. :D

Chrissie

Getting there. About 2/3rds grey and I love it. I've kept my usual casual knot style but changed the front which is sort of stand uppy, I don't really know how else to describe it. Some days when it works it looks quite WW2 but mostly it doesn't. I love the feeling it gives me, like this is my age, this is my hair colour, if you don't like it - too bad.

The colour suits me better than when I dyed my hair and I feel more confident than when I worried about roots. It doesn't make me feel old or grandmotherly or anything like that. :)

I don't think I will ever dye it again.

I stopped the dye about 6 months ago but I have not found it all plain sailing. :anxious: I've found that hair dressers, even the one I've had since I was in my 30s, suddenly stopped listening to how I want my hair to be cut and do their utmost to give me a sort of short back and sides :( I even had one hair dresser who was clearly older than me asking me if I still worked (I'm 55 so have 10 years to go yet) and then when I said I did, she said 'how sad it is that you've gone grey so early' :shock:

I've also had a young man in his mid 20s refer to me as ' hey,old biddy' :oops:

And last but not least, I've been asked if I am my 45 year old friend's mother :shock:

On the plus side though, I've certainly found that all those bright colours that used not to suit me like purple and yellow seem, to my surprise, to go quite well with my hair and skin now. :D

I am experiencing the total opposite. For years I have died my hair every colour under the sun. I am desperate for it to go grey so I can have it silver or even a bright pink or purple without having to have the colour bleached first. I am 58 and still haven't got any grey. I wear my hair quite short too in a pixie cut and despite having it cut every few weeks there is no grey at all . All my female relatives on my mums side went a lovely silver grey and I expected that by now I would have had some but no. :(

My son has a little patch of grey just above his ear. He has had it ever since he was a baby. I'm wondering if it was forceps that did the damage. I mentioned it to the doc when he was about 2 and she said nonsense it's just a little more blonde than the rest of his hair (his hair colour then was the same shade as my wedding ring). I still knew it wasn't - it was quite co"Ooops, word censored!". He hated it when he was at school, but he rather likes it now.