patsylabrador

embracing the grey

I've seen tons of ladies walking around with beautiful grey hair in all sorts of styles and have decided that's the way forward. I'm so fed up with dying and I'm not sure that it suits me anymore, I think my skin tone has changed.

So I'm growing out all the various colours of henna, blue, green and cerise. Sounds horrendous but I've enjoyed all the silly colours. I wear my hair in a french plait mostly but I like various knots and the colours weave quite nicely. Now I'm adding grey to the mix.

I'm about three inches grey and the henna is fading quite obligingly. It's Lush henna which apparently fades quicker. I quite like the tone of grey I see and thought when it's ready and if I like it, I could dye the ends silver which MIGHT look nice in my plait.

If I don't like it I guess I can dye it a more gentle colour which compliments the grey and me.

What do you think?

I don't think cutting it short is an option that would definitely make me unhappy. When I grow up i'll wear my hair in a classy bun like a french pleat.

I have quite thick curly hair and decided not to go down the dying route, partly due to vanity and partly the cost of keeping the roots done :lol: OH calls me Dickie Davis as I have a rather grey frontage but I am at the stage of not really bothering and deciding to celebrate who I am (50 on 13th Oct and ambivalent) ageing is non negotiable really so I have decided to go with it!

I have wondered about what to do with my hair when it starts becoming noticeably grey. I've only been to a hairdresser once in my life and have no idea how to dye it either! I was thinking of just going with the flow and letting it change colour on its own. My hair is also quite long so I think I have to make sure it doesn't look like a classic witches barnet :lol:

Funny that you mention skin tone, someone once told me that your skin tone changes with age to complement the change of hair colour.

Silver tips to your hair sounds great, sort of mature ombre style 8)

I started pulling out grey hairs at 13. And so I have certainly embraced the grey. I am very lucky because it is grey all over. I couldn't cope with it at pepper and salt stage and did colour it then. I think I'm probably happier with my hair now than I was in my twenties and thirties! And no don't feel you have to cut it short. I'm envious of those lucky people with the right head shape and hair texture to have their hair very short but I just look like a hedgehog or worse still one of my elderly aunts with mine shorter so I keep it at least shoulder length

I do dye my hair.I had been trying to go a shade or two lighter than my original brunette,to tone with skin.As you say it changes too.I have periodically thought of going grey but tend to chicken out.I just changed my hairdresser and said do what you think will suit me.She cut it drastically short and dyed it darker,back to my original colour which I certainly felt in the past was much too dark.Upshot is everyone loves it.Most comment it makes me look 10 years younger,which is definately what I want to hear.It is of course a very personal decision and I for one want to look as young as possible for as long as possible.Without looking like mutton dressed as lamb.

Sorry the 50 shades of grey hair colour aint for me. For a start I frizz so I look like a witch so I'm afraid I will dye/die blond as I was born blond. On my death bed my nearest and dearest will be discussing the fact i was a vain old bat. Patsy your hair sounds intriguing all those different colours. I used spray in dye in my youth as weird colours were banned on the wards. Pink and blue were my favourites. I have seen some fantastic grey on some women - a school mum had lovely white bob and when she had her immaculate make up on she looked gorgeus. I on the other hand seem to look like I've mislaid my cauldron. Good luck ladies - just aint for me.

This is where I love my blond hair. I hated it when I was a teenager because it was so flat and thin and fine in the eighties when big hair was everything. Now I love it, my hairdresser commented last time she cut it, that she was yet to find a grey hair. I am 47 and I now love my hair colour.

I do love grey hair too, like Chetna on Bake Off, her hair is beautiful. I am not a fan of dyed hair.

I am fighting the grey with all my might :lol: I will embrace it when there is more grey than actual colour, but my hair is a fairly mousey brown and a bit wishy washy. I dye it various shades of auburn and it seems to suit my skin tone. When it isn't dyed, I looked washed out, especially with the grey at my temples and on top. I would love to have a full head of proper silver grey hair though, but I fear I may end up with various badger stripes :roll::lol:

Working in technology I'm now often one of the oldest in the office ( :shock: was a shock first time I realised) so I daren't ditch the hair dye. It's bad enough fighting the inbuilt belief by some young men that women can't possibly know more about technology than they do, I need to not look like I could be their mum!

I can't work out where all the old men have gone :lol:

Blond till the day i dye. I am put off being grey when I see a woman I know. She is proud she doesnt dye her hair but it is very unbecoming as because of the style it makes her look like a spaniel. :shock: The top is lighter grey than sides and even OH who isnt renowned for powers of observation said " what has G done to her hair?". To which I replied "absolutely nothing". I will be lined, saggy n blond. :lol:

I've got myself some silver dye which I think i'll play around with on Sunday. Quite excited to see what it looks like. I will just do the ends so my hair will look a bit of a weird hair sandwich.

I'm finding it strangely liberating. Before I would feel a bit panicky about my grey roots and think bad thoughts about how I look. I was having to treat my hair every two/three weeks to maintain the colour. The indigo fades quite quickly.

I do a hot oil treatment every two weeks because that replaces the benefits of henna and have plans to use blue shampoo when the time is right. I don't go to hairdressers either and cut in my own layers because I know my hair best.

I think! :lol:

At the moment I'm liking it and feel more confident strangely.

My hair is currently dyed to the same colour it used to be before I started going grey; I don't feel old enough to be grey yet.

My mother went grey really young, and has always had a good head of beautiful pure white hair, which looks really lovely against her olive skin. I started going grey about 20 years ago, but it's not as comprehensive as hers, so the current plan is to wait until it's completely white, then have is shaved off for charity and grow the grey through.... having said that, I may just keep dying it :think:

I have blonde highlights and so far they are fairly successfully concealing the grey, I get them topped up every six months but they don't really show roots like an all-over dye. My family have all gone grey very early, and not just grey but pure silver white. When I get to the right age for white hair I'll embrace it fully - but I'm not there yet! :lol:

Having wished most of my life that I didn't have bushy hair, now I'm quite pleased as the grey isn't that obvious! I have a strange patch of sp"Ooops, word censored!" grey hair on one side of my head which isn't that visible and no grey roots so for the moment so I'm doing nothing. It may well get worse but I've no idea how I'll deal with that!

If you want to get rid of some hair colour, you should wash your hair with Head and Shoulders. That's what hairdressers here advice when a colouring went bad. Apparently it lightens up your hair very quickly. Also some brand have special shampoo for blond people. Those will also lighten your coloured hair.

My mom is quite grey, but I colour her hair once in a while. She orders the paint and peroxide on a hairdressers website and saves quite some money that way.

I would quite like to go properly grey I think - nicely silver rather than steely. I just have a few silver hairs on one temple at the moment - not bad for 48. The Husband is a year younger than me & he is properly grey now - I like it :)

I would love a proper mallen streak.

I think grey looks better if you have olive skin or are asian or afrocarribean. Chetna on bake off was stunning. mallen streak - its not a mallen streak but the Boots ad before the latest had a woman with dark hair with a grey stripe at the front. She was stunning esp with the re lippie another thing as a pale British woman I can't wear as I look tarty. :evil: Talking of make up ES who's at uni has really gone off girls who wear a lot of slap. Hes worried he'll get it on his clothes if they er cuddle - made me laugh. I supose natural is better but Mother Nature needs a bit of help occasionally. :D