Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

Thats lovely! Im sure the new baby will love it :D

I made this for my new nephew born in Nov last year. He is over in Chicago so I haven't been able to hug him yet, but this was hugged by his grandma, aunts and cousins so hopefully he will feel the love from it. Pattern by Lalylala off Etsy.

IMG_5371_zpsminr1uuh.jpg

I also made a mermaid blanket for my niece for Christmas. Pattern from Crochet Crowd, but with a different yarn so I had to adapt it a bit, especially the tail.

IMG_5448_zpsyjxgf40y.jpg

Lovely crochet - those soft toys are gorgeous and I love the colours on the mermaid tail.

These are two I made for a friend to give to her granddaughters at Christmas. I really wish I hadn't shown the picture to another friend as she'd now like one for her daughter ... it's not a difficult pattern but I'm fed up with mermaids!

F020F60C-1409-44D4-BD78-41810B9DBE83_zpsjkdrsmm2.jpg

Yes, Im not sure I want to make another one. Are yours knitted? I love the stitch on the body. I am determined to finish my pair of socks I started a little while ago. I think I want to try some small circulars as the long ones I have drive me bonkers and I am too much of a novice to use dpns as the stitches keep sliding off :cry: I have read that plastic or bamboo ones might be better for me as they have a bit more grip and less slippage.

Yes, knitted - I got the pattern off Ravelry. The body was knitted on a circular needle using three strands of wool at once, and then the tail was knitted flat.

I use DPNs a lot, and I'd recommend bamboo. I can't use circular needles for small stuff, I've tried the 'magic loop' method and don't like it. I bought a set of Knitpro bamboo DPNs a couple of years ago and they're brilliant.

Awww love the animals and the tails. So cute.

Here I'm still sewing. Have finally started cutting the pieces to that chicken kit I bought from Craftsy last year? Also have frogged DD's star quilt because I muddled the blocks up so unsashed, readjusted and sewn as it was. She's given me the thumbs up sign for a couple of little things I wasn't sure about, so all good to go ahead and finish.

Also doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt 2016 - a little behind with it but she did the reveal today so I can plod on with that too.

Meanwhile DD's hand pieced quilt is still lying around impatiently - it glares at me every time I walk past it because I thought if I keep it out then I'll have to do something about it. :oops:

I have a very short attention span hence all sorts on the go. I still have one ready to quilt and another top ready to pin for quilting. I may have a few finishes this year instead of just 1 or 0!!!

Confession - I didn't make, but my mum did - some wrist warmers. Anyone wanting a quick and easy knitting thing then these are great. I did turn my nose up at first but I've used them in the garden when I've been sorting the birds out and my goodness I'm glad I had them on! Can still pick things up and then I scrunch them over my fingers when I've done.

Wow - that must have taken ages

I can see what a great match it is for the rest of the room, but it would look stunning anywhere. Can I ask - your comment under the picture mentions using acrylic paint on the walls - are those sunbursts stencilled on?

Yes, we bought stencil sheeting and I borrowed a hot gun thingy to cut the shapes out from my arty friend and neighbour - almost like a soldering iron. I hand drew the splatter star shapes on to the sheeting and made them in 3 different sizes. The wall was painted with washable whatever Trade Dulux white and we played with dabbing paint brushes onto the wall randomly. DD chose the paints as close to the fabric as she could. Her carpet is turquoise. The rest of the room is a right old mess where she is pretty much moving out (well has done really) and took one of her sets of drawers with her, leaving half the contents on the floor along with whatever was on the top. :roll: I also spy a One Direction picture in the corner. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: As she chose the fabric I made curtains and being the fabricoholic that I am, I ordered mucho metres! Curtains are backed with blackout lining.

Did I ever mention that the Disney Channel awarded her with the "Messiest Bedroom in Europe" many moons ago? We thought yay - someone to come and help her tidy up and tell her off, but no, she had so many goodies it was pretty much rewarding her for being so naughty! It didn't help her to feel ashamed of herself! Quite the opposite! Although sometimes she did get a bee in her bonnet and do a good sweep through including vacuuming!!! Her room, shut the door and don't go there!!!!

And thank you. Actually once I started it, I had a bit of a headache doing it a different way to the book, but got there in the end. I think the book didn't leave much room for trimming so lots of issues with the points. Finally got to grips with it and it didn't really take long at all. There was a bit of a hiatus when the boy returned home and reclaimed his room, but most of it was done, just added another row before Christmas and recently did the rest of the sashing.

This is a fun site. Sew Fresh Quilts. Canadian lady, such lovely animals and fun things - so I've caught up with the 2 Christmas blocks so far.

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/203717583125580119/

I was going to do the solstice one but I'm not too keen on some of the blocks, so now I think I'll be doing a Civil War one instead by Barbara Brackman. A good way to break into that stash, plus I rather love the old fashioned blocks:

http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/westering-women-links-to-bom-quilt.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+CivilWarQuilts+(Civil+War+Quilts)

Oooh thank you Blacky - that's very kind - but then I'm nowhere near Pimmsy Plum! Still learning here - and I see nothing to see why you'd mark yourself down - that's a beautiful quilt. I love the Civil War quilts too - although there are so many blues they are warm blues and the quilts always look cosy to me.

Remember there isn't a wrong way or a right way - just a different way when doing quilts. We are all at different stages. I've been playing on DD's quilt and adding more borders - from the start of it the triangles do not meet or are the wrong size, the ones I've done recently are better - it's just practice I guess - the more you do, the easier it gets and you think why the heck didn't I do it right before (notice I said I did it wrong - dang I meant different! LOL)

I was reading a blog the other week and the lady had her quilt in a show - then she read the remarks "seams incorrect" - she irons the seams open to reduce bulk for quilting - there is nothing to say that people can't do it, it's a personal preference thing - but the quilt police wanted them ironed in one direction. Very silly really - in my opinion. Anyway her quilts are lovely!

Oi!! my ears are burning :lol::lol:

Love your quilt Blacky and the secondary patterns that it makes. You should be proud.

I've not done so much quilting but I'm still doing a sew a row with The Quilt Show forum friends and I'll post a pic of the fabulous rows I've received on the theme of Chickens, birds etc. It's been going on over a year now we're supposed to send someone a row every month but we're all behind. I've had them from Switzerland , America, Canada UK. It's so exciting finding a package on your mat unexpectedly. Nearly as good as the Omlet crafty swaps.

I'm doing watercolour painting for the last year which is fun and I like trying all sorts of subjects and Chickens of course. Fun trying but doesn't always work out it's a hard medium. Love to paint like that artist you posted about on FB one time Koojie. Does anyone else here paint? I can't remember having a thread on it.

Yes and rubbish at Blogging must be 9 month since I posted but will do as I'm starting a quilting group locally with a couple of friends. Can any of you travel to Belper once a month :dance::dance:

Love seeing what everybody posts and makes but because I usually read posts on my phone I can't answer. I don't get notifications very often not sure why. PMs come through ok. Perhaps we've overloaded the forum in the past.

Show us what you're all up to :D:D:D