Christian

What have you all been making...part two...

Love the sock wool and you are doing well with knitting them - I cannot do socks. Cant wear wool on my feet either as itchy - same as round my neck.

Plum the fabric is from the African fabric shop - I bought it ages ago - its just cotton and that was basically the whole bit less about 6 inches longer. The pattern was Pat Archibald, bought at Glasgow in March, and I had great fun with the foils cutting out the fusable and the elephant and sun - I have never done applique before. Just to finish quilting and then complete it some wet weekend.

Beautiful elephant - now that's something my mum would love (elephants are her thing along with owls). And the background is gorgeous. :clap:

And congrats with the socks. I gather alpaca wool is softer and not as itchy but I haven't done that test yet - just never wear socks. I just remember years of knitted woollen vests in winter and scratching myself silly! Not quite that bad now - perhaps the wool is less so. I remember my brother wearing a jumper with his arms outstretched because of the itch - he walked like Frankenstein's monster! :lol:

Had to look up Kitchener stitch. Very cool. :clap:

Still doing Christmas blocks. It's nice to have "s"Ooops, word censored!"py" blocks. Some seem to work better than others but in the bigger picture I'm sure they'll be OK. Looks like I have to do at least 2 of everything anyway so I'll be able to use the same fabrics elswhere and change the ones for the blocks I don't care for. So far only one of those that I'm not fond of.

Sitting here working on "Lawyer's Puzzle" and blooming thing - one corner the wrong way round. Meh. It's now the right way round. Puzzle - yep. It's almost like a bear's paw. I love bear's paw quilts - that is definitely on my list of ones to do.

Was reading a blog regarding history on quilts and log cabins were called Egyptian quilts or mummy quilts in England, possibly because of the weaving patterns which can be seen on the mummified cats in the British Museum. Called something different in Canada though.

My mom has made me something awesome!

I'm now the proud owner of a Crochet-on-the-go bag!

It's like a little sling bag that you hang around your arm and keep your yarn in. So you could actually crochet on the go. But I thought it would be perfect for on the couch too, to keep the cat hair away! :D:wink:

How lovely :D

I've seen similar ones on Instagram and been thinking about making one for myself.

My cats chew the yarn when I'm crocheting. They seem to think they are helping with tension... so helpful.

It's really unpleasant to suddenly come across a soggy stretch of wool :vom::roll:

One of these might solve the problem!

I have that soggy wool problem, too! :vom:

I'm knitting something quite large at the moment so a bag like that wouldn't be much good. I bet it would hold enough for a sock though. I usually keep my current project in a drawstring 'Dorothy' bag thing, but I like the idea that you can keep that on your wrist.

Its a lovely thing your mum has made you, and something I've been thinking making myself to carry my sock knitting around with me :D

Personally, I don't think €20 is too much for something like that. Its handmade, and you're not just paying for the materials, you are also paying for the expertise and time of someone. Its fair enough if you can make the same thing yourself, but not everyone is a sewer.

The cost of handmade items is quite often debated on the crochet and papercutting forums I go on. It can be quite demoralising when someone offers to pay you a tiny amount for something which has taken a significant amount of time to make, and also learn how to do the craft as well. I made a blanket for some friends when they had their baby. They only wanted to pay £30 which was to include the materials as well. I did it as they are friends, but for anyone else I would say no.

Ooh the crochet on the go bag is 8) Well done that mumsie.

Had to giggle at the thought of the cats playing while trying to craft - and yuk at the soggy wool. Reminds me when I was young my budgie used to sit on the needles while mum was knitting. She did hope that by all the bouncing up and down he'd go away, but he seemed to enjoy it - while saying "doodie doodie doodie" and puffing up his little head feathers. He also liked to make her pattern instructions laced - he bit the paper. I still have letters that were written while I was on holiday with my grandparents that are laced. Or as we used to say Teeny sends his love too.

The bag looks great Kinsk. And very strong. Great work however long it took. :clap: