chuckmum6

Soup maker

Yummy, it's is great, we have all enjoyed the potato, broccoli and Stilton soup I made in 21 mins!!!! Not to sure of the calories, but I had a lump of Stilton that has been hanging around, so it's now gone. Four bowls plus seconds for everyone, sceptical husband is impressed!! Can't wait to try out more recipes now souper :)

My current fave is butternut squash and peanut butter with just a hint of chilli! Sweat onion and some chilli in a little oil and then add cubed squash - minus skin and seeds. Pour on stock to cover and a bit more then let the squash soften. When soft blitz and add peanut butter to taste - can be let down with a bit of cream, yoghurt, sock or water if a bit thick.

Mind you, with a soupmaker I guess you just bung it all in, press the button and go off for a walk :think:

:lol:

I make soup every other day or so in the winter, I usually use the pressure cooker for speed and then blitz it with a blender depending on the required consistency - I'm assuming, as said above, that a soup maker does it all for you? I like some soups to remain chunky.

Leek and potato is a favourite - ideally with saffron if you can afford it! Lentil, tomato and bacon; carrot and coriander; butternut squash with sage, although I might try the peanut butter version above. I'm afraid at least once a week I have what I call 'bottom of the fridge' soup which is a great way to use up any vegetables which have grown tired waiting for their turn. I often add pearl barley, lentils or pasta depending on the other ingredients - there are no rules.

Wow peanut butter, might give that a go.

Yes, the soup maker us a doddle, chop up small, add the stock, press smooth or chunky and return to eat it in 21 or 28 mins respectively!

I made soups my self in pans and the blized, but this is really simple, easy and much smooth than mine. I am most impressed.

My current fave is butternut squash and peanut butter with just a hint of chilli! Sweat onion and some chilli in a little oil and then add cubed squash - minus skin and seeds. Pour on stock to cover and a bit more then let the squash soften. When soft blitz and add peanut butter to taste - can be let down with a bit of cream, yoghurt, sock or water if a bit thick.

Mind you, with a soupmaker I guess you just bung it all in, press the button and go off for a walk :think:

Whoops, no don't add sock; really not recommended! Note to self; CONCENTRATE!

I have a Termomix and make soup in it all the time.

2 faves of ours are sweet potato and chorizo and Jerk cauliflower, sweet corn and chickpea.

Sweet potato and Chorizo.

I onion

2 cloves of garlic

I medium sweet potato

2 pieces of chorizo each about the thickness of a thumb and 3 ins long.

1 pint of chicken stock

1 tsp mild curry powder.

1 tbsp olive oil

Chop onion, sweet potato and chorizo into small pieces (my Thermometermix does this for me)

Mince garlic.

Sauté all the above apart from the stock for 7 -10 minutes

Add stock and cook for 15minutes, on a slow stir.

Blitz and taste. Cook a little longer if you think it needs it, and add add more stock or hot water if necessary

Jerk Cauliflower, sweet corn and chickpea soup.

1 onion

2 cloves of garlic

Tin of chickpeas drained and rinsed

Half a medium cauliflower

A mug of frozen sweet corn, or a small tin

1 pint of chicken stock

2 tsp jerk seasoning.

T tbsp olive oil

Chop onion, cauliflower into small pieces ( see other recipe)

Mince garlic

Add every thing else apart from the stock.

Method as for other recipe. Blitz well as the chickpea skins can be a bit stubborn.

Enjoy!

Ooh yum, I like the sound of the cauliflower and chickpea one especially.

I'm sure it can be done with a saucepan and a blender as you say, Chrissie.

I'd never considered a soup maker as I'm not one for gadgets really, but I do make it a lot in winter, maybe I'll look into it.

Yes I have often been tempted to buy a soup maker as we quite often have soup for lunch, however I am usually making it from a chicken carcase or other bone and it would involve using a pan for this to make the stock and then putting it into the soup maker without the bones. This seems to be defeating the object of the soup maker being labour saving. We usually have the soup quite chunky as I also have no blender, but a potato masher will break the pieces up a bit. But I might surprise myself and buy a soup maker one day because everything you others are making sounds sooo yummy.

I also make my own stock, which I freeze into bags ready for soup making. I particularly like the non stick bottom of my machine which allows me to sauté any raw meat before adding everything else to turn it into soup. Ham and pea is my sons favourite, dead easy to make with bacon lardons, peas and stock from the freezer! I don't even like soup that much, but I am hoping it will help me lose weight, but I guess the bread and butter hunks don't really help much! :oops:

I have given into temptation, and I have bought a new soup maker as well now! It should come this week. All of the recipes and tips shown by the omleteers look lovely and I am looking forward to trying them out. Also wondering how chuckmum6 is getting on with hers now - has it helped her to lose weight? because we need to do that. Have to resist the bread and butter to accompany the soup is the problem, like Chuckmum says.

Freezing the stock in bags to use with the soup maker is a really good idea, and I suppose that way it is more easy to skim off any fat which might be in the stock. I also went on a website today (Scottish Mum) who says that you can make stock from a carcase in a soup maker by using the chunky setting which presumably does not blend at all.

She suggests that you can do two cycles like this for stronger stock before straining and using the stock with veg in the usual way. I will try to provide the link

http://scottishmum.com/2015/04/soup-maker-recipe-leek-potato-and-garlic-soup

- just one of the soups on her website.