Ursula123

Prolapse - Sad update

My 18month old white star prolapsed yesterday, eventually she passed a soft shell. I have put the prolapse back but it pops out when she poops (sorry).

I have syringed honey into the vent as suggested on another post, covered with sugar another time. Also given her a warm bath to try and help. It has come out again and am just about to try some pile cream.

I spoke to the vet and basically told to cull her, but would like to give her a chance. Am I just prolonging matters or is there a possibility I can treat this.

She is in my spare Classic in the dark with water and a have given her some weetabix this morning.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Thank you for your kind comments.

DM - it was quite a large prolapse ( much bigger than my first knuckle on my thumb). The vet said it was quite large and a big possibility of infection.

When I told my father in law ( 81 year old farmer ) he asked why I hadn't either safety pinned it or just put a stitch in with some sewing thread as this is what he used to do with his sheep. :shock:

My 8 and a half year old Wyandotte bantam Penny who has just come back into lay and seems otherwise the picture of health has a prolapse. I just happened to notice that her back end didn’t look right this evening - no change in behaviour at all - still bullying everyone else for corn / sunbathing / digging and went to bed as normal and was sleeping with her head under her wing as she always is when I went to get her.

It’s just a little smaller than a walnut. I’ve cleaned it with clean water and then thanks to advice from Lewis a dilute solution of hibiscrub. I’ve put some honey on it. I’ve tried 4 times to gently push it back in but even though I did eventually get it to stay while I was holding it, as soon as Pen wriggled and moved it came back out.

She’s now quietly ensconced in a cosy cat box in a spare room downstairs. She had a drink before she settled down. I’ll take her to the vet in the morning if it hasn’t gone back in during the night but I’m not very hopeful. She and her sister Amy are the only ones of my original flock left. 

• Sad 3

Slightly better but not enough to really be pleased about. Still well in herself. Escaped from her box twice and happily eating corn and drinking.

Just got back from the vet - he managed to put it back in but said he doesn’t know if it’ll stay, and other than repeatedly putting it back in there’s nothing else they would do for a hen of her age (which she thought was a totally unnecessary statement in the car park where anyone could hear!). So she’s back home. I’ve got some Vetericyn to spray on and I’m about to set up the dog crate to keep her quiet and warm indoors for tonight and we’ll just have to see how she gets on.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:45 PM, mullethunter said:

Slightly better but not enough to really be pleased about. Still well in herself. Escaped from her box twice and happily eating corn and drinking.

Just got back from the vet - he managed to put it back in but said he doesn’t know if it’ll stay, and other than repeatedly putting it back in there’s nothing else they would do for a hen of her age (which she thought was a totally unnecessary statement in the car park where anyone could hear!). So she’s back home. I’ve got some Vetericyn to spray on and I’m about to set up the dog crate to keep her quiet and warm indoors for tonight and we’ll just have to see how she gets on.

How’s Penny doing?