bluekarin

Dog suddenly limping, but didnt cry in pain

Took Neela for a walk before going to our new house to do some more work on it before moving in, in 10 days :shock: Anyway, took her ball and thrower to wear her out a bit so she settles (she does not think its home yet). On the second throw, she ran for the ball, then stopped as if she had a branch or something similar stuck in her fur. She was then limping on her back leg. I can't see anything obviously stuck, its not bleeding profusely though there was a small amount of blood at the base of her little toe nail. She lets me touch her entire leg which I hope is good as I thought maybe she had hurt a ligament. I have now bathed it in warm water with some hibi scrub and swooshed her foot about in the water a bit. She seemed to relax a little with that. Obv I will get her to the vet if its still causing problems in the morning, but any suggestions as to what she might have done? Thank you.

Might just caught the nail on something. Is she still putting her foot down? And does she bear weight when standing? If so, I wouldn't be overly worried.

Broken/torn nails can be painful, but nothing really you can do about it. My moms cat tore her nail off somehow (back leg). Didn't limp one bit, but it was a bloody afair. Nail is coming back slowly again.

She is putting it down but not really weight bearing on it. She just contemplated jumping on tne sofa, but decided against it :( She doesnt want me touching her foot at all so I suspect its her nail. She hurt her leg a few years ago when we were just walking, and it took a few days to get better, so I am hoping this is a similar thing.

I will see how she is in the morning and go from there. It must be hurting or very sore though as she is barely coming to me for treats :shock: She is a cocker spaniel and LIVES for food!

I dont have any arnica sadly (and hubby could do with it as he has so many bruises fom moving boxes).

I've had as much of a look as she would let me. I could see it was a bit red between her 'little toe' and the one next to it, which is why I thought it might have bled a bit, but nothing really. I have carefully felt over her pads, slightly squeezed her foot as well. She has just managed to jump onto the sofa which is a breakthrough since an hour or so ago she wouldnt try. She is also following me about again. At least she isnt crying or shaking like she was earlier today, but I suspect she was cold as she was a bit wet from the grass and the heating at the new place wasn't on. I tried putting her vet bedding on top of her, but she didnt like it.

A little update.

I had been slowly increasing her walks since this incident, and she seemed to be doing well. Unfortunately this week, when I got back in from the hospital with my youngest, I let her out for wees after a lack lustre welcome and when she came back in she started screaming and whimpering and crying. It was awful. She just laid on the back door and then front door rugs shaking and crying. Took her to the vets who thought it was muscle damage, prescribed metacam and rest, and to bring her back today. Today, another vet saw her, got me to walk her then checked her and then got me to walk her again, and said she has definate lameness in her leg and suspects a ruptured cruiate ligament. She needs to go back this Fri, after not eating, just in case she needs xrays. Poor thing :( I hope its something that can be fixed quickly and easily, and not to expensively :anxious:

Only just read your update. I hope that things are improving. I am not usually a killjoy but I am sorry to say that ball throwing is not great for a lot of dogs. They can suffer damage to joints - hips and stifles (rear knee area). The sudden stopping jolts joints and when dogs catch up with a ball, often the top half of the body continues long after the bottom half has stopped which is where cruciates can tear. I hope that the cruciate settles without the need for surgery. I would advise stopping ball throwing games with her. If she likes a ball you perhaps play search games with it or throw a ball and send her after it has landed, this way the approach is slower and more controlled.

I was interested to hear Supervet Noel,swoon,swoon,say that a cruciate injury can happen when you don't take your dog too many long walks,then suddenly over exercise them. I think that might have been our problem. When we worked they got quick morning and afternoon walk. Then at weekends out for very long walks. How is your doggie now? Has it settled?

I was interested to hear Supervet Noel,swoon,swoon,say that a cruciate injury can happen when you don't take your dog too many long walks,then suddenly over exercise them. I think that might have been our problem. When we worked they got quick morning and afternoon walk. Then at weekends out for very long walks. How is your doggie now? Has it settled?

Hmm, a cruciate injury in a dog is very similar to spraining an ankle. Common and fairly easily done, especially in dogs whose confirmation lends itself to a weakness in that area which wears the ligament. Then the top half of leg goes one way and the bottom half goes the other and it goes. A very common skiing injury in humans. :D

She seems to be doing ok now. She had the all clear from the vet on Friday, and we have been gradually increasing her walks. Her first one off the lead was amazing. She was so happy. We won't do the ball throwing anymore. She isn't ball obsessed, but she does love to run after one when its thrown, and on one of our evening lead walks, she saw on in the road near the local vets, which she was trying to get to so I let her get it and she carried it very happily home. Hmm, maybe she is ball obsessed :think:

Anyway, we will continue with gradually increasing her walks and see how we go.