Well done both of you :dance:!

Clips can also be opened with a very big screwdriver - though you're more likely to have a 50p piece and it's less likely to slip :D

Cubes are definitely the way to go. Got my (cube green) brand new before I got my first hens, then bought (pink eglu) second hand and it is ok, but nowhere near as good. Enter second hand (cube red) for introductions and extra housing.

Only have 3 girls now and they are very spoiled :oops:

Ok so we connected it all up this evening. The girls explored it straight away and all 4 of them have put themselves to bed in it without prompting (2 of them are in the nest though, silly birds!)

But it was only when I went to shut them up for the night, as OH had put the cube itself together, that I realised that the security isn't great. There are 2 problems. I'll try to explain them. I wondered whether anyone has come up with any clever workarounds for either of these:

1) on the egg port door, the small plastic bump that creates the resistance when you turn the handle has worn smooth. There is therefore no resistance on the handle and no "clunk" when you twist the handle shut or open. This means its very easy to turn the handle and then the door falls open. I'm figuring I will need to fit an external bolt, catch or lock to make it safe. For tonight I've gaffa taped over the handle so nothing can inadvertently push on it.

2) the metal clips that hold the droppings trays in place are also deformed to the point of useless. We've tried to straighten them back into place and one of them is holding but I've had to gaffa tape the other dropping tray in, too and it's really not very secure at all. Is it possible to fashion our own replacement clips or is it also going to be a case of adding some kind of external catch to the trays?

Feeling a bit deflated :wall:

Good idea Dogmother, hadn't occurred to me as the cube is very 2nd hand.

I've also just had a brainwave of how I could easily add external latches using small sections of flat metal bracket and a few screws. OH thinks that a screw with a domed head on the inside of the egg port door might act as a replacement "bump" where the moulded plastic has worn down.

YAAAAAAYYY!!

I admit I haven't owned any of the other models, but I love my MK1 cube. The MiL has a wooden hen house and I don't envy her in the slightest!

Once you've got the routine down you'll find you can give it all a good clean and change everything around in about 10 - 15 minutes no problem.

Our neighbours even asked about ours because they were thinking of getting one having seen how cute they are. They're always talking to the chooks over the fence. :)

We saw a brand new cube the other day and on a simple inspection I have to say it looked like a massive improvement on the Mk 1. But we haven't, obviously, tried to actually use one so I couldn't say for sure.

Our new-to-us 2nd hand Mk1 is currently being shored up with gaffa tape whilst we work out how to secure it. Omlet have confirmed to us that they don't sell the clips for the poop trays; neither do they have any Mk 1 replacement poo trays left. So we'll have to fashion our own or make external latches. But they thought my idea of a dome-headed screw on the inside of the egg port door might work well.

We might look at it tomorrow and see what we can do...

We saw a brand new cube the other day and on a simple inspection I have to say it looked like a massive improvement on the Mk 1. But we haven't, obviously, tried to actually use one so I couldn't say for sure.

Our new-to-us 2nd hand Mk1 is currently being shored up with gaffa tape whilst we work out how to secure it. Omlet have confirmed to us that they don't sell the clips for the poop trays; neither do they have any Mk 1 replacement poo trays left. So we'll have to fashion our own or make external latches. But they thought my idea of a dome-headed screw on the inside of the egg port door might work well.

We might look at it tomorrow and see what we can do...

It's worth checking eBay for spares - I've seen quite a few over time. What bits are you missing? I personally find the litter trays stay in place without them clicking in to space.

If you take some measurements and look online I am sure you'll be able to find a company that will either sell some similar - or custom make you some (assuming you're prepared to pay).

I don't really know why Omlet canned the Mk1 in favour of the Mk2. I assume to reduce production costs while charging the same amount for them! :lol:

I don't really know why Omlet canned the Mk1 in favour of the Mk2. I assume to reduce production costs while charging the same amount for them! :lol:

Exactly :roll: I understand that they also wanted to bring the design look in line with the Go!.... which isn't exactly a resounding success.

My main gripe with the new model is not so much the shape as much as it is the size reduction. Isn't the MK1 meant to be able to hold up to 10 medium sized hybrids?

I think the new ones only hold a maximum of 8?

Personally I would always have at least 2 fewer birds than the maximum limit in order to give them some more space anyway, but for me it would effectively reduce the capacity from 8 to 6. I know most people probably don't have more than that anyway, but it's a bit annoying if you ever want to expand your flock!

There was always a gripe over the quoted number of birds in each type/size of housing... mainly because while the numbers are accurate based on the quantity of birds which will fit in each house, it makes no mention of the relevance of run size, which is crucial, and might not be obvious to a beginner. The basic 'pack' of cube + 1 metre run (so cube, 1 metre under the housing + 1 metre of run) is only suitable for 3 birds at the most.

The same with the classic eglu. The Go! is smaller housing-wise, and the run tapers more towards the ground, so while is has roughly the same footprint, it has less usable space and so can take less birds. When you understand this concept, it is obvious, but to someone less knowledgeable, it isn't, and is rarely explained clearly in any literature. This is one thing that I make very clear on my beginner courses as people end up with too little run space, too many birds, which results in pecking and cannibalism.

I was asked recently to pop out and look at the set-up of someone who lived not far from me - they had a pecking problem. They had just this problem, and while the set-up they had might have been fine for the initial number of birds they had, they'd gradually increased numbers to the point of overcrowding. There was also a bad red mite problem, which made them even tetchier.