Grandmashazzie

New Layout & Forum Software

13 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Arrrggghhh!!!! I don’t like change! Anyone know if there’s still a way to see unread posts or is it just the list of recent ones?

Also REALLY not a fan of the adverts.

Unread posts is now called unread content (right top corner) or click on Activity top left.

3 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

OK, so looking at the various forums and their threads, how can we tell which have new posts on them and then click through to that post?

I haven’t found out how to click through to the new post either.

Within forums, unread topics are indicated by the big dot to the left of the topic title (clicking the dot should take you to the first unread post). Topics with no new posts will have no dot.

unread_threads.png.810a30f1b9b3959abfc35737b472e0a3.png

At the forum level, forums with unread posts will have a dark green icon to the left, whereas forums with no new posts have a lighter green.

unread_forums.png.8e807147dc771001edb2e2b4a6cfe355.png

You may well find that due to the upgrade, the forum software doesn't know which posts you have/haven't read, as there is no way to carry this over from the previous software.

You can mark an entire forum as read by clicking on the icon to the left of the forum name. You can mark all posts as read across the site with the "Mark site read" link in the top right, just above the top banner.

There are a few new tools in Invision Power Board (IPB for short) to allow you to find new content. There's an "unread content" link in the top right, again just above the top banner, which works similar to the "Unread Posts" page in phpBB. You can also use the "Activity" tab on the grey tab bar to find some other options to discover content. You can even create your own custom "Activity Stream" with whichever filters you like.

activity.thumb.png.5d55b55e9f40926feafe42ec485d5536.png

(Sorry for the big images, it's just the way my laptop takes screenshots)

34 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Did prefer the old smilies though... :-D

The old smilies have all been brought over. You should be able to use the same codes as before, or from the smilies box, if you click Categories in the top right, you can choose 'Converted' which will show you all of the old ones to pick from.

smilies.thumb.png.a6e750983d924b24eda6e11da0e7a6b3.png

Wow, quick work guys! Very impressive. And Invision have upgraded since I last used their forums.

I'm also not keen on the banner ad across the screen as it gets in the way of smooth reading. I understand the marketing behind it but think it could put newbies off joining.

9 minutes ago, GrannyTrish said:

Wow, quick work guys! Very impressive. And Invision have upgraded since I last used their forums.

I'm also not keen on the banner ad across the screen as it gets in the way of smooth reading. I understand the marketing behind it but think it could put newbies off joining.

I agree! As newbie, once you made it to the forum, you have already passed the website. So bombarding us with adds is really not necessary.

Edited by Cat tails

6 minutes ago, GrannyTrish said:

Not urgent, but how do you edit your signature now? I've looked at My Profile but can't see it there. O.o

Also, more emoticons would be a nice addition, pretty please, Admins. :D

They've hidden the option in an odd place. If you click on your name at the top of the page, just below the green menu, and then "Account Settings"

5a9806539f077_AccountSettings.png.49bb2f0697c06a9531c001379719489f.png

Then from the menu on the left, you can choose "Signature"

Signature.thumb.png.9c48034fca5cfe1fe9bb1df73304c6a2.png

What emoticons would you like to see added? All of the emoticons from the previous software are still available, see my earlier post for how to find them all

27 minutes ago, Dave_L said:

They've hidden the option in an odd place. If you click on your name at the top of the page, just below the green menu, and then "Account Settings"

5a9806539f077_AccountSettings.png.49bb2f0697c06a9531c001379719489f.png

Then from the menu on the left, you can choose "Signature"

Signature.thumb.png.9c48034fca5cfe1fe9bb1df73304c6a2.png

What emoticons would you like to see added? All of the emoticons from the previous software are still available, see my earlier post for how to find them all

Thanks, Dave. They have hidden the Signature setting well!

As for emoticons, I've got a few gifs saved from a forum I used to run. Here are some of them;

Beach.gif

Bee.gif

Chat.gif

Clap.gif

Cold.gif

Eating.gif

Excited.gif

Fingers Crossed.gif

Exactly.gif

Edited by GrannyTrish

Well that was strange - I just opened up to snigger at Soapy with her unused naughty points and my previous scribbling popped up in the box - had to check to see if I actually did post earlier - and there it is, up above and done.   I guess there will be hiccups for a while.  

I do love those jumping smileys Granny!