Grandmashazzie

New Layout & Forum Software

I must admit I am finding it a bit odd.......but then I am a Luddite with Asperger's and hate change :lol::wall: Took me a while to work out why the US Nesting Box had dissapeared!

Can't get my head around the fact that the thread with the latest post is not now automatically at the top of the list; that seemed to be a very logical way of arranging things!

I like it! It's how I like my FB timeline to look with a big mixture of things that I've found. Politics, cooking, news and puppies abd kitten videos etc all muddled together. I enjoyed reading through the posts this morning. It felt like a magazine.

Must be missing something as mine still looks exactly the same as it did before...

• Administrators
Can't get my head around the fact that the thread with the latest post is not now automatically at the top of the list; that seemed to be a very logical way of arranging things!

Hi Soapdragon,

We haven't changed the default sort order - if you find your posts aren't appearing with the newest post at the top of the list, have a look at the bottom of the page and you'll see a couple of drop-down boxes for 'sort by'. Set those to 'Post Time' and 'Descending' and click 'go' and it should be back to normal!

• Administrators
the US nesting box going is no surprise don't know why it took so long

can't figure out why some of the sub forums have been lumped into this one through as for the general layout that's just following a lot of forums

Hi sjp,

Our old forum layout dated from a time when we had hundreds, sometimes thousands of new posts every day. Now we only get a few dozen posts a day we felt it was better to concentrate the activity in just a few forums to encourage interaction and make it easier for new users to find posts that interest them.

I do think that the gardening thingy and the crafty thingy will be a pain to find now that they've been merged. It goes a bit quiet at times and we'll all have to scroll back miles to find the posts. I think I prefer those the way they were. Unless us crafty gardeners take over The Nesting Box - come on someone - find me a white fluffy cat to stroke and a big chair to hide behind! :wink:

the US nesting box going is no surprise don't know why it took so long

can't figure out why some of the sub forums have been lumped into this one through as for the general layout that's just following a lot of forums

Hi sjp,

Our old forum layout dated from a time when we had hundreds, sometimes thousands of new posts every day. Now we only get a few dozen posts a day we felt it was better to concentrate the activity in just a few forums to encourage interaction and make it easier for new users to find posts that interest them.

how do's logic work! lumping everything into one busy forum makes things harder to find personally I don't go past the the curent page on any site my low boredom threshold kicks in after that. I also mainly only checkout 3 or 4 of the sub forums were I have an interest or a little bit of knowledge in the subject

Most of the changes seem pretty sensible and we'll get used to them but I think it's silly to have lost the Chicken Clinic which used to be a fantastic resource.

I often pop on to check for new posts and the Chicken Clinic was a good place to ask questions and where I could try and give advice - I won't necessarily have time to read through posts about sourcing chickens, eggs and hatching so will miss out on posts.

I have only just engaged with this properly, when I saw the locked sections I thought they were still being worked on.

I strongly agree with the majority view, the forum has become a lot less user friendly by condensing so many sections. I also tend to click search new posts which is OK up to a point, but there are certain topics where you want to scroll back and add to it over a long period. For example, several of us are contributing over several years to a gardening thread, assuming this has merged into the Nesting Box, I dread to think how many posts are ahead of it. I am sure this is true of many other topics.

Like Lewis has said, the chicken clinic is a key feature. It's a reference section as much as an emergency section. And as most people have said - if it ain't broke, why fix it? Added to which you have not bothered to ask us, the actual users, as opposed to the 'new users' you mention (although there seem to be very few of these) what we think/need. Logically I do not accept that limiting the number of topics, particularly unrelated subjects, makes a forum easier to use.

Given Omlet have not engaged with one of the first rules of marketing, which is to know your customer, I am forced to conclude that actually we don't count for much. If you think of it, the forum only exists because of the goodness of Omlet, and perhaps it is no longer an effective route to market, so these are the first steps in rationalising it.