AndyRoo

Been accepted for a degree!!

34 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Well yes I was was 0 - 10 in the 80s but I don’t really feel like I remember much before the late 80s so always feel more like a child of the 90s 😂

Oh really? I have a really good memory. I can remember things back to when I was about 2-3 years old. My father never used to believe me and then I described the house that we lived in at that age and the layout of the building and the decor, furniture, and the decoration. He couldn't believe it.

I consider myself a child of the 80s - and obviously I was a teen in the 90s.

The big debate is: are we elder Millennials or something else? Personally I consider myself to be between Generation X and the Millennials. I've always thought of Millennials as being the slightly dopey people who grew up after the internet became mainstream and don't know what a corded phone is. lol

That’s funny because the only thing I can really remember before I was about 7 is the layout of the house we lived in when I was 3-7, and I have little snapshot memories of really odd mundane things like standing in a stool by the worktop watching my mum make stuffed hearts or my dad falling through the front door after a run. But no memories of events.

I definitely don’t think of myself as millenial - I agree - they are people who don’t know life without the internet or smartphones. To be honest I’m not sure what Generation X is.

I’m definitely a 90s kid. (31 now...) And I like to amaze the kids by telling them when I got my first mobile phone. Or telling them that as a kid I used to listen to cassette tapes. Although I do have to admit I sometimes catch myself wondering why people in series having such trouble finding their way around or reaching people... when they are staged about a hundred years ago...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

That’s funny because the only thing I can really remember before I was about 7 is the layout of the house we lived in when I was 3-7, and I have little snapshot memories of really odd mundane things like standing in a stool by the worktop watching my mum make stuffed hearts or my dad falling through the front door after a run. But no memories of events.

I definitely don’t think of myself as millenial - I agree - they are people who don’t know life without the internet or smartphones. To be honest I’m not sure what Generation X is.

Officially Generation X would be out parents, and we count as Millennials. But I strongly contest it.

18 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

I’m definitely a 90s kid. (31 now...) And I like to amaze the kids by telling them when I got my first mobile phone. Or telling them that as a kid I used to listen to cassette tapes. Although I do have to admit I sometimes catch myself wondering why people in series having such trouble finding their way around or reaching people... when they are staged about a hundred years ago...

My niece and nephew don't believe me when I tell them we didn't have computers or the internet or mobile phones when I was their age. Although it's gone the other way now as they can do things on computers that I don't know how to do.

My niece is 7 and her parents got her a laptop for Christmas. I was shaking my head wondering "What the hell does a 7 year old need a laptop for?". My BiL asked me at what age I'd give my kids a computer if I had them. My response was "They can use a family computer in the living room, and maybe once they're about 16 I'll let them join Facebook and we can discuss computers in bedrooms then." He was actually quite shocked. But, nu-huh, no way! And my kids can have mobiles from the age of 16 too - not before!

Maybe I'd be too strict and over-protecting as a parent and drive them crazy, but I think kids are waaaaaaay too good at making mischief for themselves and everyone else these days. Plus cyberbullying and this so-called 'Sexting' craze scares the life out of with how much trouble young teens can get themselves in. It can really mess up their lives, they're just too young to realise it. Although I was bullied horrendously, I'm so glad we didn't have all this other stuff to cause us grief at the same time!!

On a lighter note, last time they were here, I showed them a vinyl LP and they couldn't understand what it was, so I said "It's like a CD." My 4 year old nephew didn't even know what a damn CD was!! I couldn't believe it.

• Haha 1

I think it will be a challenge to keep your kids from having a mobile and being on social media till they are 16 to be honest. The pressure from conforming to the norm and from peers will be great. Although I totally agree about a 7 year old having a laptop. Or mobile for that matter, but your nieces are far from an exception anymore. I literally have to tell parents of my students that they are allowed to take these things away from their kid if they show they can’t handle their phone AND schoolwork at the same time... “But Thomas is spending so much time on his schoolwork!” No, Thomas is spending so much time on his computer, locked in his room and none of it has anything to do with school!

• Like 1

We kept ES away from mobile 'phones until secondary school as he went to a tiny primary and no one else had one. However, as he goes to school 6 miles away by school bus we decided that he needed one in case of emergencies. He is very sensible and makes £10 credit last two and a half terms! Its mainly used to tell me he's forgotten that he's forgotten to tell me about cooking ingredients required for food tech, to ask if he can arrange to play tennis after school or give me a running commentary on the status of the bus arrival (or otherwise!) maybe because he's a bloke - poss different with girls who want to 'chat' more? 

On the subject of 'times past' I got an Abba Greatest Hits CD from a fete this summer and played it in the car. I was merrily belting out Waterloo and the boys were amazed; 'How do you know all these words, Ma?' YS asked. 'I was there mate, in front of the tele watching it live from wherever'! Equally I clearly recall being dragged out of bed to watch the moon landing in 69...I was so sleepy and just wanted to go back to bed but Dad kept saying 'this is history being made; you'll remember this'. I do; I was knackered and couldn't wait for it to be over so I could go back to sleep! I still yawn when re runs are shown. (BTW DOB 1964!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cat tails said:

I think it will be a challenge to keep your kids from having a mobile and being on social media till they are 16 to be honest. The pressure from conforming to the norm and from peers will be great. Although I totally agree about a 7 year old having a laptop. Or mobile for that matter, but your nieces are far from an exception anymore. I literally have to tell parents of my students that they are allowed to take these things away from their kid if they show they can’t handle their phone AND schoolwork at the same time... “But Thomas is spending so much time on his schoolwork!” No, Thomas is spending so much time on his computer, locked in his room and none of it has anything to do with school!

True. But my plan is try try and instil in my kids that peer pressure and conformity are not generally positive things, and there's nothing wrong with being different.

I absolutely agree with the last comment - especially having been a teenage boy (lol) - but that's why I would insist upon a family computer until such an age that I felt there was pretty much no choice but to let them act like adults.

12 hours ago, soapdragon said:

On the subject of 'times past' I got an Abba Greatest Hits CD from a fete this summer and played it in the car. I was merrily belting out Waterloo and the boys were amazed; 'How do you know all these words, Ma?' YS asked. 'I was there mate, in front of the tele watching it live from wherever'! Equally I clearly recall being dragged out of bed to watch the moon landing in 69...I was so sleepy and just wanted to go back to bed but Dad kept saying 'this is history being made; you'll remember this'. I do; I was knackered and couldn't wait for it to be over so I could go back to sleep! I still yawn when re runs are shown. (BTW DOB 1964!)

Hahaha. Yes, I was talking about some music I like with the N&N. The two I mentioned were Celine Dion and Alanis Morissette.

"Who are they? Are they really old?"

[Imagine me giving the politest insincere smile anyone can muster.] lol

• Haha 1

Haha, I remember all of that Soapy - am older than you by a year :P I was at ABBA live concerts, boogying on down!

Andyroo - Great aspirations, but good luck with it. I had the most well adjusted girl, who wasn't at all impressed by peer pressure, but that all went west when she went to secondary school :roll:  Technology is the new religion!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

Andyroo - Great aspirations, but good luck with it. I had the most well adjusted girl, who wasn't at all impressed by peer pressure, but that all went west when she went to secondary school :roll:  Technology is the new religion!

Oh, I plan to lead as the head of a ruthless dictatorship. lol

22 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

I work as a secondary school teacher and I have a phone jail in my classroom. All phones go in there at the beginning of the lesson.

We do something similar at house parties and family meals. We have a bowl on the table, everyone puts their phone in it, and the first one to touch it has to get drinks and make food for everyone else.

I have just organised a 'party' for ES 14th B'day in Sept out in the woods - den building, cooking over a fire, bow and arrow making, swing building etc and I have made it very clear that ALL 'phones are to be either left at home or handed to OH or me for safekeeping for the duration (4 hours if dry, 3 if wet!!!) I am all for 'phone free zones -  pref all public spaces :ph34r:

Not sure what that emoji means but seems to fit the bill :$

Edited by soapdragon
General Ignorance
  • Like 1

I agree at secondary school there is definite peer pressure to have a mobile phone but also I think it is a good idea if they are travelling a distant to school in case of emergency. 

I work in a small village primary school and we have three or four mobiles deposited on the office desk each day. This does surprise and sadden me. I don't think they really need a phone at that age. 

Cut to: three years later.

I've passed and finished! The final scores are out and I will be graduating with a distinction (74% average). So I may not be Stephen Hawking, but I am definitely better than the teachers who called me stupid thought.

And to make it taste even sweeter: My first year tutor on this degree told me I could 'probably' get a merit, but a distinction would be 'too much of a stretch'. HA!

JW4.gif

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Daphne said:

Very well done!  What next I wonder?  I hope you are having a proper celebration, I think its always good to celebrate achievements, particularly at the moment when there is so much doom and gloom about.

Sadly, no formal celebration. It's still up in the air as to whether there'll even be a graduation ceremony this year - so we've all joked that maybe we'll have to hire some graduation robes and take photos in the garden with pretend scrolls!

Although I am currently celebrating with some wine in the garden.

3 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Congratulations on getting your degree.

You must be really proud of yourself.

THRILLED is the word. I honestly never ever thought this would be something I did.

Because I was bullied so badly at school, I couldn't concentrate. My hair would fall out in clumps, and I was so stressed out that I didn't even take my GCSEs because I was physically and mentally unwell. It took me well over 15 years to recover from the trauma - and I'm not fully recovered now. I'd written it off as a possibility because I never thought I'd be in the right headspace for it again... also, I'm turning 40 this year - so I felt like I was going to be too old, but I've really enjoyed it.

I'd like to go on and study criminal psychology, which is a real interest, but that would take another 6 years and cost around £65k - which is money I just don't have!

I feel so old 59 going on 10. Big kid at heart. Love a good loud song in car to warble a long too with windows down. 

Well done Andy. Sorry about the bullying , I was bullied at school. Hated school. 

Being happy and successful is the greatest revenge. 

Edited by Alis girls

Andyroo - this is TOTALLY amazing news! WELL DONE YOU :clap:! You must have such a sense of achievement :dance:.I, too, was bullied at school (no one knew about Asperger's in the late 70's) and am only just now (at the grand old age of 56 with a diagnosis) feeling any sense of self worth. 

Enjoy that wine - you are brilliant.........here's to the next stage of your life 🍹.

• Like 1

Andy this is absolutely fantastic news!!! Well done on your result - totally deserved after taking the plunge and putting in so much hard work.

Really sad and disappointing that even in this degree they didn’t seem to have much faith in you at the outset - I hope that just makes it all the sweeter.

so pleased for you xx

• Like 1