redhotchick

My first granny square

Hi, Popped on to the forum to share this. Everything has changed! I can't find the craft section! How are you all doing? 

Anyway, my very first granny square. Lots of mistakes. Would you unravel and start again, or accept that it will blend in and not be noticed in a blanket? 

Any tips for future squares?

Love, Cathryn x

20181003_211646.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redhotchick said:

I did really struggle with tension. Should I be aiming for the whole thing to be tighter? x

Depends on the look you are going for. Tighter crochet makes it harder to get the hook in, but you should aim for having an even tension overall. Tighter crochet is more suitable for things that are used, as it is less likely to lose shape or get caught on stuff.

An easy way to get tighter loops is by using a smaller hook, but it should still easily hook the yarn, meaning the yarn shouldn’t be to thick for the hook.

Lovely square redhotchick

I am taking crochet back up after about 30 years of not doing it, and surprised myself by managing a granny square straight off...old habits obviously die hard. I have bought some lovely cotton yarn to make a neck warmer from a  pattern on Attic24, not at all sure exactly when I will get to do it as I'm totally rammed with stuff at the moment :roll: still, it's a start, and I will no doubt be asking advice when I get stuck. I remember there was quite a group of crocheters in the old days - Egluntyne is rather good, from memory.

Looks pretty good to me :-D

I haven't done any crochet for ages and probably will have to start from scratch when I can eventually use my arms properly.

I did do a little blanket ages ago in treble crochet but when it was finished I did notice some of the little 'groups' only had 2 bits not 3.

By the way, the Craft Section disappeared ages ago along with the Gardening Section - they should have asked us first :shameonu:

Yes do I'd be proud to receive only of your early efforts and don't worry about your bit of tension problem it wont notice when you get a shed load more squares done.  When you finish if you spray it with water and let it dry the thread all relaxes and they settle more evenly.

Edited by Plum
  • Like 1