For my birthday OH took me to a poultry sale 😀🐓🐔

So I have new girls!! 2 barred Plymouth Rock bantams, 3 Dutch bantams (not sure what their colour would be called), and one red sablepoot. They’re all lovely and settling in together in the Go run OK. The Plymouth Rocks must be a bit older I think - they’re not cheeping, are pretty confident (were into the pellets and wanting to be out and about straight away) and are definitely in charge (they are by far the biggest of the newbies). The three Dutch seem at home straight away - dust bathing within 10 minutes of arriving and seem very happy apart from when the Plymouth Rocks are pecking them! I am slightly worried about though. She has a very bent toe (isn’t hurting her and isn’t slightly warm so has probably always been like it) which I didn’t notice until we got home but which is possibly slightly impeding ‘normal’ running (it could just be her massive foot feathers though I’ve never had a sablepoot before), and she is much more reticent than the others. I held her for a while and she nearly went to sleep but seemed more over stressed than relaxed. I’m hoping it’s just that she’s arrived alone whereas the others were a two and a three, so she is feeling stressed and will improve over the coming few days. She’s very pale but I have seen her eat and drink a little so fingers crossed. There’s always something to worry about!

Anyway - very excited about my new girls - gotta go and put them to bed now.

(don’t tell anyone I now have 13 chickens - not sure how that happened)

2AC2B7D9-E1E9-4F90-A206-22E56CC14FF8.jpeg

C22BE4BA-055D-47B1-AFD6-C31340DB8CB1.jpeg

5E8C47B0-57D6-400D-950A-E2721757A6C2.jpeg

B6C079CD-EE08-4D05-80A5-84FC02B351BD.jpeg

5E9EE4FA-5AC6-4A5C-947D-803FF3A0A90D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Natspringy said:

Ooh, they are so pretty. What a brilliant birthday present! Hope they are settling well and belated Happy Birthday!! 😊😊 hope the wonky toe isn't causing any bother. Enjoy your lovely new girls. 13 chickens sounds fab to me! 

Thankyou 😀 They have settled in very well. Shirley (my one remaining Plymouth Rock - unfortunately her sister Pepsi had a viral respiratory infection and died last weekend ☹️) is no free ranging with the others and the pecking order organisation has begun. The Dutch girls, Snap, Crackle and Pop and Pootle the Sablepoot (whose gender I am slightly suspicious about) seem happy in the Go with an additional bit of run on grass. All remaining girls seem very healthy 😊

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

Oh wow, is that how many you have now ?

Hmm, yes. Well, 12 as I lost Pepsi. It will be ten as soon as the boys go (hopefully this weekend - OH, Shirley and presumably the neighbours are getting a bit fed up of them). Never really intended to have this many it just sort of happened! Only have one pekin now though (lovely little Duck) so I still have a list :whistle:

23 hours ago, mullethunter said:

Thankyou 😀 They have settled in very well. Shirley (my one remaining Plymouth Rock - unfortunately her sister Pepsi had a viral respiratory infection and died last weekend ☹️) is no free ranging with the others and the pecking order organisation has begun. The Dutch girls, Snap, Crackle and Pop and Pootle the Sablepoot (whose gender I am slightly suspicious about) seem happy in the Go with an additional bit of run on grass. All remaining girls seem very healthy 😊

Hmm, yes. Well, 12 as I lost Pepsi. It will be ten as soon as the boys go (hopefully this weekend - OH, Shirley and presumably the neighbours are getting a bit fed up of them). Never really intended to have this many it just sort of happened! Only have one pekin now though (lovely little Duck) so I still have a list :whistle:

Sorry re Pepsi. Glad the remaining are all well. Love the names! 

Edited by Natspringy
  • Like 1

On 19/10/2018 at 2:35 PM, Plum said:

Hows the one with the wonky toe?

She seems fine Thankyou for asking. She was very pale in the face when she arrived and very quiet but she looks much healthier now and is really coming out of herself. She does fall over rather a lot - not sure if that’s the wonky toes or the massive foot feathers but it’s quite funny poor dear 😂 

The only potential fly in the ointment is that to me her feather colours and shape are really starting to suggest cockerel to me. She was sold as female and I’ve only had her a week so if she does turn out to be male I’ll be pretty miffed as the breeder must’ve known. I’m hoping it’s just that I’m not familiar with sablepoots.

Oh! And Shirley laid her first egg today !eggcream! :dance:

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

After free ranging together for a good few weeks, tonight Shirley has gone to bed with the other girls. I did persuade her somewhat by closing her run at bedtime, but all seems to have gone surprisingly well. I’m going to work from home tomorrow so I can leave them all shut in the run together but be on hand to see what happens.

This also means the Dutch girls and pootle (still not clear on male or female) can have the full 3 metres of Go run.

An odd pecking order has developed. Before the birthday chickens it went Penny (Wyandotte bantam) - Amy (Wyandotte bantam) - Margot (Araucana bantam) - Camilla (Campine bantam) - Duck (Pekin). Shirley (Plymouth Rock bantam) arrived POL but was laying within a couple of weeks, she’s smaller that all the others except Duck but in a very compact sort of way and appears tough. After a few skirmishes, she will run away from Margot, but seems to be above everyone else, so there’s sort of a pecking order triangle that something linear. Very strange.