soapdragon

Christmas Markets - Anyone Going to One?

We are not very adventurous (and anyway have boys at school so can't dash off 'abroad') but I did look at the Oxford Christmas Market website as we thought it would be a treat for said boys to be out and about late and it's open till 8 Thursday to Saturday! Having looked through the list of 'exhibitors' though there don't seem to be very many specifically Christmas ones. The German and Eastern Europe ones all seem totally Christmas orientated.

Anyone planning on visiting a Christmas market and, if so, which one? Or did anyone go to one last year and how was it? 

25 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

The German and Eastern Europe ones all seem totally Christmas orientated

Don’t think you can consider lids and dishwash cloths Christmassy... you can buy just about anything on a German Christmas market. Although there are lots of Christmas themed stalls.

Hi SD my two friends and I went to Düsseldorf last year for markets, we had a great time. Much gluvine ( not sure of spelling) hot wine consumed. We also did a pub crawl tour where maximum age I think was suggested as 50, we are ahem a bit older and it was hilarious. We are off to Budapest on 22nd to have a look there. Next September we have booked to go to Mama Mia the Party,so no Christmas markets next year 😔

The Bath Christmas markets are excellent, but on a busy day they can be absolutely heaving - especially if you leave it closer to Christmas! I know a lot of people make a day or weekend of it, and do other things in the city too.

Bristol has lots of smaller indie markets, but you don't need long to look round them usually.

If you do ever get the chance to go abroad, I highly recommend the markets in Köln (Cologne) and Rüdesheim am Rhein, both are great - although the markets in Rüdesheim are a bit more 'romantic' in feel as they're set in the alleyways and squares of the little town, but there are loads and loads of stalls. A lot of it is food and drink, but you can find little dits and pieces for stocking fillers and presents, as sellers come from all over the world to be there! You can also take the cable cars up to the monument which has some great views, and there are also some really nice pubs to eat and drink in. You can also take a tour of the Asbach Brandy factory.

My favourites abroad are Trier and Heidelberg. In England I like Birmingham which was very Christmassy. Last few years we've been going to the one held at Chatsworth House. It's not German style but it has lots of local produce and a good Christmas atmosphere. Apparently it's bit of a nightmare to park at the weekend. I've heard very good things about York but I haven't been to that one. 

Birmingham is my hometown so go to those every year, particularly for the cheesy garlic bread. Lots to see and they have some unusual homemade gifts, they get busy at the weekend but are open until 9pm. I was in town last weekend and a few of the stalls are already up though they've moved to Digbeth this year due to the whole of Centenery square being rebuilt.

We have really nice Christmas markets in Kosice which my friends and family often fly out for, for lots of mulled wine! Last year I went to Budapest and Cologne markets which were really nice too, though much busier so you find yourself in a shuffling stream of people doing laps of the markets.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:15 PM, Grandmashazzie said:

Yes I am loving it Andy and will definitely come back in the spring with my OH.

When we went it was during the summer heatwave a few years ago. The hottest day was about 42 degrees!! We didn't go because we didn't think to bring bathing suits, but I'd have killed to get into the outdoor pools that week! :)

10 hours ago, Grandmashazzie said:

Ha Andy did you have decent boxers? 😀 When we were in baths there were lots of young lads, looked like stag dos in what were definitely underwear. Obviously going commando on way home. Also you can hire swimsuits in baths. Though not sure I would fancy that.

Ooooh, no! I fear I am not as 'brave' as drunk lads on stag dos! lol I'd love to go back again, I simply adored the place. I loved the Children's railway, which was so wonderfully scenic. The cog railway back down the hill was nice too... somewhat bumpy and loud, but very nice!

Ooh pretty lights!

Not been to a Christmas market before.  There's one in Exeter until the 15th December, but not sure what to expect.  It would be nice to see craft things, but most seem to be a variety of foods.  

Winchester had some very interesting things - my son and g/f made some brilliant purchases there for our presents.  Very useful and some very different marshmallows like Tunnocks Teacakes - only huge and had different flavoured fillings.  Awesome!  Darn it - not so close now!

Went to a local market last year with high hopes but ended up quite despondent.  A lot of what I would call imported tat and not hand made.  Those that appeared to be - I could do myself!

Love that first photo :D 

We've been down to the markets a few times to try the different mulled wines. There's a new stand selling Burek this year, feta cheesey filo pastry things. I've had them at Borough Market in London before but these are a third of the price and just as good :lol: 

Edited by Lewis
  • Like 1

It’s Glühwein GS 😉

Budapest has to be one of my favourite Christmas markets! I’m lucky that I travel all over Europe with work (way too much, but that’s the job 😂) but this year I didn’t get to see any apart from Edinburgh which is nice but not the same in the pouring rain! 

They are all very similar but I love it when it’s freezing cold. One of my favourites is Munich. A mug of Kinderpunsch (children’s mulled wine😂) and a wander around eating potato Rösti with apple purée! Then it’s started snowing. Heavenly.