Luvachicken

Marriages with Flubenvet question

Farm and Pet Place didn't have my usual 5kg bag of Marriages with Flubenvet, so as it was only a couple of pounds dearer and I really needed to worm them, I got them a 10kg bag instead.

Can I use it again in 3 months time or will the Flubenvet be of no use ?

Usually I throw away what is left, as I thought I'd read that you can't re-use it once opened, but this time there is an awful lot more to waste.

Or maybe someone nearby would like to share it if I can't re-use it ?

As long as it is stored correctly and kept dry I don't see why it can't be re-used, the expiry date will be on the bag.

We used to say worm quarterly with Flubenvet but it's better to get a Fecal Worm Egg Count done rather as they often don't need it and you'll get resistance to the wormer. I now use Ivermectin 1% to treat internal and external parasites at the same time :) 

If it's literally a couple days I wouldn't worry but often they don't need doing anyway, I would move away from worming every three months and just get them done when the worm egg count justifies it - or use Ivermectin annually (I would usually do mine late summer as it does Red Mite too).

On 1/26/2019 at 3:37 PM, Grandmashazzie said:

When I get Marriages with Flubenvet I just keep going until bag is empty,usually a few days over.

I only have little Pekins so they don't eat much of the 5kg bag I usually get, as I said I had to get the 10kg this time.

I think I'll tape it up and save it for next time.

To be honest, I hadn't wormed them for a while anyway - which I had felt guilty about but maybe now I don't need to feel that way.

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

I only have little Pekins so they don't eat much of the 5kg bag I usually get, as I said I had to get the 10kg this time.

To be honest, I hadn't wormed them for a while anyway - which I had felt guilty about but maybe now I don't need to feel that way.

Would the spot-on work out cheaper?

15 hours ago, Luvachicken said:

Just be aware that the drug element of the feed has a short shelf life

Sorry my bad, best to use it up!
I've just read the licence, a tub of Flubenvet has a shelf life of 5 years but once incorporated into feed it will remain stable for 8 weeks and then as the food starts to degrade etc there's no guarantee it will work after that...

On 1/29/2019 at 10:17 PM, ajm200 said:

Would the spot-on work out cheaper?

I do usually get the 5kg bag but they didn't have any in stock this time.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, The Dogmother said:

Just be aware that the drug element of the feed has a short shelf life

Thank you, I thought that was the case.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:44 PM, Lewis said:

If it's literally a couple days I wouldn't worry but often they don't need doing anyway, I would move away from worming every three months and just get them done when the worm egg count justifies it - or use Ivermectin annually (I would usually do mine late summer as it does Red Mite too).

So they only need to be treated once a year with Invermectin Lewis and that worms them and protects them from all crawlies?  You say you use one drop (1%) per 500 grams body weight - some of my seramas only weigh about 450 grams so would that be an overdose for them?