soapdragon

Hip Op

Just got back from the ortho consultant and am in shock! Hip replacement scheduled for January at the (relatively ;)) young age of 55. The surgeon is brilliant and very highly regarded for hips and I have every confidence in him but I'm really most concerned about recovery time although, I am fit and right weight for height. Just want it over and done and back to normal :$ Any Forum peeps had one? PM me if you prefer! Thanks.

Well, PL, I'd been back and forth to the GP with pain in the hip and down my leg for about 4  years and they just kept sending me off for physio (about 5 lots!) which never really worked. I finally had a bit of a hissy fit and demanded a referal to an ortho consultant. GP wasn't keen but I put my foot down - albeit gingerly! Ortho chap ordered an x ray which showed what looked like mild arthritis and also, because of the amount of pain that I was in and the difficult walking, an MRI which actually shows bone on bone in places so no wonder it hurts. There is also a massive labral tear (the labrum is a ring of cartliage which goes round the hip socket.) I gave in and bought a walking stick in Boots this afternoon!

I am viewing the next 2 months as time to prepare; my Pliates teacher is kindly putting together a workout specifically to stregnthen the right muscles so that I can do the every day. Unfortunately there is no medication that I can take that is effective; paracetamol doesn't touch it, ibuprofen is dodgy as I have a reflux problem and I'm terrified of coedine in case of addiction! I do wish I'd insisted on a referal sooner!

I'm sure it will go well for you, as you are young and fit.  My Mum and MIL have both had hip ops, when they were 75ish and 90!  My Mum had been in a lot of pain for a long time, but she had the op, stayed overnight, came home, used crutches for maybe 24 hours, did her exercises regularly, had a couple of days of me helping her with her socks and making sure she rested, and she had to keep the wound dry for something like 24/48 hours, but she was walking the day after the op, and back to normal pretty quickly, I wasn't needed half as much as I thought I'd be!  She wasn't supposed to drive for maybe 4 weeks, but was back behind the wheel before that.  It really gave her a new lease of life.  Even my MIL made a quick recovery, although she was a lot less mobile to start with for other reasons.  She had more intensive physio rather than the standard DIY exercises, and now walks better than she has for many years.  Good luck with it!

• Thanks 1

Sorry that you are in pain so much. That must be draining. So with what Daphne has said you can be up and running, pain free by March. That's an exciting thought for you. I think a ceremonial dumping of the cane would be in order. Are there any oils or anything to soothe the area temporarily? There is a German company called Kniepp that does incredible bath salts that actually do what they claim. They are available on amazon but double the price I've seen in shops. I think they also do oils and so on, might help a little. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Soapy

Sorry to be late to the party on this one - I can see you planning from here; we are too alike!

I haven't any personal experience in joint ops, but used Arnica assiduously when I had a hysterectomy and I healed super-quickly and with very little bruising. The nurses were all amazed. I also made sure to be up and about just as soon as possible, mainly to get the anesthetic out of my system.

Rosie had a bad accident 7 years ago, when she was hit by a car - among her injuries were 3 pelvic fractures. I also had her on the Arnica and she healed very quickly too.

One tip though - they won't let you out of hospital until you've opened your bowels (!) so get onto it as it's impossible to get any rest or sleep in there - eye mask and earplug necessary.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip, DM! All Bran for brekkie it is then - I'll pack some in my hospital bag :lol:. And my eye mask and ear plugs. Apparently they aim to get you up and about same day (if it's morning surgery) or the next day (if it was on the afternoon list). It's epidural anaesthetic and something to make you woozy so you don't remember it as they can generally chuck you out sooner if you don't have a full knock out job!

Seriously, in a way it feels good to have a date as this gives me something to work towards in terms of fitness, nutrition etc. ES was jokingly (at least, I think jokingly!) offering to put together a spreadsheet for me so that I could plan my daily excercise and diet for the next two months. That's Asperger's for you 🤣. Am I right in thinking that the Arnica needs to be started a few days before the event? 

It can be hard accessing up to date patient info that is relevant as it's only within the last few years that 'youngsters'  ;) like me have been given new hips so the vast majority of info on recovery relates to those of 70+ years old. Still, no substitute for common sense, I guess! 

Thanks, Luvvie. If an 80 year old can do it then so can I 8)

DM, can't believe that it's 7 yea rs since Rosie's accident! Trust she has no lasting effects?  Not that anything would hold your girl back, bless her :clap:

Edited by soapdragon
doh!

My friend had hip op at 50 years, she did really well, though ended up getting other hip done two years later, due to osteoporosis arthritis. She is great now after years of painkillers and soldiering on, they weren’t keen to operate in her 40s . We go to aqua fit and  Pilates, she walks for miles and really happy with results .

• Thanks 1

Yes, it was that long ago Soapy - hard to believe.

They had to be creative with my PKs too as I am allergic to Opiates; I had an epidural, like you'll have and they gradually weaned that off and I had NSAIDS - Voltarol - as suppositories initially, to avoid the stomach issues. When I briefly had them as tablets, they provided a buffer called Omeprazole.

Yes, the Arnica needs to be started about a week before the op.

Good luck xx

Wow! Soapy!  I’m only just catching up.   I’m not that far from you ( and go past frequently) so let me know if you need ferrying about, shopping done etc.    That is quick too.  My poor brother in law waited 18 months down in Dorset.  It’s made an enormous difference to him though.  So polish your dancing shoes for 6 months time! 

Aw, Thanks PW - very kind!) OH works from home - deep joy usually -  so will be round and about and boys are now 11 and 15 so pretty independant and off to and from the school bus just round the corner from us. I am determined to beat timescales for recovery...given that they are based on MUCH older peeps...so hope to be driving again in 4 weeks which the surgeon feels is probably realistic.  He offered the op  before Christmas if I wanted but there is too much going on.......Still up for a Notcutt's before Christmas if you can!?

We went to see the Remembrance sculptures up by the M40 today between junction 5 and 6 (Google 'M40 soldiers'......amazing!) and I did really struggle in mud and over the uneven ground. Scared of the invasive surgery but will be wonderful to just be able to walk upstairs normally. We take our amazing  bodies for granted and really we shouldn't!

Oooh Soapy!  If you are struggling with pain - there may be a course at the hospital for coping with pain.  OH's cousin has had many surgeries, knees, shoulder, neck - but it was the neck that had the worst pain.  She is highly allergic to most painkillers and anaesthetics, so even operations have been difficult.  Actually I lost track of how many she had!  But she and a few other patients volunteer at the hospital to help others understand and control their pain.  She was told she'd never be pain free as the nerve was so damaged before her operation on her neck, that while the op was a success, the nerve is still sending ouch signals to the brain! 

So do check it out - it might help before and after.

Thanks, Valkyrie. I'll follow that up. Sounds as though your OH's cousin had a really tough time of it; good on her for sharing her experiences to help others, though.

Am still awaiting confirmation of the date from the Admissions Co Ordinator. The surgeon told me 14th Jan at the appointment and that's what he put in his letter to my GP but Admissions are saying they don't know why he gave me that date because he's fully booked through to March! Hoping for a call back this afternoon with a 'final' date.

Touch wood, hasn't been too bad this week (last week was horrendous!) so might brave Pilates this evening to keep moving.

• Like 1

You've probably already thought of this, but I have found in the past that it's worth telling them that you are prepared to take cancellations and last minute spaces. It has always worked for me... typical was a major abdominal op, which was on the waiting list for about 3 months time - asked them to add me to the cancellations list and they called me the following Monday.... "can you come in on Wednesday?" 

A few years ago I saw the consultant about a knee op was told I would have to wait approx 3 months, so asked if I paid privately when could it be done he said "tomorrow phone my secretary to arrange". I phoned the secretary on Thursday afternoon and she asked if Monday would be better as she had had a cancellation and. Couldn't find anyone to fill it at such short notice.

10 hours ago, Ursula123 said:

A few years ago I saw the consultant about a knee op was told I would have to wait approx 3 months, so asked if I paid privately when could it be done he said "tomorrow phone my secretary to arrange". I phoned the secretary on Thursday afternoon and she asked if Monday would be better as she had had a cancellation and. Couldn't find anyone to fill it at such short notice.

OK......well I'll just have to sell one/both the children then :lol:

Oh, and STILL nothing from the Admissions Co Ordinator!

Edited by soapdragon
  • Sad 1

I called the Admissions Co Ordinator this morning (she was supposed to be catching up with the consultant on Wednesday then getting back to me!) and she doesn't work on a Friday - grrr! I've asked for a call back on Monday! 

PW, the surgeon doesn't have a secretary.....apparently they all share 'co - ordinators' now but, if I get nowhere on Monday then I shall try and leave a message for him. Am getting to the stage where I don't really care if it's Jan/Feb/March as long as I get a firm date. We do have a week's hol booked for the end of May though so I don't want to go beyond the end of March!

Edited by soapdragon
slippy fingers
  • Confused 1

Update - just back from spending over 5 hours in pre op clinic - ggggrrrrr. Got bloods, ECG, OT, meds etc done fairly quickly but then had to wait ages to see the consultant as someone had told him that today's pre op clinic had been cancelled so he had disappeared and they had to find him and drag him back. Honestly! 

Saw one of the 'fellows' so not my lovely Prof but, after some persuasion, do now have date of 28th Jan :dance: so feeling more positive and settled about it. Don't have to think about it till after Christmas when I have 'hip school' on 9th Jan which is where they drag a load of 'new hip' folk in and scare them all to death with what happens after etc! It's part of the 'Enhanced Recovery' scheme.

Edited by soapdragon
Technical Difficulties