soapdragon

Hip Op

So as not to continue to hijack the making things thread (which is FAR more interesting anyway) I just wanted to post that my op is now rescheduled for 11th Feb. Could be worse...it's only another 2 weeks - just under - but I have absolutley nothing in the diary between now and then as I'd been expecting to be incapacitated and certainly unable to drive. I'm tearing my hair out already......not helped by the fact that OH works from home 90% of the time so I feel that I absolutley should be 'contributing' around the house whilst he is there rather than reading! 

I had thought of volunteering at the local charity shop or primary school as can still drive, but am in a lot of pain so don't want to do too much (although converseley I need to keep moving!) However, I gather that, as I'm awaiting an op, their Health and Safety/insurance would preclude me from helping out. Frustrating in the extreme; I am not made for inaction.

Not long to go -  better than waiting months. 

Maybe batch cook for those days when you need to get something out the freezer.  Not necessarily for the convalescing but also for further down the line.  I experimented today - no longer eating spuds, well I have to occasionally as I love them and I'm allowed to have them - OH can't - but I want to lose weight.  So did a variation on a theme - a couple of onions in water, 1kg of lamb (hogget really - nicer flavour too) and added more water, with sliced swede, then added a ton of ground pepper (takes ages in our machine - think the batteries are up the creek) and threw in chick peas.  To thicken I added red lentils.  So much for Cornish pastie mix!  But surprisingly the pepper and hogget gave it the familiar flavour and we went back for seconds - or rather the left overs that were put into trays for the freezer.  The world is your oyster - bung it in a fish pie and freeze it too!  

I have already got several trays of lamb and lentil curry, chilli and Bolognaise sauce in the freezer from 'last' time but will get cake making again; all the extra cakes that I made last week seem to be rapidly dissapearing - I wonder why 😉 🙄? ES is doing cookery for his Silver D of E skill so I am going to get him working too!

• Like 1

Rather late to all this, but my OH has had both hips replaced, he was 49 on the first one and then second one done last April when he was 51. Thinking of you atm, hoping it has all gone well and all I can say is get on and do the exercises. OH recovered v quickly, your age and attitude will do you well. Hoping your pain is ok and thinking of you.

Thanks for all the good wishes from my lovely Omlet family! Am feeling more positive now after a horrendous first 24/36 hours it has settled down a bit  although sleeping on my back is resulting in disturbed sleep and backache; a small price to pay longterm. At least they sent me home with plenty of morphine!

Fortunately I was able to get out of bed on Tuesday afternoon only 6 or 7 hours after the surgery then fairly intensive physio Wednesday and I could have come home on Wednesday evening if the X ray department had managed to fit me in before the end of the day (standard procedure prior to discharge just to make sure they put it in the right place!). As it was, I was home at lunchtime on Thursday and have been managing to get out for a short walk each day as well as dealing with laundry and some light housework.

Keeping up with the excercises and trying to make sure that I rest but it's too tempting to 'get on with stuff'! Down to one crutch indoors and got myself showered and hairwashed this morning, which is always a real boost! There is a fair amount of swelling (from the rear I look like half of Kim Kardashian!) but not much bruising - my main concern is that I think I have a heamatoma where the canula went into my left wrist! Just off for a sit down before my daily constitutional as it's such a lovely day!

• Like 3

Well Done Soapdragon!! Yes, both of my husband’s hip replacements.. the first 24 hours post op were grim! Hip no 1 was morphine, then hip no 2 was build up of pain meds which actually caused stomach problems so I think for OH morphine was better. Thereafter each 24 hours in that first week, he improved a lot 😀. Have they told you about putting a moisturiser on, to help it? We also used arnica pillules to help with the bruising. Down to 1 crutch, fabulous , yes they were ditched quite quickly post op too. Rest is important as the exercises. Well done on shower etc, brilliant!  Fantastic to hear you are doing so well 😀😀😀.

Two weeks ago yesterday and now getting a bit more mobile tho still not able to bend down. Stitches were disolvable so just had the knotty ends cut and removed yesterday which is a bit more comfy. A very small scar - around 2.5 inches - so no wonder it's sore as Prof must have had to really yank the retractors back to get that saw in - gulp!

Off to the physio tomorrow and suspect there will be another appt thereafter. Still 2 weeks until I can try driving so going a bit stir crazy and feeling frustrated that I can't gallop around. Still walking x2 per day - tho' only one gallivant to get fresh dressings and the newspaper today as I'm still sore from walking down to the other end of the village yesterday to the surgery (OH brought me back in the car which was also a bit of a comedy getting into - will be even odder going as far as the next town tomorrow!)

Desperate to sleep on my side again....not for another 2 weeks sadly. Am helped to sleep initially by 10ml morphine which is great for the 'end of the day' acheyness (the only other painkillers I'm taking now are as breakfast as I've cut out the mid afternoon cocktail of paracetamol and nurofen) but I wake around 2.30am and then just doze. Brainfog still an issue (as you can probably tell!) esp mid afternoon but getting there!

Thanks for all the good wishes - they do help!!