Peter

Light Sussex chicken

I have 4 ISA Brown hens 18 month old and I have ordered a Light Sussex chicken 20 weeks old.

Dose any one know much about them- tame etc.

I only have room for 5 chooks. Well I could have more but I don't want over crowded and make them unhappy.

Peter

If I get a Light Sussex then I am going to take care in introducing her

to the others. I will let her out on the lawn each day with them

Then at night she will stay in the garage small coop. I will keep

doing this for 2 weeks and see how things go.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

Peter

It is best to keep her housing and run in sight of the others Peter, so that they can become accustomed to each other through the mesh, while they free range around it. We recommend that you introduce more than one bird at a time - single introductions usually fail.

There's a sticky on introductions in the FAQ section.

I've introduced ones before (not by choice) and have been quick and another long introduction .  Like DM says let them get the facing up to each other and pecking order sorted out through the mesh by sectioning off part of the run.  Don't push things she'd not be mature yet and they become more confident as they come into lay, even more so with your ISA's.  They're big hens if pure bred rather than hybrid but not always assertive.  Have a plan B if it doesn't work but expect it to take weeks.  Good luck if you go ahead. :) 

Sorry I have taken so long to reply, yes my ISA ladies area doing great, I have not purchased the new hen to go with them yet, I have been thinking you are correct I will get them when I can introduce two at the same time. They have freerang over a large lawn area. Peter 

• Thanks 1