mullethunter

Another Dog Attack :-(

This morning a dog broke through the hedge and got in with the chickens. I think we were out pretty quickly (OH had let them out when he got up to make a cup of tea and we were both back in bed logging on to WFH!) after it’s arrival - OH saw it from the upstairs window with Shirley in its mouth. I absolutely flew downstairs and out of the patio doors in pyjamas and bare feet shrieking at the dog which when it saw me came straight to me wagging its tail (despite the fact I was screaming like a banshee) and let me pick it up! Our garden borders a footpath so assuming it’s owner must be nearby I ran out there (still in PJs and bare feet) to find them but no-one! So I shut the dog in the shed and went to see how many we’d lost. Shirley had limped off under a bush but looked OKish but as well as her feathers there were huge piles of Margot the araucana’s black feathers and Duck the pekins white feathers. Penny and Amy the Wyandotte’s were running around screeching but clearly untouched, as was Camilla the Campine. One of the Dutch girls, Pop was up on the fence out of harms way, but the other two Dutch girls, Duck and Margot were nowhere to be seen. I quite quickly found Margot in an awful state huddled by our back fence. She was alive, but by the time I’d assessed the others she had died - awful way to go but at least relatively quick. I managed to get Shirley out from under the bush and she was clearly in a lot of pain and I could see a fair bit of skin so I put her straight in a cat box. It took absolutely ages to find my little Duck and there were so many feathers I was sure she was dead somewhere - I finally found her wedged up the side of the garage under a pile of wood - clever little chicken - as soon as she saw me she wriggled out and came running to me ☺️ It absolutely melted my heart. Somehow she seems fine - she’s just had all her floofy tail feathers pulled out. Then Snap the second of the Dutch girls just appeared from who knows where completely unharmed. At this point I took Shirley to the vets (stitches for 3 bad wounds - not sure whether she’ll make it or not - she’s in the henspital) and left OH looking for Crackle the final Dutch girl. My car broke down at the vets and I had to walk home with Shirley (obviously). But when I got here Crackle had also reappeared unharmed.

What an awful morning. One dead, one very seriously injured and one de-feathered. Could have been worse but still awful.

Oh golly, I am so sorry J

Treat them for shock, so bring them in for warmth, make sure they eat, drink and poop and dose them up on NutriDrops. Wish I was closer to come and help.

Treat yourself for shock too XX

Did you find the dog's owner, or is it still in your shed? :think:  Might be worth putting signs along the path to get their dogs on leads.

I am so sorry.  Losing birds to a predator is awful, we feel bad because we think we should have prevented it, even when its not our fault, and I am sure it will take you a while to get over it.  That is perfectly natural, so let yourself grieve and feel furious, I am sure the feelings will alternate, but you will come out the other side and I hope you'll still be positive.  Let us hope that Shirley makes and all the other girls are OK tomorrow.  And try not to beat yourself up unduly, I would pamper myself if I were you, and allow myself to be treated, you need to get over the shock and get your equilibrium back so you can deal with things medium term, including the hedging, the dog and its owner.  I am really sorry, life is bad enough at the moment without this personal hideousness.  RIP Margot.

OMG, MH...that's horrendous for you and your girls. I do hope that you have reported this to the local constabulary - allowing a dog to be out of control in a public place is, as I understand, an offence. 

Please take good care of yourself and OH after this horrible shock as well as your girls and let us all know how things progress. Sending virtual hugs and support.

Sorry - essay though it is I ran out of steam without finishing the entire story.

Whilst I was at the vets Duck was in the utility room (eating from the cat food bowls) while OH was out looking for the others, and then in he front room with him (not unusual for her - she’s almost a house chicken).

After I got back from the vets (which fortunately is only a few hundred yards away) with Shirley (who is in the utility room in a cat box) I went to the shed to see if the dog had a tag. He’s a largish terrier - very friendly - and did have a tag with an address and phone number. The address is just down the footpath from me so I went there but no one was home. So I rang the number and when someone answered I asked if he had a small white dog, he said yes, so I told him what had happened. He was incredibly apologetic, said the dog was locked in his garden (I pointed out that that wasn’t strictly true as it was in my shed having savaged my chickens) but was in Exeter and couldn’t get home until early afternoon. He asked me what I thought he should do and I told him It don’t care just ring me when you’ve sorted something out’. He called back a few minutes later to say either his mother (who’s in isolation - as am I as I have a cold) could come and collect dog now or he could come later. I said to come later, I’d keep dog in shed with water. So that’s what happened. When he turned up I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person look so hangdog. He offered to pay any expenses and he has already paid my vet bill (as of course he should). But then a little while later he texted to ask if the chickens were now secure as he couldn’t guarantee the dog wouldn’t come my way if it escaped again!!!!!!! I haven’t replied! MY chickens are secure in that they can’t get out of MY garden!!!! 

That said I have had my builder here to plan a new chain link fence along the hedge line - it has been long needed but that just isn’t really the point here. I mean from his point of view he’s lucky - it’s a lovely and very friendly little dog - someone could have stolen it and been long gone before he got home from work and even realised! My mum said I should’ve had it collected by the dog warden so he’d have to pay them too. And if it comes here again I will.

Anyway - the 6 who weren’t physically attacked see, fine now. They’ve had a quiet afternoon shut in their run except for half an hour out before bed. Duck, remarkably also seems OK. Will make sure I put tonic in their water tomorrow and give them all a dose of nutridrops.

Shirley isn’t looking good - have to wait and see in the morning. They had to put her under general to stitch her, and she’s had baytril and metacam and I have metacam for her for tomorrow. 

If it turns up again I’ll let the police know, but I think they’ve probably got a fair bit on at the moment so won’t this time.

Youre right Daphne - could well do without this now. Feel completely discombobulated by today 😕

• Sad 1

Oh golly, you poor things... all of you. Take care of yourselves, Shirley may not survive, but the B vits in the tonic and especially the NutriDrops will help with the stress, which birds are especially prone to. 

All dogs must be under control and their gardens fenced adequately to prevent escape - that is that law. I would be tempted to alert the dog warden anyhow as it sounds as if the dog is left out while he is as work. Poor dog is only doing what dogs do, but it needs to be controlled and is probably bored and looking for something to do.

Good luck with all the babies, keep them warm, dark and watered until they perk  up. Virtual hugs and positive thoughts sent your way.

Duck has awful bruises today where her feathers have been ripped out ☹️ but she seems fine in herself. 

Shirley is doing remarkably well. After I gave her her metacam this morning I pushed her beak into her water, and then she drank loads on her own (I thought I’d have to syringe water in). Since then she’s eaten an ashtray full of corn and sunflower hearts, tipped her water over, pecked me, tried to escape and laid an egg! She’s a bit quieter now but I expect laying was uncomfortable and that her metacam is wearing off.

The other 6 are a little more skittish than normal (the howling wind isn’t helping though) but otherwise seem fine.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

Duck has awful bruises today where her feathers have been ripped out ☹️ but she seems fine in herself. 

Shirley is doing remarkably well. After I gave her her metacam this morning I pushed her beak into her water, and then she drank loads on her own (I thought I’d have to syringe water in). Since then she’s eaten an ashtray full of corn and sunflower hearts, tipped her water over, pecked me, tried to escape and laid an egg! She’s a bit quieter now but I expect laying was uncomfortable and that her metacam is wearing off.

The other 6 are a little more skittish than normal (the howling wind isn’t helping though) but otherwise seem fine.

:lol:

Go Shirley!

On 3/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, mullethunter said:

Oh don’t worry - if it appears anywhere near my garden, or even in the footpath unaccompanied I’ll be shutting it in the shed and calling the police and dog warden.

Thankyou all for you kind words and thoughts - I’m not allowed to ‘like’ any more posts today apparently!

Hi, I see you have had a problem with a dog attack on your chickens, have you thought about a fox catching cage, I bought one two weeks ago as we had a problem with a fox digging under the chicken fence, we set the trap its humane, it catches foxes, and also catches my large dog all the time, if I loose the dog now I know where to find him. It is now surplus to requirements and is for sale if you are interested.  It's a UK manufactured item heavy duty, not a cheap flimsy import, it's a large size so the animal will go in.