Luvachicken

I think Peggy might be feeling poorly. Can I give her nutridrops ?

I thought Peggy looked a little bit peaky compared to the others yesterday.

Today, she looks a little bit hunched but it is difficult to tell properly because she hasn't grown all of her tail feathers yet.

I've seen her eating and drinking but she just looks a little bit sad. I can't hear anything on her chest or spot anything else that could be wrong.

She is approximately 15 weeks old. Apart from keeping an eye on her, can I give her some nutridrops or is she too young ?

Thanks @Lewis

I meant to say that she has also a little bit of weight - 60g - she did weigh 590g last Wednesday.

I've been watching her today, she isn't up to much in fact, she has been perched with her head in her feathers for the last 20 minutes.

And she is stood asleep rather than sat down like she normally is 😕

Typical...... I have one nutridrop bottle from 2015 basically empty, another brand new bottle shoved at the back of the cupboard also from 2015 and one more recent bottle that expired in November 2019.

Do you think i could use the 2019 bottle ?

I have some Avipro Avian I could give her instead ?

Peggy is looking more and more sad.

She just keeps out of the other's way.

If I get Nutridrops from Amazon they won't arrive until Monday.

The farm where I usually go is 1/2 an hour away and they weren't answering their phone to see if it was in stock. They will be closed now.

I did bring her in for a while but she wasn't happy on her own although she did peck at some of the food I gave her.

I'm not sure what to do for the best :sad:

If I take her to the vet they won't have much to go on other than she is a bit hunched.

• Sad 1

She has looked miserable all day :sad:

I phoned our usual vet, sadly the guy we used to see only works about once a year now, but there was S.

Unfortunately S knows nothing about chickens and when I took our rabbit once, he kept looking at a certain place on my body and I didn't like it.

I phoned a few other avian vets but they are fully booked or on holiday.

Managed to get into another local vet and see someone we have seen before but it is not until tomorrow morning.

Will let you know how we get on x

I’m sorry to hear Peggy is feeling poorly. I hate it when they just look miserable and you know it’s more than likely that the vet won’t be able to tell what’s wrong even though something clearly is. I’d do the same as you are though and take her anyway - it’s worth a try.

I would definitely give her some nutridrops. And I would just monitor her really closely to make sure she is eating but even more importantly drinking. Tempt her with something treaty if you think she might not be.

My Polly was very poorly this week - I think she was either stung or punctured by a poisonous thorn - I thought we were going to lose her but I managed to tempt her into eating some scrambled egg (just egg, no milk) just to keep something going in, and now she’s absolutely fine.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mullethunter said:

I’m sorry to hear Peggy is feeling poorly. I hate it when they just look miserable and you know it’s more than likely that the vet won’t be able to tell what’s wrong even though something clearly is. I’d do the same as you are though and take her anyway - it’s worth a try.

I would definitely give her some nutridrops. And I would just monitor her really closely to make sure she is eating but even more importantly drinking. Tempt her with something treaty if you think she might not be.

My Polly was very poorly this week - I think she was either stung or punctured by a poisonous thorn - I thought we were going to lose her but I managed to tempt her into eating some scrambled egg (just egg, no milk) just to keep something going in, and now she’s absolutely fine.

She was quite alert this morning and was first to drink the fresh water I put in.

She literally has a few minutes of looking perky and then a lot of minutes looking down.

I cooked her scrambled egg yesterday but she wasn't that bothered about it.

We've been to the vet who phoned another vet to ask for advice - she suggested Peggy might need worming.

But I said how could you worm a chick that isn't really eating. She decided to give her some Baytril anyway, just to make sure.

I've sent off Peggy's poops today as she gave me quite a nice supply in the cat box on the way back from the vets.

The vet also mentioned Coccidosis (sorry, can't spell today) but I thought that was a younger chick thing.

She did take the Baytril quite well earlier but it's amazing how much 2ml suddenly turns into a gallon and gets flicked everywhere.

Can she have mashed banana with the Baytril on - that way it wouldn't flick so much ?

I did try sweetcorn but she wasn't fussed on that.

I think it's because as chicks they haven't had any treats so she doesn't know what to do with them.

I'm glad Polly is feeling much better @mullethunter

Glad to hear Polly is much better.  Silly question perhaps, but do chickens like mashed bananas? And is it good for them?   
My Dotty seems much better today as well.  I gave her a bath and cleaned her up a bit, she’s been preening herself but loved the hairdryer!  And she’s just laid a very large egg which sadly I have to throw away. Or could I scramble it for the others? 

I wondered about the mashed banana as a friend of mine, that used to have chickens, always gave them mashed banana, I think every day.

Peggy is still sitting around but has at least cleaned some of her feathers today.

I guess she wouldn't do that if she was feeling extra poorly ?

37 minutes ago, Girly said:

Glad to hear Polly is much better.  Silly question perhaps, but do chickens like mashed bananas? And is it good for them?   
My Dotty seems much better today as well.  I gave her a bath and cleaned her up a bit, she’s been preening herself but loved the hairdryer!  And she’s just laid a very large egg which sadly I have to throw away. Or could I scramble it for the others? 

Is Dotty on antibiotics ? If she is then you can't really give her eggs to the others.

It's sad that it was a nice large egg though.

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

We've been to the vet who phoned another vet to ask for advice - she suggested Peggy might need worming.

@mullethunter

Maybe ask them for a bird wormer containing ivermectin? Maybe you do have a parrot wormer or the likes on your side of the pond. 
My Iverquantel is a liquid and given orally and contains ivermectin and praziquantel. Works very well.

48 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Maybe ask them for a bird wormer containing ivermectin? Maybe you do have a parrot wormer or the likes on your side of the pond. 
My Iverquantel is a liquid and given orally and contains ivermectin and praziquantel. Works very well.

I wonder if you can send drugs in the post 😎 ?

I will have a look and see what I can find.

Thanks @Cat tails

On 4/17/2021 at 4:52 PM, Cat tails said:

How is Peggy doing?

She is definitely better, thanks 😊

She has been doing more chicken things -  pecking, digging and cleaning her feathers - and not so much sitting hunched in the same place.

There was even some food in her crop today.

She now weighs 520g which has stayed constant over the last couple of days - just need to hope she puts the weight back on.

Peggy is pretty good at taking the medicine so that does make it a lot easier.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, Patricia W said:

Nutridrops are now called Power Drops.  I’m waiting for the human version. Magic stuff! 

It's a good job you said about this @Patricia W as the guy who served me couldn't find it in the cabinet.

Luckily I spotted the name and told him they had changed it to Power Drops - at least he will know for next time.

Just a shame that the price had gone up from £9.99 to £13.75 - he blamed Brexit 🙄

Peggy continues to do well and, all be it small, she has gained 6g today - that's definitely a step in the right direction.

• Like 4

Peggy's worm count was clear.

I just got the results today.

Was just wondering though if certain girls prefer certain sized food ?

I bought mine Garvo growers pellets but sometimes Peggy just pecks the little bits.

I'm sure she must eat some of the bigger pellets and I know the pellets break easily but just wondered if she lost weight because she was ill or because she has not been eating the pellets properly.

We bought the Garvo a good few weeks ago so if it was the fact she wasn't eating the bigger pellets I think she would have lost a lot more weight earlier on and I would have noticed when I weighed her. 

I guess I'm just looking for reasons for why she was poorly.