Geoid

Bags!

Today I went to argos to buy a new rucksack (my old one broke :( )

I got the rucksack, and i was asked if i needed a bag, I said no, as it is a bag. the rucksack had a plastic outer bag on it. Fair enough, needs to be protected from dust etc, so i opened the outer bag and had a look at the rucksack. Inside it I found a free water bottle, which was in another bag, also, the label/tag thingy, that you have to cut off anyway, had a little bag around it too!

And I only wanted 1 bag in the first place!

It's daft isn't it. We should be able to leave any unecessary packaging at the checkout and let supermarkets pay to have it dealt with. Save us having to pay for the council to do it, either through council tax or extra charges. And why do they have to have plastic carrier bags, why not go back to using big brown paper bags?

I usually manage to remember my "bags for life" but if I forget it makes me really cross! I hate the way they put a couple of items in a bag then start on a new one. I try to load big stuff straight into the trolley then into the boot so use as few bags as possible.

When we were in Holland on holiday a few years ago, the only bags in the supermarket (a tiny one on the campsite) were paper. We survived and so did the food :lol:

I have some turtle bags, but they're quite new and I tend to forget them, even though I keep one in my coat pocket, one in my car and one by the front door!! :shock: Surely after a while I'll start remembering them... problem is if I take a different jacket the one in the coat doesn't help, same if I walk to local shops...

In Corsica too they give you only paper bags in the supermarkets, and you have to pay for each one!!! Seemed to work fine, as long as you have a car to put them in, as they are not so easy to carry (handles tear very easily).

I find that a good way of remembering to take bags for life to the supermarket is to use them for putting your items that need to be taken for recycling. I have three large Tesco bags for life one with plastic bottles in one with cardboard and one with drinks cartons and carrier bags.

Most big supermarkets have recycling banks therefore you can do both jobs at once.

I'm terrible at remembering my bags too. I keep wishing the supermarkets would either stop supplying the plastic ones, or start charging for them. I'm sure I'd remember then.

I watched a survey thingy on the TV recently about the worst culprits for packaging, and M&S came out worst. When the food had been unwrapped the amount of throw away packaging was eye opening.

The thing that grates with me is that they insist on trying to help you pack so if you haven't finished putting things on the belt when they start to ring them up and you aren't keeping an eye out you have all these ruddy plastic bags before you know it :evil::roll::evil:

With my dad in the house I have a cupboard bulging with them as he insists on using them :evil:

My personal :evil: - I pick out loose veg, say peppers or parsnips, for example, put them in my basket/trolley and then put them on the conveyor belt just as they are. I'm usually only shopping for one, so there are only a couple of each, not handfuls.

Then the checkout assistant picks them up to weight them, gets a clear plastic bag out and starts putting them into it! I have to keep watch so I can stop them.

Why oh why do Morrisons insist on:

1. vacuum packing individual peppers (do they think we're not capable of washing them?)

2. putting little plastic windows in their mushroom bags (I know what mushrooms look like - I don't need to see them)

3. hanging up bunches of bananas with those horrible plastic hooks (is it such a hardship for the checkout operator to weigh them?)

I avoid the peppers and bananas but I think they may complain if I put a load of loose mushrooms on the checkout thingy :lol:.

I agree, it's totally stupid the amount of packaging some things get, especially as a lot of it is quite difficult to recycle. This is especially annoying with some orange and lemon cremes Mum got given for her birthday, they came in...

A cardboard box with a plastic window in it, then a non-recyclable plastic tray inside and then they were individually wrapped in foil.

Bizzare! You could quite easily have fitted twice as much chocolate in the box if the tray wasn't there.

my way to cut down bag usage when i shop?? buy one... i mean like one i could use for school and the over sized hand bags and things... then you can fit all your shopping into it AND look cool! :D

plus if you buy them from primark they are dead cheap!!! i mean i bought a cherry bag for 2 pounds!! and i am using it for school!!! :D:D

who needs shoes when you can have bags! :D

Back onto the subject of bags...You know those penguin book bags you can buy in the style of the old peguin books, with the two strips of colour at the top and bottom?

Well Vikki bought my Mum one as a birthday present and yesterday whilst she was out she got stopped in the street and was talked to about Virginia Woolf books as on one side of it it had a title of one!!! Now she couldn't admit she'd never read any Virginia Woolf books could she!!! :lol::lol::lol:

After that she then promptly turned it around so it showed the other title!

Edited by Guest

At least the local M&S asks if you want a bag now. I try to remember to take my BHWT one as I use it everyday to take my lunch to work. In the supermarket I scan and pack my own stuff that way I can use as few bags as possible. However, I take great delight in going round the supermarket with my Farmer's market and BHWT bags. I keep a few spare bags for life in the FM bag that aren't that supermarkets too!

I have noticed that the supermarket has brought out a jute bag that closely resembles the local farmer's market bag but has their own organic logo on the side!

If I do end up with the thin bags I use them to line the rubbish bin.

Liz

Good for you Liz

If I do end up with the thin bags I use them to line the rubbish bin.

Liz

I used to do that, then realised that they go to landfill, where they take around 10 years to decompose and in the meantime pose a hazard to wildlife (i felt a right doughnut!), so now I use the biodegradable cornstarch bin bags

so now I use the biodegradable cornstarch bin bags

That's interesting Clare I didn't know you could get cornstarch bin bags, I'll look out for them. The only trouble is they contain what little I can't recycle (such plastic wrappers or boxes) so even if the bags degrade the contents won't. But it all helps.

Liz